SF Bay Area residents: GF's two greatest influences, Friday!

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

mogul

SF Bay Area residents: GF's two greatest influences, Friday!

Post by mogul »

Fans of Grim Fandango: This is the film that had the most influence on the game, being shown at the theater that had the most influence on the game. If you haven't been to the Paramount, you are in for a treat... Art deco has never been so colorful! Go!
http://www.paramounttheatre.com/schedule.html#2_15
http://atenpo.smugmug.com/gallery/26118 ... &k=pP6FxBM
giucam

Post by giucam »

Aww, I'm afraid it's a little to far for me.
JohnnyWalker2001

Re: SF Bay Area residents: GF's two greatest influences, Fri

Post by JohnnyWalker2001 »

mogul wrote:Fans of Grim Fandango: This is the film that had the most influence on the game, being shown at the theater that had the most influence on the game. If you haven't been to the Paramount, you are in for a treat... Art deco has never been so colorful! Go!
http://www.paramounttheatre.com/schedule.html#2_15
http://atenpo.smugmug.com/gallery/26118 ... &k=pP6FxBM
Agh! I missed this. What was the film...??
JohnnyWalker2001

For anyone wondering, the film that had the most influence on GRIM FANDANGO was -- of course -- CASABLANCA.
mogul

Post by mogul »

JohnnyWalker2001 wrote:For anyone wondering, the film that had the most influence on GRIM FANDANGO was -- of course -- CASABLANCA.
Yes, Casablanca, but that was followed very closely by Glengarry Glen Ross, On the Waterfront, and Chinatown. (Somewhere I have the "recommended viewing list" prepared by the lead animator, Eric Ingerson, for people joining the team late. It had lots of Coen Brothers movies on it too, Ace in the Hole, and others... It was a great introductory tour of film noir.)
JohnnyWalker2001

mogul wrote:
JohnnyWalker2001 wrote:For anyone wondering, the film that had the most influence on GRIM FANDANGO was -- of course -- CASABLANCA.
Yes, Casablanca, but that was followed very closely by Glengarry Glen Ross, On the Waterfront, and Chinatown. (Somewhere I have the "recommended viewing list" prepared by the lead animator, Eric Ingerson, for people joining the team late. It had lots of Coen Brothers movies on it too, Ace in the Hole, and others... It was a great introductory tour of film noir.)
I need to see Glengarry Glen Ross and Ace in the Hole, but I got the references to On The Waterfront, not to mention the general one to Peter Lorre.

It'd be great to see that list should you ever stumble upon it again.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Wikipedia has a somewhat longer list of references
Several film noir movies were inspiration for much of the game's plot and characters. Tim Schafer stated that the true inspiration was drawn from films like Double Indemnity, in which a weak and undistinguished insurance salesman finds himself entangled in a murder plot. The design and early plot are fashioned after films such as Chinatown and Glengarry Glen Ross. Several scenes in Grim Fandango are directly inspired by the genre's films such as The Maltese Falcon, The Third Man, Key Largo, and most notably Casablanca: two characters in the game's second act are directly modeled after the roles played by Peter Lorre and Claude Rains in the film. The main villain, Hector LeMans, was designed to resemble Sydney Greenstreet's character of Signor Ferrari from Casablanca. His voice was also modeled after Greenstreet, complete with his trademark chuckle