ResidualVM for PS3 ?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

MarkAmiga500

ResidualVM for PS3 ?

Post by MarkAmiga500 »

Hi

Ive heard that its possible to run ResidualVM if we can port the tinygl renderer over to PS3 API

I got this beta/test build from bgk :
"This is a test build of ResidualVM for the PS3 I did a few years ago: https://ufile.io/de0v9vbq. It should run Grim Fandango using the software renderer. You'll see it does not run at full speed. Also the mouse cursor is not visible in the GUI, so you need to add the game in the configuration file, and start it using a keyboard. I suppose one way would be to write a renderer for the game using the PS3 graphics API."

my question is how we do this ?
someone is ready to help me ?
Botje

Re: ResidualVM for PS3 ?

Post by Botje »

I'm afraid you will not have the time to completely rewrite TinyGL from a single-threaded shared-memory system a multi-threaded share-nothing system that properly distributes work to the PS3's SPU processors instead of doing everything on the PPU.

Your best bet is to find a library that provides hardware-accelerated OpenGL 3.x or OpenGL ES 2.0 on the PS3 and compile ResidualVM against that. I found RSXGL on my first Google query, but that has not seen any active development since 2014.
MarkAmiga500

Post by MarkAmiga500 »

Botje wrote:I'm afraid you will not have the time to completely rewrite TinyGL from a single-threaded shared-memory system a multi-threaded share-nothing system that properly distributes work to the PS3's SPU processors instead of doing everything on the PPU.

Your best bet is to find a library that provides hardware-accelerated OpenGL 3.x or OpenGL ES 2.0 on the PS3 and compile ResidualVM against that. I found RSXGL on my first Google query, but that has not seen any active development since 2014.
if starting working on that library you found (not developed since 2014) how long you estimate it could take to achieve a final ResidualVM compile ??
Botje

Post by Botje »

That is hard to say. ResidualVM has both a "classic" and a "shaders" renderer, which both require different features from an implementation. From the look of that repository's STATUS page it seems like the classic renderers should be easiest to get up and running, but that is just a guess.
MarkAmiga500

Post by MarkAmiga500 »

Botje , By Any Chance , Did you own a PS3 CFW ?
Botje

Post by Botje »

I never owned a PS3.
MarkAmiga500

Post by MarkAmiga500 »

Botje wrote:I never owned a PS3.
I know Thousands of PS3 owner who would be excited to play Grim Fandango on PS3 ResidualVM

...man we need this !!

its about time now in 2020 :)