Android porting thread.

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Botje

Post by Botje »

It is definitely possible, but I have no idea how SDL handles (multi)touch input.
Presumably SDL2 can handle it a bit better, but upgrading to SDL2 would require changing a lot of code in residualvm.
Ryam BaCo

Post by Ryam BaCo »

Sony Xperia V
No FPS are drawn (do I have to enable some sort of Debug Mode?), but it appears to run pretty smooth
The controls are still a little cumbersome, but nevertheless it is playable!

With the graphics I expected no big glitches (only left the very first room) except for the lighting of the 3D Models:
http://i40.tinypic.com/o353o.jpg
Sho

Post by Sho »

Botje wrote:It is definitely possible, but I have no idea how SDL handles (multi)touch input.
Presumably SDL2 can handle it a bit better, but upgrading to SDL2 would require changing a lot of code in residualvm.
I suppose it is just handled as a mouse with the only exception that on touching the screen you get the left click and the mouse movement. Also touching and holding, depending on driver settings is handled as right mouse click. At least this is the behaviour I observe e.g. in ScummVM. Multitouch is not supported imho.
Botje

Post by Botje »

Ryam Baco:
Thanks for your feedback! I did disable the FPS counter recently, but most everyone reported framerates are good enough.
Lighting was just a first try, I can imagine it failing under a good number of conditions. The code has a switch to disable lighting, so the first release of ResidualVM on Android will probably just have lighting disabled by default.

Sho:
Regardless of input, the entire "virtual touch controls" thing needs to be lifted out of Android anyway.
Somaen and me have a low-priority project trying to get ResidualVM to work on iOS devices.
Once touch screen controls are decoupled from Android, integrating them into the SDL backend should be (relatively) easy.
I don't think there are situations where you actually /need/ multitouch, so mouse emulation should be sufficient for touch controls on x86.
Sho

Post by Sho »

Thank you for these news!
iNdioNicarao

OUYA

Post by iNdioNicarao »

1) OUYA
2) None Displayed
3) Felt smooth.
4) there was a slight jitter/ghosting in the menu

I installed ResidualVM on my OUYA to see if it wouold run Grim Fandango and what a treat. I copied my GRIMDATA folder to a USB thumb drive plugged that into a 4-port hub also occupied by a wireless mouse dongle and usb keyboard.

I was able to launch ResidualVM without any issues :shock: it took about 8-10 seconds to get to the UI. from here i noticed that the analog stick (and maybe d-pad as well) controlled the ResidualVM's mouse cursor but only one button press at a time :( with the wireless mouse and click dragging i was able to control the onscreen cursor and add the game and launch it.

The game ran at what felt like full speed. There were some moments where there was ghosting on the menu that made it look jittery.

Ouya Controller:
Analog stick = directional movement
OUYA button = access menu

Keyboard
e,u,p,i : Examine, Use, Pickup, Inventory
Arrow keys : Movement

This is all i was able to confirm so far. I will do some more testing when i can spend a little more time.
Botje

Post by Botje »

Thanks for the report! I'm getting an OUYA of my own soonish, so I can take a look at the controls then :)
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

Botje wrote:I don't think there are situations where you actually /need/ multitouch, so mouse emulation should be sufficient for touch controls on x86.
While tricky (or atleast slow), I think atleast Grim Fandango can be played to completion on a computer with no mouse, using only a single finger at any given time. There are some timed puzzles that would be a bit tricky if you actually stick to using a single specific finger (jumping to inventory, selecting an item, and applying it might take a bit of time), but apart from holding shift to run, (which can be implemented as a toggle), I don't see any need for multi-touch.

Now, there is this one puzzle (involving beavers) where direct access to inventory would be helpfull, but IIRC the game pauses when you enter inventory anyhow, so it should be possible to solve it with just arrow-keys, i and enter.

As a side-note, the entire game is also completable with JUST: Enter, I and arrow-keys. (U,P,E are not necessary, but you might skip some comments from Manny if they aren't available).

Thus, the game is completable with what amounts to a classic 2-button digital joystick (although we don't support actual joysticks), and an interface following that would be rather clean.

This does NOT hold true for EMI though, as it has multiple actions available per enter-press, so it needs atleast one (preferably two) additional buttons, to be able to select which action enter performs.
trev186

Post by trev186 »

Any chance we can incorporate the speed improvements made in lubomyrs version

http://anddev.at.ua/load/residualvm_0_2 ... y/1-1-0-19

This version came out a few months back and is full speed and has no fewer glitches.
Botje

Post by Botje »

That port takes a completely different approach, it just uses an SDL wrapper and (immediate mode) openGL driver.

Which means:
- a lot of cpu power wasted on drawing.
- no support for task switching
- no support for (eventual) Dropbox or Google Play Games support unless we pollute the SDL backend.
ManlyStump

Post by ManlyStump »

Nice to hear you're getting an Ouya, Botje. Hopefully it'll come very soon (if not already) and you can program the controls. I tested it out this evening, but didn't think of using mouse and keyboard. It's awesome to think I could soon be playing GF on my Ouya, just wanted to let you know your work is very much appreciated!
Botje

Post by Botje »

Good news: my OUYA arrived!
Good news 2: The first part of my Android work (launcher + controls) has landed in git master!
Bad news: I have a deadline coming up soon so I haven't had a chance to actually test Residualvm on OUYA yet.
iampolo

Post by iampolo »

Haha this reminds me:
markogera

Post by markogera »

Just tried this on my note 2 and it is very smooth and graphics look nice. The controls are interesting and work... but not as usable as lubomyrs version I have been using before I found this.
drew

Post by drew »

Performance doesn't seem to be a problem on the TF300. I like the control scheme in general, more than on-screen buttons, though I think it would be better if it were totally gesture-based--such that right-swipe-up would be 'I', right-swipe-down would be 'U', and so forth.