GF dialogue transcript files

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

jorgensen

GF dialogue transcript files

Post by jorgensen »

When playing Grim Fandango with ResidualVM, is there any way to read the grimdialog.htm files generated with saved games?

They only seem to contain gibberish. Is this a currently unsupported feature?
giucam

Post by giucam »

No, they should work. What happens if you try to look at them with the in-game menu option?
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

My bet is that they are simply gzipped, I don't have the code in front of me, but I know the savegames themselves are gzipped, so that list might also be.

Try to rename it to filename.gz, then gunzip it (various tools for this exists, depending on OS).
jorgensen

Post by jorgensen »

giucam wrote:No, they should work. What happens if you try to look at them with the in-game menu option?
You mean while I'm playing the game? It works fine then. If I load a previously saved game, however, the in-game transcript is empty. I don't know if that's how it normally is, I haven't played GF in over a decade.
somaen wrote:My bet is that they are simply gzipped, I don't have the code in front of me, but I know the savegames themselves are gzipped, so that list might also be.

Try to rename it to filename.gz, then gunzip it (various tools for this exists, depending on OS).
Just tried it and it worked. Thanks.

Thanks to all for your help and courtesy.
daviz444

Re: GF dialogue transcript files

Post by daviz444 »

I am confused with the game options when I tried to play Grim Fandango with ResidualVM and it comes up with a responsive window when I choose one option. I think there is some compatibility issue or the feature is unsupported. What may be the reason for this?

Davis444
Testing Omni Tech Support
Botje

Re: GF dialogue transcript files

Post by Botje »

Please start a new thread with a more detailed explanation of what you expected and what you got, add screenshots if necessary.