Getting Starship Titanic to run on Steam

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

LinuxGamer792

Getting Starship Titanic to run on Steam

Post by LinuxGamer792 »

Hey everyone, I've been having an issue with Starship Titanic. It's not running on Steam. I'm using Pop! OS.

According to the Steam forums, it's fixable:

"Ah, yes. The problem appears to be that the copy of Scummvm that Steam is using depends on libreadline.so.7, but the current version is libreadline.so.8. The solution was in another thread titled "Does not run for Ubuntu 20.04 and newer" which I somehow missed before. Just install ScummVM from the repo, then edit ~/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/Starship Titanic/ScummVM_Linux/launch_titanic_opengl.sh and change the line:
"${CURRENT_DIR}/scummvm" "-c" "scummvm-titanic-opengl.ini" "titanic-win"
to:
"scummvm" "-c" "scummvm-titanic-opengl.ini" "titanic-win"
and that works!"

Unfortunately, I don't know how to actually implement this fix.

Thanks for your help!
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Getting Starship Titanic to run on Steam

Post by Praetorian »

LinuxGamer792 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 9:24 pm Hey everyone, I've been having an issue with Starship Titanic. It's not running on Steam. I'm using Pop! OS.

According to the Steam forums, it's fixable:

"Ah, yes. The problem appears to be that the copy of Scummvm that Steam is using depends on libreadline.so.7, but the current version is libreadline.so.8. The solution was in another thread titled "Does not run for Ubuntu 20.04 and newer" which I somehow missed before. Just install ScummVM from the repo, then edit ~/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/Starship Titanic/ScummVM_Linux/launch_titanic_opengl.sh and change the line:
"${CURRENT_DIR}/scummvm" "-c" "scummvm-titanic-opengl.ini" "titanic-win"
to:
"scummvm" "-c" "scummvm-titanic-opengl.ini" "titanic-win"
and that works!"

Unfortunately, I don't know how to actually implement this fix.

Thanks for your help!
I think the gist of those instructions is to install a recent version of ScummVM (they suggest the one from your distribution's software repository), and then run the game using that version --which you will be able to call directly using the "scummvm" command.

We offer a few options to install ScummVM on a Linux distribution. They are documented here (including installing from the software repository):
https://docs.scummvm.org/en/latest/use_ ... puter.html (click on the "Linux" tab)

The rest of the steps are describing how to change the launch script for directly launching the game from that script or a shortcut that Steam installs.

However, a simpler way, albeit with a few more steps, might be to just install scummvm (as mentioned above), then run scummvm, add the game's folder, and then launch the game, all from ScummVM's launcher GUI. No editing of scripts needed. See our documentation on how to add a game, and launch it: https://docs.scummvm.org/en/latest/use_ ... games.html