Android port looking for new developers

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Botje

Android port looking for new developers

Post by Botje »

With Google+ going away tomorrow, I made the Android app open for public testing.
For those of you who were already subscribed to the test: there is nothing new, it's the same old build.

I have tried over the past year to find time to work on the Android port, but that has sadly not materialized. Therefore, I am looking for someone to take it over.

Further development of the Android port will need the following:
  • An overhaul of the target API level, as required by Google.
    I have a working branch, but I ran out of time for the final bit (starting the file picker with the external storage directory)
  • A better input scheme. Nobody likes the current input mechanism, and moreover it does not work for TLJ or Myst3 which use mouse input instead of tank controls. I also have a much older work-in-progress branch for that, but if I had to do it again I would probably look at stealing libretro's overlay.
  • Some collaboration with klusark to revamp his Jenkins build jobs to the newer android NDK/SDK, or to upload the signing keys to Google Play such that code can be promoted to the app store directly.
If anyone is willing to actively develop the Android port, you can start from these branches and/or contact me on IRC (or here) for hints to get started. ScummVM, our sister project, also has a summer of code project about revamping _their_ Android port, so you would be helping two projects at once.
Nagual

Re: Android port looking for new developers

Post by Nagual »

I hope somebody will help, and continue !

Actually is possible to play TLJ on android? I tried with the app but i think is a old version, there is one newer to test it ? where can download it?

Thanks a lot for the work , i apreciatted a lot

Best wishes !