Android porting thread.

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

klusark

Post by klusark »

We have a new way to try out the app via the Google Play store.

1. Join the Google+ group https://plus.google.com/communities/110 ... 3494872374. It's invite only right now so one of us will have to approve you. Google+ is the only way to do this unfortunately.
2. Once you are in the group you need to opt into the beta at https://play.google.com/apps/testing/or ... residualvm
3. The app will then be available at https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... residualvm

If it crashes, hit the report button as we will then get the bug report.

If you have the current debug app installed, you will have to remove it first as the key is different than the Google Play version.
ScratchFrog

Re: Android porting thread.

Post by ScratchFrog »

I have installed this on my Galaxy Note 10.1 and I got the Grim Fandango demo working right. This might be a bit of a noob question, but where can I get the proper Gamedata folders to run Grim Fandango? I downloaded a copy of the game, but each disc has multiple subfolders aside from the Gamedata folder, and each disc's gamedata is considered separately so I wouldn't be sure how to run or save the game. Can anyone help me out?
Botje

Post by Botje »

Thanks for your interest, but 'I downloaded a copy of the game' is a violation of rule 0.
ScratchFrog

Post by ScratchFrog »

Well, a friend of mine does own a copy, and we tried to use the data from his discs, but it's the same issue. It's a multi-disc game, so how do you create a unified Gamedata folder? Merging them doesn't work since there are redundant filenames. I only attempted rulebreaking behavior because I couldn't understand how to use an actual copy of the game to get it to work. :( If you're not allowed to respond to me anymore I apologize for saying as much as I did, but this multiple disc thing is still confusing.
Botje

Post by Botje »

Fair enough.
You can merge the two folders, as the LAB files with the same name have the same contents.
See http://wiki.residualvm.org/index.php/Datafiles .
Don't forget to add the patch instead of applying it!
ScratchFrog

Post by ScratchFrog »

I tried what you suggested to no avail. Despite all the right files being in the grimdata folder no game is found when I attempt. I extracted everything from the images and the patch is in the grimdata folder. Not sure what's up :/

Botje

Post by Botje »

ResidualVM specifically looks at VOX0001.LAB.
Can you get the desktop version to recognize it?
Note that for some versions of the game you cannot simply copy the .LAB files off the CDs.
ScratchFrog

Post by ScratchFrog »

Hey I got it to work on pc, so then I compared the folders and realized I'd made a folder merging error. Its working seamlessly now on my Galaxy Note 10.1 with great frame rate and clarity! Now I just need to find a good controller overlay or a way to use a paired sixaxis ps3 controller :0
Jorge Leibur

Re:

Post by Jorge Leibur »

klusark wrote:We have a new way to try out the app via the Google Play store.

1. Join the Google+ group https://plus.google.com/communities/110 ... 3494872374. It's invite only right now so one of us will have to approve you. Google+ is the only way to do this unfortunately.
2. Once you are in the group you need to opt into the beta at https://play.google.com/apps/testing/or ... residualvm
3. The app will then be available at https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... residualvm

If it crashes, hit the report button as we will then get the bug report.

If you have the current debug app installed, you will have to remove it first as the key is different than the Google Play version.
Can somebody invite me, please?
Botje

Post by Botje »

Click the link to apply, then we can accept you.
Jorge Leibur

Post by Jorge Leibur »

Botje wrote:Click the link to apply, then we can accept you.
I've just did, "esjorjo" is my user, thanks, Botje. :)
tobiaspfaff

Post by tobiaspfaff »

I made a first attempt to combine my mouse mod with the Android version, based off all the cool work here and hennymcc's port (https://github.com/tobigun/residualvm/tree/mouse).

Instructions:
1. Enable unsafe sources on your Android device
2. Copy the game files (.LABs, patch,...) to a folder named "grim" on the device's SD card (*)
3. Download https://www.dropbox.com/s/qb3h1of4kf823 ... ch-0.6.apk, install, run

Controls:
- fast tap: Walk to / Use
- double tap: Run to / Use
- long tap: Look at
- you can also keep the finger on the screen to look for hotspots (red circle) and exits(blue circle)
Once you lift the finger, Manny will walk to this destination. If you end up next to a hotspot, the hotspot
will appear marked in red.
You can also use this mode to swipe Manny around the screen (hard to explain, just try it)
- swipe straight down from the top of the screen to open inventory, swipe up from bottom to close it.
- menu, dialog, etc. don't work yet

It is by no means a playable version, but a prototype to test out various touch control schemes.
If you have an idea on how improve stuff, let me know! For example, I find the hotspots (especially the exit hotspots) are very hard to hit. then again, I don't have a tablet, and only tested on my phone so far.

-------------------
*: This will automatically create a game target for grim on first launch. If the folder name is different, you have to use the interface to manually create one.

