Error Running Game: Game data not found

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Rob

Error Running Game: Game data not found

Post by Rob »

Massive apologies if this has already been covered; I have had a look through the forums and couldn't find anything on it.

I am running a Macbook Pro, 2.4Ghz, Core i5, with Mac OS X 10.7.5 (Lion).

I have an old 2cd version of Grim Fandango - as far as I can remember, there were no subtitles in the credits, so presumably it was not patched.

I have downloaded the MacOS X 10.4+ Intel Disk Image version of Residual VM (The powerplay one doesn't seem to be supported), and the ResidualVM interface will start up.

I've copied the .LAB files and GRIM.TAB file to a folder on my desktop calle Grim LAB files, and put the gfupd101.exe patch in the folder as well.

When I click 'Add Game' in residualVM, I can select my Grim LAB files folder, which appears to be recognised. However, the ID comes up as Grim-Win, the name as Grim Fandango (Windows/English), and the default platform is windows, although I can change this to Apple iOS (or Macintosh).

When I click 'OK', the new game is listed in the ResidualVM pane as Grim Fandango (Windows/English) (Or Grim Fandango (iOS/English) if I change the name), but when I click start I get the error message:

Error running game: Game data not found

I wasn't sure whether I needed to do something more with the ResidualVM build, so I have followed all the steps listed here:

http://wiki.residualvm.org/index.php/Bu ... ResidualVM

I have installed Xcode 4, Macports, and the other ones installed via the terminal (not that I really understand these things, but the instructions seemed to work), but when finally running ResidualVM, precisely the same error message appears again.

I realise this is probably the most basic error possible, but I would really appreciate it if someone could offer me some advice. Many Thanks, Rob
YakBizzarro

Post by YakBizzarro »

Hi!
The platform is the one for which the game was designed for, so leave it to "Windows" and the game will run.
Nitrus

Post by Nitrus »

Have you tried running one of the stable builds from the Downloads page instead of building it?

For example, this one?

Also, make sure all of the *.LAB files are contained in the folder, there are a lot of them, including DATA, MOVIE, VOX, YEAR#MUS...

P.S.: I think this was the list of needed files, although I don't know if it's accurate, I've done some modding in that folder...

Code: Select all

CREDITS.LAB
DATA000.LAB
DATA001.LAB
DATA002.LAB
DATA003.LAB
DATA004.LAB
Gfupd101.exe
GRIM.TAB
MOVIE00.LAB
MOVIE01.LAB
MOVIE02.LAB
MOVIE03.LAB
MOVIE04.LAB
VOX0000.LAB
VOX0001.LAB
VOX0002.LAB
VOX0003.LAB
VOX0004.LAB
YEAR0MUS.LAB
YEAR1MUS.LAB
YEAR2MUS.LAB
YEAR3MUS.LAB
YEAR4MUS.LAB
EDIT: Try YakBizzarro's sugestion first :)
Rob

Thanks - it works!

Post by Rob »

Thanks YakBizzarro, it worked; I can't believe I didn't try that earlier!

Also thanks for the file list Nitrus - I've checked, and I have them all, which is good to know.

Now, onto re-living Grim Fandango!
Saljr

I would love some help so I can finally play grim fandango.

Post by Saljr »

Hi everyone.

I have my cd's for grim fandango, but my windows computer broke down a long time ago so I never got to finish the game. I have been dying to play it since and now that I have found this program I finally can!

Except I have one problem...

Since it has been so long, CD 1 has received a small scratch which has incidentally lead to my MOVIE03.lab file to become unreadable. All my Lab files except for that one work.

I was hoping one of you could provide me with this file. It would mean the world to me.

Thank you and kind regards,

A Tim Schafer backer
giucam

Post by giucam »

What language? German? It may not be the scratch which makes data003.lab not readable.

EDIT: Sorry, i read data003.lab but it was movies003.lab. Forget everything.