Myst III: Exile, "Game data not found"

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo Wii port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Mystifier3

Myst III: Exile, "Game data not found"

Post by Mystifier3 »

Hey there everyone,

I've been using ScummVM for probably around 4 or 5 years now on my PC, and it has been working great. However, a couple of weeks ago I discovered it was released on the Wii (Amazing!). So, I thought it would be fun to put the original three Myst games on it, because why not?

I got Riven to work first try, and it took a little tinkering with the original Myst, but in the end both seem to be working great. However, upon trying to get Myst 3 (Exile) to run, I get an error stating "Game Data Not Found".

I had Myst 3 running perfectly on my Windows 10 Laptop, so I just copied the same modified game directory I had for Windows 10 onto my games usb for my Wii. Yet no matter how many times I try changing the paths, (straight to the "Data" folder, "M3Data" folder or just the main containing folder), I cannot get the wii to recognize the game data for Myst 3. I read something somewhere about making sure not to use spaces or dashes in game directory names, so I changed the main containing folder to "M3", and checked that the "exe" application file was also named M3, but still no luck.

Is there something hardware limiting about the Wii that won't run this game, or am I making a simple mistake somewhere?

I made sure that the platform in ScummVM on my Wii was set to "Nintendo Wii" as well. Let me know what you guys think, thanks
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: Myst III: Exile, "Game data not found"

Post by sev »

It is not yet fully clear when exactly this error is occurred.

Which version of ScummVM do you use on Wii?
Is the game added successfully?
Please do not change the platform to "Nintendo Wii"; doing so could prevent the game from launching. That field is filled automatically.
When you check the About dialog, do you see "Myst 3" in the list of available engines?

Regarding the files, the safest and easiest way is to launch the game on your PC and then prepare the working directory for the Wii. That is, there should be no need to rename anything specifically for the Wii build of ScummVM. But I am not sure if the engine is compiled in your version of ScummVM.

Eugene
Mystifier3

Post by Mystifier3 »

Hey sev, thanks for the response.

1. I am using build 2.8.1, and Scummvm does recognize the game.

2. I changed the platform back to "Windows", which is what I had it set to on my computer. However, when I click "Start", I get the debug screen I believe, which reads "ERROR: Unable to create a renderer!". Here is a picture: https://www.imghippo.com/i/Ea6Hq1720460018.jpg

I also attached a picture of the "Game Data Not Found" result when choosing the platform as "Nintendo Wii".

3. Two versions of Myst III show up in the available engines, one that is black and says, "Myst III", and one that is greyed-out that reads "Myst III Exile (C) Presto Studios". I have attached a photo of this as well.

4. As for your last point regarding renaming, at first I took my directory directly from my PC, which still works perfectly fine, and I copied it over to the Wii without modifying anything. However, I got the "Game data not found" error (as I mentioned earlier), which is why I changed the settings to Nintendo Wii and tried renaming some of the folders to not include spaces (this was the forum thread that inspired me to try renaming some things: viewtopic.php?t=16825).

Let me know what you think, and thanks again for the response!
Attachments
Myst III Engines
Myst III Engines
20240708_103957.jpg (296.52 KiB) Viewed 2068 times
"Nintendo Wii" Platform Setting Result
"Nintendo Wii" Platform Setting Result
20240708_103741.jpg (206.26 KiB) Viewed 2068 times
"Windows" Platform Setting Result
"Windows" Platform Setting Result
20240708_102736.jpg (279.8 KiB) Viewed 2068 times
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Ah, it says, "Unable to create renderer." This is the root cause of the problem and the subsequent "Game data not found" is a generic message.

Myst3 is an OpenGL-based engine, and while we have a fallback to our software renderer, it obviously does not work on Wii. So, unfortunately, no luck for you in running the game. Perhaps we need to disable it on the Wii port, so it is not as confusing as it is now.

Eugene
Mystifier3

Post by Mystifier3 »

Gotcha, that would make sense. Thanks Eugene, good to know!