Myst III full screen mouse problem

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Altranis7321

Myst III full screen mouse problem

Post by Altranis7321 »

Hiya all,

I just recently installed Myst III (DVD version that comes packaged with games 1-5) successfully with ResidualVM. It boots up no problem in both full screen and non-full screen modes. However, when in full screen my mouse doesn't work properly. That is, it moves around so fast to an uncontrollable degree making it impossible for me to even select any options on the main menu screen of the game when it boots.

I have tried lowering the DPI and windows mouse pointer speed to basically "zero", however it doesn't fix the problem (my mouse is a Roccat Nyth). So, I can only assume this is a resolution bug. It's a shame because the game seems to be running absolutely fine, and like I said, in the non-full screen mode the mouse pointer and the game runs absolutely fine, it's just too small to be playable.

The only other info I can give is my monitor is 2560 x 1440 native res. I don't think this issue is impacted by any other hardware, however if you want more info on that, I can provide it. I was surprised it installed and booted so well with ResidualVM for such an old game - the devs from ResidualVM did an amazing job! :D

Appreciate anyone who can help!
bgK
ScummVM Developer

Re: Myst III full screen mouse problem

Post by bgK »

Hi,

Which version of ResidualVM are you using? If you are using the release version, can you please test with a development build. There have been fixes related to game speed recently.
Altranis7321

Post by Altranis7321 »

Hi there,

Thanks for getting back! I can confirm the version I used was the release build as you guessed. I just downloaded the latest dev build (0.3.0gitd4a50ba - July 27th 2016) and can unfortunately confirm the problem still persists. :(

I can also add an observation that upon testing a second time I accidentally had a smaller window from my Battle.net client open over the Myst III menu. I could see my mouse cursor consistently within the Battle.net window frame (moving normally) and this caused the Myst III in-game mouse pointer to become very choppy and slow, but not erratic and randomly jumpy.
bgK
ScummVM Developer

Post by bgK »

Hmm, can you please try with this custom build :
http://filenurse.com/download/1694766d0 ... c06d5.html

It uses SDL2 instead of SDL1.
Altranis7321

Post by Altranis7321 »

That worked perfectly! :) I can confirm the mouse pointer works on full-screen with no jittering or any problems. Looks fantastic too for an old game! :wink:

Thank you so much for your help, really appreciate it!
bgK
ScummVM Developer

Post by bgK »

Excellent!

Do you have DPI scaling enabled?
ac2334

Post by ac2334 »

Hi, I am having the exact same issue - the game looks great, but my mouse is all over the place.. any chance that you could repost the link?

Thank you!
bgK
ScummVM Developer

Post by bgK »

ac2334

Post by ac2334 »

Meant to say thank you for this sooner...it worked! Thank you again
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Any idea when we can expect the next official release?
bgK
ScummVM Developer

Post by bgK »

We haven't discussed about shipping with SDL2 yet. There are a few bugs that need to be fixed before a release. I'd like to finish the widescreen mod for Myst III as well.

So "Not soon", probably.
ac2334

Post by ac2334 »

Widescreen mod would be really cool!
teddune

Post by teddune »

Hi,

Discovered ResidualVM while trying to get Myst3 to run on my Windows 10 system. I've resolved several issues and the game now runs, except I have the jumping mouse problem mentioned in this topic. I don't see any indication that the fix that was mentioned on the thread has been released generally. I'm using version 0.2.1 which was the last stable one listed.

The link that was posted (last year) for the fixed version has gone away. Can you either tell me which version of ResidualVM I should use that fixes this issue or provide (another) link to the patched version.

Thanks.

PS: I should mention, my laptop uses a touchpad, but I've had no problems using it for other games, so I expect the fix that was mentioned should resolve the issue.
bgK
ScummVM Developer

Post by bgK »

The 0.2.1 stable build is long obsolete and should not be used anymore. Please use a daily build: http://www.residualvm.org/downloads/#daily