Lucasarts adventures on Steam!

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

marzipan wrote:The big audio file less than 300mb? Surely some compression must've been applied during the conversion there - the audio in its CDDA form was over 500mb+. You don't think they would've reduced the frequency or sample rate, would they?
It seems still big to me. I got 252 MB using FLAC.
Artfunkel

Post by Artfunkel »

If you can prove that you own Loom on Steam, I'm providing the FM-TOWNS release for download. [moderatorial: link removed]

I re-compressed the audio with OGG (from FLAC), so the download is only 32MB. There's no loss in quality at all, don't worry. :)
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Artfunkel wrote:If you can prove that you own Loom on Steam, I'm providing the FM-TOWNS release for download.
I don't, but I'm curious... How did you acquire the distribution rights for it? Since your page describes how to play it with ScummVM, I assume LucasArts weren't involved.
Artfunkel

Post by Artfunkel »

I don't have any negotiated rights. But since you can only access the download if you demonstrably own the game already, none are needed.

I got the download originally from an abandonware site, who will probably remove their link when they realise that the game is being sold again.
jg

Post by jg »

Artfunkel wrote:But since you can only access the download if you demonstrably own the game already, none are needed.
You sound pretty sure. Have you... checked?
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

Artfunkel wrote:I don't have any negotiated rights. But since you can only access the download if you demonstrably own the game already, none are needed.
Wrong. Having bought one version of a game does not give you the rights to download all other versions. Sorry, but law does not work that way.
Artfunkel wrote:I got the download originally from an abandonware site
Which is illegal.

Seriously, what you're doing is highly illegal. I'd suggest you stop that before you get in legal troubles for that.
Artfunkel

Post by Artfunkel »

Pssh, lighten up. Lucasarts can send me a warning if they're bothered (which I'm obviously confident they aren't and wouldn't be).

With that said, I'm deliberately not posting the link on sites like Digg. :P
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Artfunkel wrote:Pssh, lighten up. Lucasarts can send me a warning if they're bothered (which I'm obviously confident they aren't and wouldn't be).

With that said, I'm deliberately not posting the link on sites like Digg. :P
And also please, stay away from our forums with these offers too.

This is completely illegal, and I also think that you will get Cease&Desist letter from LucasArts any day.

Eugene
Artfunkel

Post by Artfunkel »

Do you want the link edited out?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Artfunkel wrote: With that said, I'm deliberately not posting the link on sites like Digg. :P
It probably shouldn't be posted here either. While we do know of a few former LucasArts employees who like us, LucasArts themselves, as a company... well, it's hard to tell, really. Most of the time, they seem to ignore us, but they've sent us at least one cease-and-desist letter (that I know of) so we tend to be a bit paranoid about them.
Artfunkel

Post by Artfunkel »

If you want to delete my post and the ones following it, feel free. It's your website. :)
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

DrMcCoy wrote:Wrong. Having bought one version of a game does not give you the rights to download all other versions. Sorry, but law does not work that way.
Indeed, if I bought the 360 version of Fallout 3, for example, it doesn't make it ok for me to illegally download the PC version of the same game.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Artfunkel wrote:If you want to delete my post and the ones following it, feel free. It's your website. :)
I've removed the link. I didn't see any reason to remove anything else.
marzipan

Post by marzipan »

Freddo wrote:
DrMcCoy wrote:Wrong. Having bought one version of a game does not give you the rights to download all other versions. Sorry, but law does not work that way.
Indeed, if I bought the 360 version of Fallout 3, for example, it doesn't make it ok for me to illegally download the PC version of the same game.
I think there's a whole world of difference between downloading a version/port that's no longer supported, in print or generating any profits for anyone, and downloading a version/port that's still very much being manufactured and supported.

Also, bear in mind we're talking about FM-Towns games which regularly go for anywhere between £/$100-900 on eBay and appear on an extremely rare basis. How likely do you think people are going to want to go down the 'legal' route in that case? Are all honest people/collectors on here incredibly rich most of the time or something?
If FM-Towns games were still being produced to this day and sold for peanuts, that would be a lot more understandable. So it's ridiculous to put it in a comparison with a game released only last year.

IMO Artfunkel isn't robbing LucasArts of any hard-earned profit with what he's doing - they still receive the Steam profits in the end, which is what they want the most.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

marzipan wrote:Also, bear in mind we're talking about FM-Towns games which regularly go for anywhere between £/$100-900 on eBay and appear on an extremely rare basis. How likely do you think people are going to want to go down the 'legal' route in that case? Are all honest people/collectors on here incredibly rich most of the time or something?
If FM-Towns games were still being produced to this day and sold for peanuts, that would be a lot more understandable. So it's ridiculous to put it in a comparison with a game released only last year.
Well just because a car isn't produced and sold anymore, you don't have the right to steal it, right?
marzipan wrote: IMO Artfunkel isn't robbing LucasArts of any hard-earned profit with what he's doing - they still receive the Steam profits in the end, which is what they want the most.
Your opinion of course. That's still doesn't match the law. Also see forum rule #0 about it:
Rule #0 wrote: No Warez. No Abandonware discussions. Links to content of a questionable nature, asking for, offering, or asking for help/helping to process such content in any way or form is not tolerated. No, it's not okay to request parts of a game either, even if you already own another version of it, or to replace damaged media. Consider Copyright FAQ.