ResidualVM 0.1.0 - "The Edge of the World" Release

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

somaen
ScummVM Developer

ResidualVM 0.1.0 - "The Edge of the World" Release

Post by somaen »

The day is finally upon us, after 9 years, 4 months and 6 days, we are proud to announce the first stable release of ResidualVM, and what day would be better for this occasion, than the end of the world as we know it. (or so the Mayan Mechanical Gremlins told us).

This initial stable release of ResidualVM now opens the world of Grim Fandango to a modern audience, whether you are using Windows, Linux or OS X, you'll now be able to take your 4 year journey of the soul, and find out if that compass in the handle actually WILL come in handy.

We would like to note that, while we have tested ResidualVM quite thoroughly, there MIGHT be cases where you end up in a situation where the game is incompletable, some of these were actually also existent in the original game (while the game itself is designed to be dead-end-free, the bugs in it weren't, nor were our own). So, please follow the old adventure-game mantra of "save early, save often".

Over the past few years a lot has happened, even though the code base didn't reach a mature state until the past year. Lots of bugs have been fixed, even quite a few bugs left in the original game have been resolved. The team would like to thank all those that have been involved with getting ResidualVM to this point for their efforts.

Finally, we would like to thank:
  • The LUA developers, for creating a nice compact script interpreter.
    Tim Schafer, for obvious reasons, and everybody else who helped make Grim Fandango a brilliant game; and the EMI team for giving it their best try.
    Bret Mogilefsky, for managing to create a SPUTM-style 3D LUA engine, and avoiding the horrible hack it could have been.
So, jump on over to our downloads-page, and grab a copy of ResidualVM 0.1.0 (but don't forget to download the 1.1-patch for Grim Fandango while you're there).
Last edited by xLoial on Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nitrus

Post by Nitrus »

Finally! Congratulations to the whole team, and please, keep up the great work!
mogul

Post by mogul »

Way to go, guys, and thank you so much!
George22

Post by George22 »

Great news, thanks!
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Fantastic!
cruxic

Post by cruxic »

I've just finished a nostalgia filled session with Grim Fandango, on Linux! Amazing work guys, keep it up! :D
Fooruman

Post by Fooruman »

Congrats to everyone on the team, this is a huge milestone and what you folks have accomplished is truly extraordinary!

I promised myself long ago that I'd finally play through Grim Fandango the whole way (for the first time ever, I'm ashamed to admit) when you released 1.0.

Today is the day I start said playthrough. Can't wait, and it's all thanks to you!
JamesWoodcock

Post by JamesWoodcock »

Many congratulations to everyone involved. A truly superb project that deserves great success and continued development :)
Saljr

Help a fan with bad luck

Post by Saljr »

Hi everyone.

I have my cd's for grim fandango, but my windows computer broke down a long time ago so I never got to finish the game. I have been dying to play it since and now that I have found residualvm 0.1.0 I finally can!

Except I have one problem...

Since it has been so long, CD 1 has received a small scratch which has incidentally lead to my MOVIE03.lab file to become unreadable. All my Lab files except for that one work.

I was hoping one of you could provide me with this file. It would mean the world to me.

Thank you,

A Tim Schafer backer
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

While I'm sad to hear that, we cannot allow any such thing, rule #0 of the forums explicitly forbids any form of piracy, even when you own the original media, and the request is for only a subset of that media.

So, sadly you'll have to buy yourself a new copy of the game.
Saljr

Post by Saljr »

I see, well thank you for your reply. Its going to be a challenge finding another copy of the game. Got very lucky the first time.