Android porting thread.

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Botje

Re: Android porting thread.

Post by Botje »

well, if someone were to revive https://github.com/residualvm/residualvm/pull/862 , adding a new control scheme for myst3 would be relatively easy.
pelo88

Post by pelo88 »

I'm having trouble on my Note 3 running Lollipop trying to play Monkey Island. I'm getting a crash before the first cutscene finishes, it happens right after the 3 LeChucks are introduced and Guybrush continues talking about Governor Marley. It's not an exact spot each time, it seems to vary a bit but it never gets past it and I have no idea how to skip it. I copied the files from my discs and copied the update exe to the Textures folder and renamed the 2 files what needed renaming lol. I filed a bug report once or twice I believe. The app I'm using I got through the steps in the OP so it's all up to date I believe..
Is there any way I can do the android equivalent of pressing escape to skip a cutscene (and a period to interrupt dialog)?
Is there a way to get to the debug console? I'm coming into this late so forgive me if this stuff has been answered before, I have searched quite a bit for this info here to no avail. I saw a mention of an old debug app as well which had to be removed for the latest method of delivery of the main app (the beta through Google) but didn't see a mention of a way to get to the debug console without it.
Would this be indicative of a corrupt file perhaps? I thought the check the program does on initial startup (which passed after I figured out how to rename the files and that I had to copy stuff even from the Installer folder off the CD, I removed the game and added it again to force a recheck to ensure it passes) but maybe it only checks for presence of the filenames.
Also I noticed I get no music at the title screen and credits. The menu has sound effects tho.
Maybe there's a way we can do an easy md5 on these files direct from the cd vs copied from an updated installation.
Should I just install it? I have a Windows 7 computer that should let me install it tho I haven't tried (wanted to play it on my phone instead). Are the copied files from the install more recommended than pulling them off the cd?
Botje

Post by Botje »

Thank you for testing!

You can press the back button to skip the cutscenes, I think.
There is currently no provision of accessing the console, except when a fatal error occurs.

I am honestly not sure which version is currently on the play store, but it is probably a very old version.
I think I will push a new version once the reworked controls are in.

Until then, you can play on your computer.
The installer just copies the files over and the MD5 check does not find any errors the files should be intact, so I do not think it's a data corruption issue.
pelo88

Post by pelo88 »

Botje wrote:Thank you for testing!

You can press the back button to skip the cutscenes, I think.
There is currently no provision of accessing the console, except when a fatal error occurs.

I am honestly not sure which version is currently on the play store, but it is probably a very old version.
I think I will push a new version once the reworked controls are in.

Until then, you can play on your computer.
The installer just copies the files over and the MD5 check does not find any errors the files should be intact, so I do not think it's a data corruption issue.
I followed the instructions in the OP to get the Google+ invite for access to the beta version of the apk.. Was that not the way to get the latest apk? Should I attempt to setup a build environment on my phone and compile it directly? And YES THE BACK BUTTON WORKS! I'm able to begin playing now. I'll report back if I can finish the game. Really keen on being able to play every MI on my phone =) Wish there was a good IOS build of this for my iPad mini tho. I got the special versions of MI1 and 2 of course as well as ScummVM working perfect for 3 (and Tales was officially released for IOS) so all I'm missing is 4..
I guess I should explain why I need Monkey Island playable on every device I own and why I purchased each game at least twice...
...look behind you, a 3 headed monkey!
Botje

Post by Botje »

I followed the instructions in the OP to get the Google+ invite for access to the beta version of the apk.. Was that not the way to get the latest apk?
We have to manually promote the automatic builds to the beta channel, which pushes the update to everyone.
So we'd rather not do that for every small commit that gets pushed to ResidualVM.
Wish there was a good IOS build of this for my iPad mini tho.
There is an iphone backend just waiting for somebody to start hacking on it ;)
pelo88

Post by pelo88 »

