Android and IOS ports

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

mammoth5000

Post by mammoth5000 »

I think you misunderstood my post then..

I said what needs to be done is someone to write opengles for both GrimE and Myst III engine...

BUT. Myst III would probably work fine with just SDL (Software renderer) which also has not not been implemented yet.
trev186

Post by trev186 »

So update from Lubomyr.

He got the android version working with an SDL renderer

"successfuly build and run with pelya's sdl-lib but at this moment i see only gui on screen Later i will be test with games"
trev186

Post by trev186 »

So update from Lubomyr.

He got the android version working with an SDL renderer

"successfuly build and run with pelya's sdl-lib but at this moment i see only gui on screen Later i will be test with games"
Gillou68310

Myst III ogles1 plugin

Post by Gillou68310 »

Hi guys,

I managed to port the Myst III OpenGL plugin to GLES1 today!
Actually it was a lot easier than I though.

Here's a test apk:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27654797/Myst3/residualvm.apk

Unfortunately it's not playable right now because the game isn't stretched to fullscreen and for some reasons the mouse move isn't working but the mouse click is working.

If you want to test the ingame make a savegame on pc, copy it to your phone and load from the launcher. Or use my savegame (need french version):

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27654797/Myst3/GILLES.M3S

I let someone else fixing the two above issues cause right know I will focus on porting grim OpenGL plugin to GLES1.

I will send the source tomorrow cause I left it at the office and I'm already at home right now.

Gilles.
mammoth5000

Post by mammoth5000 »

wow..
this really needs to be sent as a pull request into the main ResidualVM
trev186

Re: Myst III ogles1 plugin

Post by trev186 »

Gillou68310 wrote:Hi guys,

Here's a test apk:

Unfortunately it's not playable right now because the game isn't stretched to fullscreen and for some reasons the mouse move isn't working but the mouse click is working.

If you want to test the ingame make a savegame on pc, copy it to your phone and load from the launcher. Or use my savegame (need french version):

I let someone else fixing the two above issues cause right know I will focus on porting grim OpenGL plugin to GLES1.

I will send the source tomorrow cause I left it at the office and I'm already at home right now.

Gilles.
Awesome!

Can u test with grim fandango ?

If speed is fixed then we just need to tweak controls and the ui !
mammoth5000

Post by mammoth5000 »

trev186 wrote:

Here's a test apk:

Gilles.
Awesome!

You're rushing a bit here.. the GLES plugins need to be working fine first... then worry about the controls..
trev186

Post by trev186 »

mammoth5000 wrote:
trev186 wrote:

Here's a test apk:

Gilles.
Awesome!

You're rushing a bit here.. the GLES plugins need to be working fine first... then worry about the controls..
From the sounds above I took it to mean he had the open gl plugin ported and working in the Android .apk

Sounds like the screen is not the right size and that the mouse it not responding.

Just curious what the fps is and if he can run Grim Fandango the same way
Gillou68310

Post by Gillou68310 »

Just to give some informations, the myst plugin was easy to port to ogles1 because the code was small and quite easy to understand that's why I begin with it. The grim opengl plugin is more complicated and the code is bigger so this mean more work. I don't expect any result till next week.

Right now I'm experiencing some compilation problem as the libGles doesn't seems to be found during the linking operation, I have to figure this out before making any progress!
trev186

Post by trev186 »

Just got home. I am going to test the version posted in this thread for Android now.

But Lubomyr has posted his own version as well for ResidualVM

http://anddev.at.ua/load/residualvm_0_2 ... y/1-1-0-19

So I will test both and see how they go.

He appears to have most of the onscreen controls sorted out without the need for a secondary app on Android

Now I just need to dig up my copies of Grim Fandango...closet here I come
mammoth5000

Post by mammoth5000 »

I get the feeling you seem mostly concerned about yourself playing GF. No port for ResidualVM will be super fast on any handheld device until an opengles renderer is written which is what Gillou68310 is attempting and it is what is needed for everyone.
trev186

Post by trev186 »

mammoth5000 wrote:I get the feeling you seem mostly concerned about yourself playing GF. No port for ResidualVM will be super fast on any handheld device until an opengles renderer is written which is what Gillou68310 is attempting and it is what is needed for everyone.
Not at all what im saying....I would love to see open GLES working on residualvm for mobile devices. At some point someone mentioned it needed open gl or SDL setup. Not sure if both or either or are required but I asked a dev who has made several android apps with SDL to take a look at the source.

Just excited at the thought of replaying grim fandango on my phone.

I tested Lubomyr's version last night.

I had to tweak the settings somewhat to get it to work properly on my device. However once I did and tried to launch grim fandango and/or myst 3 the app would crash.:(

Seems to be working for Lubomyr not sure how well though.
Gillou68310

Porting opengl plugin to gles1

Post by Gillou68310 »

Hi guys, here some news on the actual state of the port:

- Game is running fullspeed on my galaxy s3!!! (may be slower on less powerfull devices).

- There are 4 graphical issues I haven't fixed right now:

a) Models are buggy (This is only happening on android, linux and windows build don't have this bug, I'm trying to track it down right now)

b) There's a depth issue on most scene where models are drawn over the background bitmap (This is due to the "drawDepthBitmap" function not being ported to gles1 right now, actually I have no idea how to port this function for the moment, I will definitely need some help on this one!)

c) Menu and subtitles are buggy (this is due to the "copyStoredToDisplay" function not being ported to gles1 right now)

d) On some scene shadows are rendered twice (This is happening on linux too so I will wait till the dev found a fix for this one, for now I just removed shadows)

As a side note, switch between opengl and software has to be done in the launcher, ingame switch isn't working right now.

-Here's the source code:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27654797/residualvm.zip

The apk could be found in the "build_Android" folder. But for now I just hardcoded the resolution to 1280*720 to fit my galaxy s3 resolution so it will only work on screen with same resolution. Until I fix this I can make other builds for specific resolution if someone want to test the apk on is phone, just ask.

The above source also include my work on gles1 port of myst3.

Gilles.
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

Actually, those issues were the reason I've been saying that GLES 2.0 is the only way to go here, since as far as I know there is no glDrawPixels/glReadPixels in GLES, and no shader-support in GLES 1.x.

This is not to say that I'm completely sure it's impossible to do this, just that I think it would be easier to do with GLES 2.0
Gillou68310

Post by Gillou68310 »

Actually glReadPixels is present in GLES1, but you're right there is no shader support and that's a shame!

Concerning the depth issue I'm wondering if this could be done using framebuffer objects in order to store depth information from the scene into a texture?

However the "GL_OES_framebuffer_object" and "GL_OES_depth_texture" extensions are needed and I'm not sure how many android phones actually includes this extensions!