Can't change font in The Longest Journey HD mod

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

RetroGamer2020

Can't change font in The Longest Journey HD mod

Post by RetroGamer2020 »

I installed this HD mod (and followed its instructions to a tee) over the Steam version of the The Longest Journey. And the game worked fine, and looked nice in 2160p (screenshot). But I wasn't keen on the way the subtitle font looked. This font, called Florentine, wasn't in the original game, and seemed to be from the HD mod maker. The original font was called Slurry (screenshot of the original 4-CD version of TLJ, which surprisingly still runs on my Win10 PC otherwise I couldn't capture this screenshot). I checked the game's Fonts folder, and the Slurry font file was there. So I went into the game's GUI.INI file and removed all references to "Florentine" and replaced them with "Slurry". To my surprise, the game still showed the Florentine font. I then ran the vanilla version of the game, and was able to use GUI.INI to change fonts. So for some reason, this HD mod was preventing me to do the same. Is the font "hard-coded" into the HD mod in some way? Before I ask the mod maker, I'm asking this forum in case I did something wrong in ResidualVM. I did find a workaround to this problem. I made a copy of the Slurry font file and renamed it to the same name of the Florentine font file. That fooled the HD mod into displaying the Slurry font (screenshot). But of course, I would prefer a more elegant solution. So did I do something wrong? Was ResidualVM the cause? Was the mod the cause?

P.S. I tried both a daily build of ResidualVM (Aug-24-2020), and an old version of ResidualVM included in the HD mod. Both ran fine, as far as I could see. Both had the font issue mentioned above. I also installed the HD mod and ResidualVM over both the Steam and GOG versions, and got the same issue in both. The Steam version is version 1.61 of the game, while the GOG version is 1.42. So that seemed to eliminate the game itself being the cause.
Simplex

Re: Can't change font in The Longest Journey HD mod

Post by Simplex »

I am glad you noticed it! I also don't like the Florentine font, it's hard to read - Slurry is much better so I am glad there is a solution to get it displayed. Perhaps the author of the mod thought that Florentine is better and somehow hardcoded it in the mod.