Bigger screen on Linux

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Kalma

Bigger screen on Linux

Post by Kalma »

I guess the highest resolution for Grim Fandango at the moment is 640x480 and while playing with fullscreen it's bit silly, with big monitors there is big black borders.

I used xrandr to have a smaller resolution, but the borders are still there.

I couldn't find much help on this in the forum except someone used magnifier. So i try that also and it works quite nicely.

I'm using 'xzoom -source 635x480'

http://postimage.org/image/s43mf7o3f/

If you have other or better solutions tell about them.

If the xzoom and mouse+keyboard could be locked to the ResidualVM maybe you could play the zoom on second desktop.

I was also thinking if ResidualVM had possibility to make video/stream video to a file it could be watched and played
with mplayer/vlc.

Ok, maybe i'm little bit lost here...
giucam

Post by giucam »

Mmh... black borders? That's new to me, can you post a screenshot?

Anyway, some time in the future ResidualVM will be able to increase the resolution.
I was also thinking if ResidualVM had possibility to make video/stream video to a file it could be watched and played
with mplayer/vlc.
There's no possibility of doing so (yet).
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

You will always get SOME borders, unless you use a 4:3-monitor, as the game simply doesn't have the wide data to fill in the edges, however we already have SOME code in place to scale the game within the same aspect-ratio. (But this is currently disabled for end-user usage, since there are still issues with it, chief among them: Soft-rendering can't do this scaling)

Adding video-output shouldn't be TOO hard, just capping the framerate at 25 fps, and dumping the framebuffer every frameswap to file (possibly needing some file handling afterwards to produce usable files, adding BMP-headers or something).

This would of course require a fast enough computer to keep a constant framerate of 25 fps. And some software to merge together the files.

The sound would need to be dumped in some fashion too.
Kalma

Photo with borders.

Post by Kalma »

Hi here is a link to camera shot of screen http://s7.postimage.org/in498pi23/grim_borderphoto.jpg
Kalma

Post by Kalma »

somaen wrote:
Adding video-output shouldn't be TOO hard, just capping the framerate at 25 fps, and dumping the framebuffer every frameswap to file (possibly needing some file handling afterwards to produce usable files, adding BMP-headers or something).

The sound would need to be dumped in some fashion too.
For video streaming and playing it with say mplayer i was mainly thinking the possibility to scale/play it bigger . The residualVM would still be taking care of playing the audio and handle the controls.

And of course some people want to make game play videos so they will be happy of the possibilty of video/audio streaming to a file.

But as giucam said;
giucam wrote: Anyway, some time in the future ResidualVM will be able to increase the resolution.
And thats what i was after, so it will happen some time in future.