KQ2 Question I Don't Know if Anyone Can Answer (but It Would be Nice if Someone Could)

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ArthurWalden

KQ2 Question I Don't Know if Anyone Can Answer (but It Would be Nice if Someone Could)

Post by ArthurWalden »

When playing King's Quest 2, something always bugs me (mildly). According to both Sierra's hint book and the friend who introduced me to the game long ago, Dracula is supposed to appear and attack you at some point(s) in his castle (perhaps randomly), and your only protection is to wear the silver cross. However, I have never seen him anywhere but his coffin. This is as true when I play the game on ScummVM now as when I played it all the way back in high school. I don't know if this can be considered a bug, but, if so, is it possible ScummVM could fix it? Of course, Sierra may have chosen to do it this way deliberately in their final version. I already opened a ticket on this about a month ago, but no one has responded so far. Does anyone have any insight on this?
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: KQ2 Question I Don't Know if Anyone Can Answer (but It Would be Nice if Someone Could)

Post by Praetorian »

ArthurWalden wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:00 pm Does anyone have any insight on this?
I can't remember what the original did. I suppose one could play the game with DosBox these days and check the behavior there.

What I can tell is that, at least in the current version of ScummVM, you have to first visit Dracula's coffin room to trigger the possibility of his appearing in the castle.

As far as I can tell, these possibilities exist (maybe more):

1. You find the coffin open and leave. Then, if you go up to the first room of the castle, Dracula attacks (this does not seem to be random at all). You have to wear the cross to make him go away (transforms to bat). Otherwise he kills you. To make him re-appear you'll have to re-visit his coffin room, find it open, leave, and so on.

2. You find the coffin closed, open it and wait a bit. Dracula wakes up and attacks. If you are wearing the cross, he flies away. If you don't he kills you. If you move close to the exit of the coffin room before he wakes up, you can leave the room, and he'll follow you to the next one with the stairs and attack there. I am unsure if you can dodge him being quick enough and have him chase after you more. If he flies away, and you leave and go up to the first room, you will again encounter Dracula, just like the aforementioned first case.

3, If you find the coffin closed and leave and go up to the first room, Dracula won't appear there.

Finding the coffin open or closed seems to be random. You can trigger each case by walking out and back in to the coffin room.