STARK engine

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

somaen
ScummVM Developer

Re: STARK engine

Post by somaen »

Out of curiosity, is that weird english/german-mixture visible in ScummVM for such cases as well, or do we have a mismatch in our
translation conversion?
bgK
ScummVM Developer

Post by bgK »

@Vorph, I forgot to reply here, but your TLJ version has been added to ResidualVM.
Bakhtosh
Got a warning

Post by Bakhtosh »

I noticed some time ago that the Stark engine support work in progress, but from the TODO list is sounded that it's not fun to play yet.

But searching for a possibility to get antialiasing to TLJ I tried it (latest daily build) and it works so much better than I thought it would.

Looks like the TODO list is a kind of obsolete. All the tooltips and the top menu buttons are there and I couldn't see something wrong with the dialog panel colors or the fonts (played the german version and the english demo). Characters are walking through each other but thats not that uncommon for older games. And from the list I though they would walk through other objects but that's not the case.

I thought I wouldn't be able to save because the load/save menu was on the TODO list, but I can save/load using the ResidualVM ingame menu accessible through the options button.

So the game already looks good and can already be played in a convenient way.

The thing I miss most is access to the diary and dialog history screens since it's a long game with a lot of dialog and story events to remember. Would be nice to have these screens available (even if it's only by using hotkeys if it's hard to implement the settings/main menu screens).

All in all I can only say:
WOW - keep up the marvellous work!

Edit:
@dev-team: Do already want to receiver bug reports that doesn't have something to do with still missing features (haven't encountered any so far)? Or only after the game was officially switched to "supported"?
bgK
ScummVM Developer

Post by bgK »

Thanks for the report. Work on TLJ is still undergoing albeit at a low speed.

I've just updated the TODO list. Some of the items on that list such as tooltips have an initial implementation, but are not accurate with regard to the original engine.

You may report bugs that block the progression in the game. There should not be any, but as you said it is a long game. It is not tested entirely after each change. Breakage is possible.