Android porting thread.

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

markogera

Post by markogera »

I agree with Drew in that the controls are promising. I like the control for moving Grim around much better than a standard touch control stick, but I found no way to run. As far as action controls, I would probably just prefer on screen buttons but gestures may be nice as well.

Great work so far! It is almost more than playable.
alexfont

Post by alexfont »

If you guys need an Ouya tester let me know. Just receive mine last week.
nex86

Post by nex86 »

alexfont wrote:If you guys need an Ouya tester let me know. Just receive mine last week.
same here.
If you need testers for several Android devices,
I have the Ouya, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG Optimus G, Galaxy Note 10.1, Nexus 7, Archos Gamepad, Acer Iconia A700.

edit: I'm currently getting a forceclose when trying to run EMI.
Happens on most of my devices.
Botje

Post by Botje »

I finally found some time.

The biggest improvement is probably support for OUYA! Short overview of the controls:
  • D-pad or left stick to move
    O button: Enter
    A button: Pick up
    U button: Use
    Y button: Inventory
    Analog triggers: run
    Digital triggers: Pageup/Pagedown (really for EMI)
    Right stick: Pageup/Pagedown (for EMI)
Unfortunately I've had to bump up the minimum API level to ICS (4.0.3) to support OUYA.
In a later release I'll bump that back down, but I won't have time to work on this for a while now, so that's what you get :)
Furthermore I've synced with master, so you have the latest support for Grim and EMI (which has improved greatly)

No improvements on the renderer front, though.

Link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/123 ... 20Test.apk[/list]
Braxes

Post by Braxes »

Many thanks for this! May be a silly question but how do I access the menu? I use a virtual gamepad and mapped F1 to it but nothing comes up. The F1 button does work on other apps though.

Using Google Nexus 7
Botje

Post by Botje »

There is no code path that allows F1 through, unfortunately.
I'll probably bind it to menu sometime in a future release.
However, I don't foresee much time for ResidualVM in the future, let alone for the Android port :/

If somebody wants to help, I'll gladly guide you however.
DoctorChops

Post by DoctorChops »

Running: HP Touchpad on CM9, I'm having a problem with Manny being 'invisible' on the most recent update in the original post. He's still partially there but looks super-compressed..

hennymcc wrote:Is it better with this apk?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/chfzygz19rqix ... dualvm.apk
THANK YOU :).
I looked all over for some solution to my "invisible Manny" bug.. I figured it'd be pretty common problem/solution, but I couldn't find anything
And thanks grakic for linking to the comment..

I haven't quite figured out the overlay controls though.. can they be remapped?
ManlyStump

Post by ManlyStump »

Thanks for the update Botje, it works quite nicely on my Ouya now! Controls seem fine, if requiring a little getting used to. The startup page is still annoying to navigate because the touchpad and left trigger/dpad have to be used together to navigate the menus rather than one or the other, but that's very negligible.

Is the Android port as it stands available as source?
Botje

Post by Botje »

Once you have the game added, just hitting O should start the game, as "start game" is the default selection.

The source is available at my GitHub fork of ResidualVM (https://github.com/Botje/residualvm).

Any help is welcome :)

I gave build instructions earlier in this thread:
Botje wrote:Assuming you have checked out the source code and are currently in that directory:
$ mkdir build
$ cd build
$ export ANDROID_SDK=(path to the android SDK)
$ export ANDROID_NDK=(path to the android NDK)
$ ../configure --host=android-v7a --backend=android --enable-opengl-shaders --disable-engine=myst3
$ make

This will give you an .apk you can install on your device.
ManlyStump

Post by ManlyStump »

Ah ok thanks, good to know!

I'm a .Net web developer by trade, not sure if I'd be able to make any contribution to this, but I'd certainly like to give it a go! I dabbled in Java back in my uni days :P
tsaponi

noob controls question

Post by tsaponi »

Congrats on this project and good luck improving it. You guys are awesome.

I only signed up to ask this dumb question:

How does the F1 menu appear? Reading this thread makes me think that there is a super-obvious way to do that. What's more, there was one even before the overlayed controls appeared a couple of months ago.

But I've got nothing. I spent alot of time on this, reading manuals, searching the web. Nothing. I just can't find it.

Other than that, the game seems to run OK on my Transformer Infinity TF700t (with CROMI-X). Please, I just want to be able to save.
mitklaus

Post by mitklaus »

The program (Grim Fandango) runs very smooth on my Chuwi V88 (RK3188). There are only few rendering issues (f.e. in the beginning outside the Building, Manny is kompletely black).

But i have the same problem as tsaponi: I can't save!

I tried autosave, but it doesn't work.
How can i get to the Menue? (F1)

The only idea i had, was to use an external Keyboard, but my Bluetooth Keyboard doesn't habe the F1-12 keys.
Does it work with an USB-OTG-PC-Standard-Keyboard?

Please let this great project not die!!
Botje

Post by Botje »

As I stated the past few posts: I currently do not have time for the Android port.
I will make time in January 2014 if nobody else steps up to do this.
modestlaw

Post by modestlaw »

I fiddled with this as a curiosity and actually got a pretty great experience with the Nexus 7 2013

I ran with the default everything and though the game looked great on the high res screen, I had some bizarre graphical glitches where the lighting would not behave properly and 3D models sat above all the prerendered backgrounds (things that were suppose to be in front of them like desk and elevators wouldn't).I would also crash But I had a very good frame rate

Setting the game to software render fixed the glitches and weird lighting effect, but also lowered the frame rate, and brought the resolution down. This version was however, the playable version, I was even able to pair it with a GameStop Red Samurai Bluetooth controller and with External Keyboard Helper app, remap the controller to work with the game. Menu Keycode NOT F1 will bring up the game menu so you can save. Everything else works as expected.
mea3583

Post by mea3583 »

I also cannot work out how to bring up the menu when running RESIDUAL VM on Samsung Galaxy 10.1" tablet OR Samsung Galaxy Nexus phone. Both running Jelly Bean. Unlike 'SCUMM VM' the only soft keys on show during the game are 'Back' 'Home' and 'Open Applications', none of which of course bring up a menu option. On SCUMM VM there is also the 'three lined' menu button, as the 4th option, which works very well, but on RESIDUAL VM it is missing meaning there is absolutely no way at all to save a game or bring up the menu. This is a great shame, as I'm sure since it is available in SCUMM it could easily be added to RESIDUAL. If anybody could assist with this I would be REALLY grateful! Thanks! L:O)