ScummVM Graphical Issue on Startup_Un-useable

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Morgia

ScummVM Graphical Issue on Startup_Un-useable

Post by Morgia »

Hi Guys,

I have recently tried to install ScummVM 2.8.1 and after going through the installer and attempt startup I am greated with the following:
Scummvm_giant cursor.PNG
Scummvm_giant cursor.PNG (110.68 KiB) Viewed 291 times
It is the same when I tried the individual 32/64 applications.

Effectively I can't see the mouse but it is tracking as I can click on options etc. However as you can see granphically its not right.

My laptop setup is as follow:

Windows 7 - Service pack 1
Intel i7-3612QM CPU @ 2.10 GHz
8gb ram
64-bit operating system
GeForce GT 640M - Driver 425.31
DirectX version 11

Has anyone come across this issue before and know a fix? I did some googling and could not find any other issue similar to this one.

Cheers!!
Last edited by Morgia on Sun Jun 30, 2024 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: ScummVM Graphical Issue on Startup_Un-useable

Post by Praetorian »

Have you tried launching ScummVM with a clean configuration file?

You'll need to close ScummVM (if running), backup your existing scummvm.ini file and then remove the file (or rename it) so that ScummVM creates a new one upon launch.

https://docs.scummvm.org/en/latest/adva ... _file.html
Morgia

Post by Morgia »

I tried that and the same graphical issue is still present upon re-start of scummvm with a clean ini file.

Here is the image upon re-start:
Scummvm_restart with new ini.PNG
Scummvm_restart with new ini.PNG (73.91 KiB) Viewed 251 times
Same issue with being unable to see the mouse but it is tracking just invisible.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Morgia wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 7:18 am I tried that and the same graphical issue is still present upon re-start of scummvm with a clean ini file.
Could you run ScummVM from command line with at debug level 5 and post the output here? (eg. via a link to pastebin)

Code: Select all

scummvm.exe -d 5
Morgia

Post by Morgia »

I ran a level 5 debug through the command line.

Results can be found here: https://pastebin.com/yAuxECqb
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Morgia wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:30 am I ran a level 5 debug through the command line.

Results can be found here: https://pastebin.com/yAuxECqb
To me that log output looks mostly ok. But I am not very familiar with the scaling code. Maybe another developer could make more sense out of it.

---
Something that seems odd is that your log output is missing a couple of lines that I get on mine.
Something like:

CPU extensions:
SSE2(enabled) AVX2(not supported) NEON(not supported)
and also a line later on:

req: 1920 x 1137  cur: 1920 x 1137, scale: 1.000000
The CPU extensions output does not seem to be guarded by any conditions so it's more odd that it's missing.
The "req... " log output is guarded by a condition on the SDL version that ScummVM was built with. Which should be greater than 2.0.0.

Anyway, maybe it's a copy-paste issue and you missed those lines, so this could be irrelevant.

---
On another note, a potential workaround to try would be to run ScummVM in SDL Surface graphics renderer:

scummvm.exe --gfx-mode=surfacesdl
Morgia

Post by Morgia »

I had another look through the log output and the CPU extensions is there and matches what you posted (I just missed it as your said).

I am missing the line: "req: 1920 x 1137 cur: 1920 x 1137, scale: 1.000000". I could not find that at all.

I tried the work around and it worked!

Is there anyway to force ScummVM to load in this way?
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Morgia wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 3:10 am I am missing the line: "req: 1920 x 1137 cur: 1920 x 1137, scale: 1.000000". I could not find that at all.
Your values in this line will probably be different. But it should start with the "req: " string.
Morgia wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 3:10 am Is there anyway to force ScummVM to load in this way?
Yes, but it your case, since you are forcing the gfx mode from command line, I don't think you can then set it from the launcher GUI (because ScummVM still thinks this is a command line (ie. non-permanent configuration).

You will have to find you scummvm.ini file and edit it.
The likely location for it should be detailed here: https://docs.scummvm.org/en/latest/adva ... _file.html
First make sure ScummVM is not running.
Then edit the scummvm.ini configuration file with a text editor app.
Under the [scummvm] section modify the line starting with "gfx_mode=" to read

gfx_mode=surfacesdl
If no line starts with this string add a new one exactly as shown above.
Save the scummvm.ini file, and then launch ScummVM (without command line parameters).
Morgia

Post by Morgia »

Yeah I don't have the line that starts with "req: "string by the look of it.

I modified the ini file and ScummVM is loading now with no issues. Thank you!

Looking at the graphics setting the mode is set to "SDL Surface". I tried switching the graphics mode back to OpenGL and the same issues occured.

I wonder if I should do some investigation around my graphics card and drivers to see if there is anyhting missing or not up to date.

Do you know what ScummVM requires with regards to OpenGL?
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Yes, this definitely looks like a graphics driver issue. The cursor is generated from SVG and other graphics like a list/grid switch at the bottom or grouping icon above the game list. If it were a problem with the scaler or rendering, then all of these elements would be blown up.

The second observation is those mega-sized pixels. Once again, the cursor is coming from vector graphics. Thus, the conclusion is that the requested texture size, which is normally small for the cursors, maybe around 30x30, is bloated and scaled up by your video drivers.

SurfaceSDL graphics mode is the way to go since it uses no textures. And then wait until your vendor fixes the videocard drivers.

Eugene
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

As sev mentions you should look into whether your vendor has provided updated drivers for your GPU.

Also something interesting, the ScummVM log mentions the Intel Series 3000 integrated GPU, but in your first post you mention the GeForce GT 640M.

ScummVM seems to default to using the integrated Intel GPU, so one step would be to check if there are updated drivers for that one that you can install on your system.

Another thing to test would be to tell your system to use the Discrete GPU (GeForce GT GPU) with ScummVM.
I think these instructions would work, otherwise look for how to do this process on your laptop's manual or service support:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... phics.html
Morgia

Post by Morgia »

I have been doing a bit more diagnostic on the graphics driver in realtion to this issue.

My onboard itegrated graphics is: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
I should note that this is a legacy Dell XPS laptop (XPS 15 L521X) running Windows 7.
I downloaded and installed the latest drivers for both the integarted graphics and the GeForce graphics card.

I next dowladed the OpenGL Extensions Viewer from RealTech VR and ran the OpenGL report (results can be found here: https://pastebin.com/WPbZWxZe).

The TLDR version is that I have the latest drivers and that my machine supports OpenGL Version 3.3.

The same issues still persist when I switch to OpenGL graphics mode.

Does anyone know what version of OpenGL is required to run ScummVM?

I did check what graphics card is defaulted when running ScummVM and it is pointed to use the integrated graphics.

I also tried tinkering with the device manager and disabled the GeFore card and the same issue. When I disabled the integrated graphics and tried to swith to OpenGL graphics mode ScummVM just crashed.

Looks like I might just have to run in SDL mode as im at a bit of a loss. Unless anyone has any other ideas?