Those MP2 files...

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

dudesome

Those MP2 files...

Post by dudesome »

I downloaded your videos for broken sword 2. Unfortunatly the files are mp2. I didnt even know mp2 are also video files. I cant convert those files in ANY format. I couldnt even find a codec for that. The only way to open those files were with a software DVD player.

Plz, I need to convert those files in mpg or avi!!

THX!

dudesome
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Those MP2 files...

Post by eriktorbjorn »

dudesome wrote:I downloaded your videos for broken sword 2. Unfortunatly the files are mp2. I didnt even know mp2 are also video files. I cant convert those files in ANY format. I couldnt even find a codec for that. The only way to open those files were with a software DVD player.

If you have the original Smacker cutscenes, you can probably use the RAD Video Tools for that.
dudesome

Post by dudesome »

That's my problem! The original sailing.smk is not working properly! Don't know what the hell is going on!

Maybe somebody could send me that file? It should only be like 2 megs something...

upload to rapidshare.de or something! would be very nice!
jumpjack

Re: Those MP2 files...

Post by jumpjack »

dudesome wrote:I downloaded your videos for broken sword 2. Unfortunatly the files are mp2. I didnt even know mp2 are also video files. I cant convert those files in ANY format. I couldnt even find a codec for that. The only way to open those files were with a software DVD player.

THX!

dudesome
Look for "Super (C)" on Google. :wink:
dudesome

Post by dudesome »

im not sure but i think if i have bought software, i can also download this software if i want to. omg, its only a .smk file not a game...
clem

Post by clem »

dudesome wrote:im not sure but i think if i have bought software, i can also download this software if i want to. omg, its only a .smk file not a game...
and I'm sure you're wrong - forum rule #0:

No, it's not okay to request parts of a game either when your media is damaged.
dudesome

Post by dudesome »

cant comprehend that rule, but k. i was talkin bout the copyright law, i thought the board's not gonna have stricter rules than that ROFL. (still scummvm offers also parts of games)

nevertheless, thanks :)
Last edited by dudesome on Mon May 29, 2006 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Posting on this english-only forum in german is rather rude (but considering the content, I assume that was your intention).

Your statement about "the copyright law" is based on some misconceptions. First off, considering that ScummVM is an international program, you really have to talk about "the copyright laws". Secondly, even under the German copyright law, no, you are not entitled to download parts of a game just because you once owned it. That's a common misconception, but there is actually nothing in German law that backs this up. However, due to the minority of the perpetration, it is usually ignored by authorities resp. the companies owning the rights. Not so if it occurs in a large scale organized fashion. Hence we must be stricter when it comes to complying to the law than you (you probably can get away with what you are doing, that, BTW, doesn't make it legal).

Finally, yes, we are offering parts of games. In each single case, though, we do so with the express permission of the right owners of these games resp. their parts. So your argument is completely void in all regards.
dudesome

Post by dudesome »

i still can't belive that im not allowed to get files i legally own. gonna change my post into good ol' english.

edit: erm, i'm austrian so i don't care about german laws.
clem

Post by clem »

I'm Austrian too, and I just decided that I don't care about the laws of physics... weird, stuff still tends to fall down ;)

btw I doubt the Austria copyright laws differ much from the German ones regarding downloading copyrighted files
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

dudesome wrote:edit: erm, i'm austrian so i don't care about german laws.
Sorry, I thought you were living in Germany based on your email address, but that apparently was a hasty generalization :-).

However, I *do* live in Germany, and so, not matter whether I like it or not, I am forced to care about German laws, which also influences my responsibilities on this web board (even though it is hosted in Australia. I think... :-).
Del

Post by Del »

dudesome wrote:i still can't belive that im not allowed to get files i legally own.
The problem is that distributing copyrighted files is only allowed if you have the permission of the copyright owner, so your own ownership status is irrelevant in this case. None of us have the permission to distribute any files from the games (excepting those that the ScummVM team has permission to distribute on their website).

Copyright is the right to distribute, not obtain.