iPad port?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Angelus3K

iPad port?

Post by Angelus3K »

Is there an unofficial iPad port of ResidualVM? Would love to play Grim on my iPad Air.
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

There exists some wip-code for that, but I haven't looked any further into it, mainly since I wanted to wait untill the Android port works completely, but also for lack of time and interest.
Angelus3K

Post by Angelus3K »

Ok, thank you for the reply.
dimi.t.d

Re: iPad port?

Post by dimi.t.d »

I'm currently working on an iOS port (for Grim Fandango only). The fork can be found here:
https://github.com/idimiter/residualvm
It needs SDL2 and SDL2_mixer frameworks for iOS.

I've merged aquadran SDL2 branch and tobiaspfaff touch implementation. It still needs some gesture handling for the inventory and the menu dialogs to work.

At first I wanted to implement the touch controls for Android, but it turned out they are too much "tied" to the Android platform. If someone knows how can they be separated from the Android specific code that would be awesome.
Botje

Post by Botje »

I have a PR to decouple touch from the android backend, but it has bitrotted somewhat.
Maybe it will give you some inspiration.. https://github.com/residualvm/residualvm/pull/862
dimi.t.d

Post by dimi.t.d »

Nice, thanks for that. Its looks much better now. I'll definitely use this for the controller logic.

I'm also considering implementing controls like Telltale games (Walking dead, Back to the future, The wolf among us) that is: tap and drag to emulate keyboard arrows. And swipe gestures for the menu and inventory. This will still needs the mouse patch for the menus to work tough.

And by the way, great job with the project guys! Its great to see those awesome games running on modern devices! GF sure looks awesome on iPad.

The sad thing is that i doubt this can go trough Apple submission, so eventually will be only for jailbroken devices or certificated developers.
Botje

Post by Botje »

Any improvements you can make to the touch controls are more than welcome.