Several games crashing when pressing OK in the options menu

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

epmode

Several games crashing when pressing OK in the options menu

Post by epmode »

I'm running ScummVM version 2.5.1 in Windows 10 Pro 21H2. Tested with the installer version as well as the zip version.

Steps to replicate:
  • Delete %appdata%\scummvm\scummvm.ini to reset ScummVM to default settings (to ensure the issue isn't caused by a bad setting somewhere)
  • Launch ScummVM
  • Add a game, say The Secret of Monkey Island CD version, don't change any options when configuring it.
  • Launch the game.
  • Press Escape to skip the intro cutscene.
  • Press F5 to open the menu.
  • Choose Options.
  • Press OK.
ScummVM closes a second later without a pop-up error.

If I have the console open, I see this message right before the application closes:

Assertion failed: !domName.empty(), file common/config-manager.cpp, line 301

This doesn't happen in every game. For example, The Curse of Monkey Island works fine, but the GOG version of Loom errors out.

The same game files worked properly the last time I played them in ScummVM, but that was a long time ago, and it was probably on a different computer.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Several games crashing when pressing OK in the options menu

Post by Praetorian »

I can reproduce this consistently with Steam's LOOM and ScummVM 2.5.1 on Windows 10.

However, the issue does not occur with the latest development build 2.6.0git, as far as I've tested anyway. So, maybe this got fixed at some point?
epmode

Re: Several games crashing when pressing OK in the options menu

Post by epmode »

I just tested in the build from April 4th and Loom GOG works fine. Thanks very much!