Sources at:
https://github.com/tobiaspfaff/grim_mouse/tree/mouse
km3k

Post by km3k »

tobiaspfaff wrote:I made a first attempt to combine my mouse mod with the Android version, based off all the cool work here and hennymcc's port...
I tried your apk and it works well. I really like the feel of the touch interface. I played it on my Samsung Galaxy S3. A few comments though:

- I really like the idea of the red circle and blue circle, but the circles are very small. It might work better if they were larger, possibly 50-100% larger.
- The ResidualVM menu didn't work, so I couldn't set my folder. The buttons appeared as if they were activated, but no window popped up for setting up the game. Instead, I renamed my folder to grim and it worked.
- The hotspots seemed ok to me, but my GS3 has a fairly large screen for a phone and I only walked around the office so far, so I'm sure there's smaller hotspots elsewhere in the game.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this develops!
ultraneonoirantihero

Post by ultraneonoirantihero »

I've changed my phone from Samsung Galaxy mini 2 S6500 [Android 2.3] to Sony Xperia SP C5303 [Android 4.1]. Last year I've tried the Android app on my Samsung phone and it worked great, now I wanted to try it again on my new phone.

Short story: it works :)

- - - -

Long story:

So the phone is Sony Xperia SP C5303 with stock Android 4.1. At first I downloaded the .apk from page #1 of this thread. Installed it, started the game, Residual began verifying game files and around 85% it crashed. I tried changing the settings: fullscreen, userpatch, rendering mode... nothing worked, it still crashed every time on game files verification.

Then I spotted klusark's post on page #11 that you can also install ResidualVM by applying to ResidualVM's beta test group on GooglePlay. I did so, installed the app and it worked! I then drag'n'dropped datausr.lab to game folder and it worked too!

I don't understand why the manually downloaded app from page #1 didn't work, but the g.play beta app worked? Are those two different versions? I think I saw that build date was the same... it even says above the apk link "You can find an up-to-date APK at...".

Settings variation testing:
  • 1. Software rendering OFF + Fullscreen ON + UserPatch ON
    Models have no lighting effect (shadows & gradients) just plane models. When you click on [home] button during gameplay and try return to ResidualVM it will just show black screen. You need to go to: apps / residual / stop process to restart ResidualVM. Manny responds to the controls normally. FPS is good.

2. Software rendering OFF + Fullscreen OFF + UserPatch ON
    Models have no lighting effect. Returning to the app after exiting during gameplay results in black screen. Manny responds to the controls normally. FPS is good.

3. Software rendering ON + Fullscreen ON + UserPatch ON
    Models HAVE lighting effect. Many responds to the controls normally. FPS is really low, like 5. After pressing the [home] button you can return to the game normally (no black screen, everything is OK).

4. Software rendering ON + Fullscreen ON + UserPatch OFF
    Disabling userPatch increases FPS to like 10-15 fps. Obviously due to lower poly count on original models... this is a dual core CPU, I've expected it would handler better software rendering. Models have lighting effect.

5. Software rendering ON + Fullscreen OFF + UserPatch ON
    Many doesn't respond to controls, he just stands in one place and smokes his cigar. FPS is very low. When you click on [home] button and return to ResidualVM it continues the game where you left it. Models have lighting effect.

6. Software rendering ON + Fullscreen OFF + UserPatch OFF
    Same as above: controls do not respond, but the game works fine. Setting the Fullscreen to OFF somehow disables the controls... models have lighting effect.

CONCLUSION - On my Sony Xperia SP C5303 [Android 4.1]:
  • Controls dont work with the following combination:
  • Software rendering ON + Fullscreen OFF. You have to "stop process" to reboot the Residual.

Software rendering ON
  • Drops down the FPS drastically.
  • Enables lighting effects.
  • You can exit the app and return normally.

Software rendering OFF
  • FPS is smooth.
  • Models have no lighting effets.
  • The game has a black screen when you exit the app and return. You have to kill the process.

Fullscreen ON
  • Leave it ON

Download from Google Play (as invited beta tester)
  • The current ResidualVM Beta version from Google Play (15. July 2014) is 0.2.0git-d4f6d70 and it WORKS.
  • The version downloaded form the link at page #1 that DOESN'T WORK is just 0.2.0git.

RECOMMENDED SETTINGS
  • If you have a strong CPU I would recommend: Software rendering ON + Fullscreen ON + Userpatch ON. It has lighting effects, you can return to the game as usual after exiting with [home] button and you have new remastered models.

If you have a weak CPU then it is: Software rendering OFF + Fullscreen ON + Userpatch ON. The game will run smoother, but you wont have lighting effects or high-poly models from userPatch... and do not press the [home] button!!!

Download the app in the following order: Since the last time I tried this app, the aspect ratio is fixed, so Manny is no longer stretched :D Thanks again for a great app!

P.S. I edited and expanded the original post with new testing variations... it also took me 10 times to fix most of my grammar errors.
Last edited by carrrramba on Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:05 pm, edited 14 times in total.
davoker

Post by davoker »

Hello, which is the latest version of the Grim test for android there? Might you get link? (It's the first post?)