Full screen working, but game is in a small window

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

TheEvilHammer

Full screen working, but game is in a small window

Post by TheEvilHammer »

The game runs perfectly, but it's surrounded by a thick black border. I've seen this problem mentioned elsewhere on the forum, but the solutions there aren't applicable to me, as my config file already has "fullscreen" set to "true" in both locations. I am running version 0.1.1 on Windows 7 64-bit. Any ideas?
Botje

Post by Botje »

This might be your monitor refusing to run at this resolution.
Can you download another game, run it at 640x480 fullscreen and see what happens?

Maybe something like Smoking Guns, Xonotic or Nexuiz, although you might have to poke at some .ini files to get that resolution.
TheEvilHammer

Post by TheEvilHammer »

Oh yeah, my screen resolution won't go that low. Even if I manually set the resolution to 800x600 (the lowest my video card will go), I still get a thick black border around everything, but now it's being created by the OS rather than by the game. I'm guessing there's no way to make the game run at a higher resolution?
Botje

Post by Botje »

Not currently, no. It doesn't help that the game is tied to 640x480 internally.
The easiest solution would be to render the game to an offscreen texture first, and then upscale that to the monitor resolution.
That would come at the cost of visual quality, however.

We use a solution like this on the Android port, but it is not yet implemented on the desktop backend because they are typically more flexible wrt resolutions.
TheEvilHammer

Post by TheEvilHammer »

OK, no worries, figured I'd ask in case there was something easy I could do. The game runs just fine, which is the most important thing. :-)
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

Botje wrote:Not currently, no. It doesn't help that the game is tied to 640x480 internally.
The easiest solution would be to render the game to an offscreen texture first, and then upscale that to the monitor resolution.
Well, there is some experimental code in there that takes a vaguely different approach:

Set the screen resolution to 1280x960 (For a clean 2x upscale), and keep track of the scale-factor, so that the coordinate system internally still sticks with 640x480. This does give you a (if i remember correctly) linear upscale (might be GL_NEAREST if I'm wrong though) of 2D-elements, and allows the 3D models to be rendered at a higher resolution. Which is a tad better than resizing the offscreen-texture, even though the textures are still the same, as there is less room for aliasing.

Currently this is experimental, and NOT implemented (nor will it ever be) for the software renderer, due to how slow this would be there.

Since it's experimental, and not thorougly tested, it's thus not user-available (and I can't even guarantee that it ever will be). I do however see the need for SOME such solution down the line, so that we can supply a resolution that the screen can be in semi-natively (allowing the rest of the problem to be solved by screen-scaling).

Down the line, I'd probably want to look into supplying a solution that allows us to deliver a native wide-screen-resolution (with the obvious black-bars on the sides), to allow modern screens to work in native resolutions.

The software renderer will be forever stuck in 640x480 territory though, and I can't give any promises about the GL-renderer. (I'd be interested in knowing about any issues with regards to the in-progress GLES-renderer though).