Elvira needs your help

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

fldc

Post by fldc »

Both games, Elvira and Elvira 2 seem to crash with an

Code: Select all

Looking for elvira1
Trying to start game 'Elvira - Mistress of the Dark'
allocateItem: Itemheap overflow!
Have i missed something? I've tried these games (Floppy/DOS/English) with both 0.10.0 and 0.11.0svn, and no luck.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

fldc wrote:Both games, Elvira and Elvira 2 seem to crash with an

Code: Select all

Looking for elvira1
Trying to start game 'Elvira - Mistress of the Dark'
allocateItem: Itemheap overflow!
Have i missed something? I've tried these games (Floppy/DOS/English) with both 0.10.0 and 0.11.0svn, and no luck.
Is this on a 64-bit system? I know we used to get that error in some AGOS games, but I thought that had been fixed - or at least worked around - by now.
fldc

Post by fldc »

Yes this is on a 64-bit system :)

edit: tried compiling a 32-bit binary and all was working fine.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

fldc wrote:Yes this is on a 64-bit system :)

edit: tried compiling a 32-bit binary and all was working fine.
You may want to file a bug report, then.
hwm

Post by hwm »

Is there anybody who has some more information on the dutch release of Elvira II? It seemed to be a localized version, but I find it a bit hard to believe, especially given the rarity of dutch translations.
Dwyloc

Post by Dwyloc »

Is it just me or dose save not work with ether elvira 1 or 2 with current SVN builds for windows.

I have the english dos versions of the games from the Elvra Horror Pack and keep getting the error message "WARNING: saveGame: Failed to save slot 1!" when ever I try to save.
Dwyloc

Post by Dwyloc »

Fixed my save problem.

For some reason leaving save location set to default dose not work. You have to set a save location.
Jedras

Elvira 2 issues

Post by Jedras »

I almost finished Elvira 2 but encountered two major problems. First there was a mushroom in the last level of spider caves that somehow caused the game to crash when I got near it. I just avoided the mushroom but there's a second, bigger issue. Somewhere in catacombs power points stop regenerating and because of this I find this game pretty much uncompletable. That's English/floppy/amiga version.
jamiehavok2

Re: Elvira needs your help

Post by jamiehavok2 »

The p.p points not regenerating bug is still happening on Elvira 2. Started playing it on scummvm because the compatibility is labled "Good" but soon encountered this bug sometime in studio 1 and couldn't progress the game. Playing in dosbox i cant reproduce the bug, so does seem like a scummvm thing with the save files. Maybe should label this game as "bugged"
I am playing the Elviras Horror pack version distributed by Adventuresoft on their website in the late 90s. Was Bundled With Elvira i and waxworks on cd for dos pc.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

jamiehavok2 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 2:39 am The p.p points not regenerating bug is still happening on Elvira 2. Started playing it on scummvm because the compatibility is labled "Good" but soon encountered this bug sometime in studio 1 and couldn't progress the game. Playing in dosbox i cant reproduce the bug, so does seem like a scummvm thing with the save files. Maybe should label this game as "bugged"
I am playing the Elviras Horror pack version distributed by Adventuresoft on their website in the late 90s. Was Bundled With Elvira i and waxworks on cd for dos pc.
Could you please add this information (and anything else you thing might help) to the existing bug report we have for this issue?
https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/6409
jamiehavok2

Post by jamiehavok2 »

Praetorian wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 6:08 am

Could you please add this information (and anything else you thing might help) to the existing bug report we have for this issue?
ok i managed to replicate the bug right at the start of the game and added 2 save files, 1 before and 1 after it happened.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

jamiehavok2 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 3:08 pm
Praetorian wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 6:08 am

ok i managed to replicate the bug right at the start of the game and added 2 save files, 1 before and 1 after it happened.
Thank you for taking the time to do this. It really does help, even if the bug report itself is quite old.

Personally I only have (as far as I remember) the GOG version of the game which is the DOS version (I guess, since it comes bundled with DOSBox), so I could probably replicate this on mine.. I am not too familiar with the games but I could give it a go; might take me a while to focus on it, due to real life issues --we'll see.