Running ResidualVM on a Raspberry Pi

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Flamekebab

Post by Flamekebab »

After trying a few other things and talking to Botje on IRC it looks like we've hit a bit of a wall.

To summarise apparently in order to work OpenGL ES needs to be used on the SDL backend. Surfaces SDL needs to be rewritten to use OpenGL ES calls instead of OpenGL.

I'm not sure what all that means but I know it's way above my abilities (as should be abundantly clear just from this topic!).

So until that happens it looks like we're not going to have any sort of good performance on the RPi.
Botje

Post by Botje »

For what it's worth, I borrowed a raspberry pi some time ago and hacked in code to create a 3d-accelerated window.
I could show the first few frames, but then the game stopped working, and I couldn't figure out why. Maybe something to do with audio?

The code can be fetched from my raspberry branch, https://github.com/botje/residualvm/tree/raspberry

It does not compile cleanly, as you need to add some very specific include paths (at least /opt/vc/include, and another one buried in that directory) and library paths (/opt/vc/lib).
You also need to link with that raspberry-pi specific display manager thing.
Flamekebab

Post by Flamekebab »

Thanks for having a go. Where do we go from here?
Botje

Post by Botje »

Somebody with a raspberry pi should figure out where the program gets stuck, either by stepping through with a debugger until it breaks or attaching afterwards and inspecting the program state.
Flamekebab

Post by Flamekebab »

Botje wrote:Somebody with a raspberry pi should figure out where the program gets stuck, either by stepping through with a debugger until it breaks or attaching afterwards and inspecting the program state.
Would it help to get you an RPi?
Botje

Post by Botje »

The RPi is not the problem, lack of time is.

The time I can dedicate to residualvm is currently an hour every two or three weeks, not enough to sit down and debug the issue.
As noted in another thread, I'll have more serious time for residualvm in the beginning of 2014, until then i'm just fixing smallish issues whenever I find time and motivation to work on it.
Flamekebab

Post by Flamekebab »

Botje wrote:The RPi is not the problem, lack of time is.
Fair enough. I don't have the skill to do what's required but I figured it might help you to do something I can't.
Botje wrote:As noted in another thread, I'll have more serious time for residualvm in the beginning of 2014, until then i'm just fixing smallish issues whenever I find time and motivation to work on it.
No real hurry, given the age of the games. Thank you for all the time and energy you put into ResidualVM all the same :)
ssokolow

Re: Running ResidualVM on a Raspberry Pi

Post by ssokolow »

ResidualVM is available for the OpenPandora, so running on an ordinary Linux with only GLES support is possible.

I'm not sure where lemondragon offers his sources and build tooling, but he's probably just using lunixbochs's glshim [1] (OpenGL 1.x reimplemented on top of GLES. RPi compilation instructions included.) to fill in the missing APIs.

(The OpenPandora community has some really [2] impressive [3] people in it and the wiki has some decent porting and ARM+Linux coding guides too.)

I've never done anything GLES-related, so I can't be certain, but this also looks potentially relevant.