Botje wrote:
I followed the instructions in the OP to get the Google+ invite for access to the beta version of the apk.. Was that not the way to get the latest apk?
We have to manually promote the automatic builds to the beta channel, which pushes the update to everyone.
So we'd rather not do that for every small commit that gets pushed to ResidualVM.
Wish there was a good IOS build of this for my iPad mini tho.
There is an iphone backend just waiting for somebody to start hacking on it ;)
I'd love to help! Should I be setting up a build environment on my PC for compiling or should I use the terminal app on my iPad and a few choice Cydia apps to compile right on the thing?! I've never built an app before but have compiled from source many a time but using the device in question. Slackware is my favorite distro. I have a jailbroken iPad mini 2 running 8.4 if that matters..
Botje

Post by Botje »

I don't really have much experience hacking on iOS apps.
You could start from @somaen's iphone branch (https://github.com/somaen/residual/tree/iPhone-clean) and try to get it to compile.
But for serious hacking i'm afraid you'll need Xcode or something.
schmatt

Post by schmatt »

Escape from Monkey Island on android? I have been trying to get this to play but i can't. I have all the files, have renamed the maps, used voiceall from disc 1, ect...

I have read on the forums that in order to play EMI you have to use a daily build since it is not specifically supported. I do not see an android daily build on the downloads page. Is it possible to play EMI on Android? If so can someone give me some direction to get residualvm to find the game
Botje

Post by Botje »

As found in the first post in this topic:
1. Join the Google+ group https://plus.google.com/communities/110 ... 3494872374. It's invite only right now so one of us will have to approve you. Google+ is the only way to do this unfortunately.
2. Once you are in the group you need to opt into the beta at https://play.google.com/apps/testing/or ... residualvm
3. The app will then be available at https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... residualvm
schmatt

Post by schmatt »

I've done that already, I am part of the beta testing on the app and have been invited to download it on the play store.

As i said earlier, many people on the forum have stated that you need a daily build to play EMI since it is not fully supported. I am assuming that the stuff in the daily builds are not incorporated into the beta for android since they are not necessarily stable. Or am i mistaken?

I have encountered the same problem as everyone else with EMI. I have all the files, i have renamed them as directed, and i believe i have the required file structure. Residual still tells me that it could not detect any game. I know residual is working on my phone because i can play Grim Fandango without any problems.

So my question is do you need a daily build on android in order to play EMI just like you do on PC or Mac? If so where can i find it for android? If not do you have any direction for me as to why Residual can not detect the game?
Botje

Post by Botje »

Okay, I misread your post, sorry.

To summarize the current state of the Android port:
- The current version in beta testing is 0.2.1, which indeed does not support EMI yet.
- Every build we make is automatically uploaded to Google Play, in alpha testing. We need to manually promote alpha builds to beta.
- The version in alpha is a daily build, which does include EMI, but pushing this version will definitely break save game compatibility.
- Finally, I have a nearly-complete rewrite of the control scheme which I would like to include before pushing another update.
schmatt

Post by schmatt »

Ok sounds good, thanks for the info! I'll just keep my eyes open for an update
darkestafrica

Post by darkestafrica »

Hey guys. Love this port! Thank you for doing it. I'm playing grim fandango for the first time.

Hope you can help. I'm playing grim fandango on an acer a700 with tegra3 graphics chip and I'm having problems with the textures in hardware acceleration mode. The characters are just black outlines with no textures on them. When the settings are not hardware acceleration the textures show up fine. Any ideas?
Botje

Post by Botje »

That could have any number of reasons. If you're willing and able, could you use the Nvidia graphics debugger and verify whether the textures show up correctly in texture memory? You could also try hacking the shaders to remove the lighting parts: Add the line

Code: Select all

Color = color;
right before the closing '}' in the grim_actor.fragment shader.
Manu270891

Post by Manu270891 »

Is there any way of making the music work for Monkey Island 4? Everything else works perfectly, congratulations!