Android porting thread.

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Scale

Post by Scale »

33-37 fps on a galaxy note 2.

Bugs:
No z buffer
Characters fully lit
Jorge Leibur

Post by Jorge Leibur »

53.25 FPS, Galaxy Note (N7000) with ParanoidAndroid Custom Rom, Looks Abesolutely Playable, Videos play at 57 fps.
GPU: Mali 400

I'll be testing Grim Fandango Retail US/ES.
Current Bugs: No Z-Buffer, Characters Fully Lit, Crashes While Saving.

Button Layout Looks just like transparent squares, an option to hide the buttons and the fps meter in future releases would be useful.
I'll be watching this, it's awesome.
prefect47

Post by prefect47 »

Same performance as before, but the speech seems out-of-sync and stutters every 5-10 seconds. Unsure if this is due to the crappy (slow) user flash memory that all TF700T tablets have but I doubt it.
In fact, audio in general seems delayed compared to video. Easily heard when walking down in the garage.

The virtual keys seem to register more than one event per touch. Very noticable when selecting conversation as it jumps two lines per tap most times.

The keys also get stuck sometimes, so that they light up and stay lit even if I'm not touching the tablet at all.

Also, how do I get Manny to run? Which key is mapped to "shift", or is there a single key for running?
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

prefect47 wrote:The virtual keys seem to register more than one event per touch. Very noticable when selecting conversation as it jumps two lines per tap most times.

The keys also get stuck sometimes, so that they light up and stay lit even if I'm not touching the tablet at all.

Also, how do I get Manny to run? Which key is mapped to "shift", or is there a single key for running?
I get all three of these problems as well on my Xperia Arc S. I think it must be something to do with my device if others can get Manny to run. I have tried using the button to the top right of the arrow buttons!
sa3dany

Post by sa3dany »

Device: Samsung Galaxy S3
FPS: Grim Fandango 31-33
The game was smooth.
Botje

Post by Botje »

I've been working together with hennymcc, and I'm happy to say we finally nailed the z-buffering and lighting issues!
Oh, screenshotting is implemented now as well, so saving/loading should work.

I've uploaded a new APK that does eight lights at a time, which does drop the FPS on my nexus 7 from 60 to 45 in hq.set.

Can you guys check if your framerate is still okay? Thanks!

Next up after this: better controls!
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

With the latest update Manny has turned almost completely white due to the brightness of the lighting and the frame rate has dropped from around 35-37fps to 2-5fps.
Jumba

Post by Jumba »

Update works great for me, excellent job.

Nexus 7 - consistent 60FPS+

Praying for better controls. ;)

Edit: outside the funfair when talking to the clown, both Manny and the clown are not lit correctly. Very dark.
hennymcc

Post by hennymcc »

Graxer wrote:With the latest update Manny has turned almost completely white due to the brightness of the lighting and the frame rate has dropped from around 35-37fps to 2-5fps.
Is it better with this apk?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/chfzygz19rqix ... dualvm.apk
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

hennymcc wrote:
Graxer wrote:With the latest update Manny has turned almost completely white due to the brightness of the lighting and the frame rate has dropped from around 35-37fps to 2-5fps.
That's much better! :) The lighting looks almost perfect now and the frame rate is around 25fps. Still a bit slower than before, but its a huge improvement and completely playable!
hennymcc

Post by hennymcc »

Graxer wrote:
hennymcc wrote:
That's much better! :) The lighting looks almost perfect now and the frame rate is around 25fps. Still a bit slower than before, but its a huge improvement and completely playable!
Seems as if the Sony Xperia Arc S also has the same Adreno 205 GPU as my Samsung SGS plus. I have had the same problems with my device and had to add some workaround for this as the Adreno drivers seem to be buggy.

Does the zbuffer test work correctly for you? For me it did not work as there was another bug in the Adreno driver. Some buffer coordinates were upside down.

Could you please test if manny is hidden by the pipe in his office?
If it does not work correctly then a part of manny's head is invisible (in the shape of an upside-down pipe) and manny is drawn in front of the pipe.
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

hennymcc wrote:Could you please test if manny is hidden by the pipe in his office?
If it does not work correctly then a part of manny's head is invisible (in the shape of an upside-down pipe) and manny is drawn in front of the pipe.
Manny seems to flicker in front of and behind the pipe. On the other hand, the z-buffer is fine with Eva sitting behind her desk and Manny standing behind the part of her desk with the hole punch on it.

EDIT:
Actually, the pipe is acting normal now I have left his office and reentered... although when the tube that contains Manny's letter is carried away before he reads it it appears on top of the tube after it has closed.
henkp

hardware keyboard

Post by henkp »

lighting seems better now! However, my HW-keyboard doesn't work anymore ingame. running around with the arrow-keys is no longer possible. Navigating through the ingame-menu is, however...

edit: no lighting in dead woods, scene before the dam. Inventory items are black, completely unlit!

phone is an SE Xperia Pro 2011, running CM10.1 overclocked to 1.6ghz
Jorge Leibur

Post by Jorge Leibur »

hennymcc wrote:
Tested this version.

Phone Specs:

Galaxy Note N7000
Android 4.1.2 Paranoidandroid CM 10 Ver 2.57-2 Utacka
Kernel: 3.0.15-CM-g07eacb Sun Feb 10 12:50:34 CET 2013

Grim Fandango English:

Runs at 59.9 most of the time.
Save/Load Works
Z-Buffer is almost perfect.
Lighting works but at some screens it's too dark. (eg. Inventory)

Also, I'm using and recommend sixaxis gamepad to emulate a keyboard, it's much easier to play. since touch controls are too unresponsive. Except that Arrow Keys aren't working for me. Even when using one of the ime keyboards (Hacker's Keyboard, it includes arrow keys) I can't move, so I'm stuck with touchscreen movement, all the other keys can be used for actions such as skip dialogs or pick up items.
grakic

Post by grakic »

1) Xperia Ray with Android 4.0.4
2) 20-28fps, scenes with more characters at 8-15fps, videocuts at 50-60fps
3) It is mostly smooth. When there is hiccup it is only for a short moment.
4) http://forums.residualvm.org/viewtopic.php?p=2307#2307 Lighting is wrong (Manny and other models are too dark) in other places too (The Petrified Forest, Rubacava Diner,...)

Image Image Image Image

On a sidenote, I do not know if this is an issue or not, but I have a save game at the first position that I can choose in game, but is not shown in the Load screen in ResidualVM. Others are there. Could it be some off by one error?

And as already asked before, is there a run command button? I can tap the squares for everything else but to run. What looks like a shift key next to the arrows is not working.

This is what I get with residualvm.apk. I had tried the apk from the first message too, but Manny is completely white at the begining.

Thank you, this is very good! I am playing the game for the first time :)
Last edited by Guest on Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.