Monkey Island 1 and WIndows 2000

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Collector

Post by Collector »

arkaoss wrote:It's running windows 2000 people! that might as well have a dos boot mode. I'll slip in some Cd drivers into the autoexec.bat & heck you can even run the incredible machine & Transport tycoon Deluxe like the old days!
Err... Win2k is an NT based OS. There is no DOS mode, only the poor DOS emulator, NTVDM. To even get sound with the NTVDM you would need to install VDMSound. Even the file system is probably NTFS, which DOS can't read. A Windows NT based (this also includes XP and Vista) does not use config.sys or autoexec.bat. There is config.nt and autoexec.nt for use with the NTVDM, but has nothing to do with the boot of the OS.
exofreeze
Banned

Post by exofreeze »

I love it when the collector does that!
arkaoss

Post by arkaoss »

Collector wrote: Err... Win2k is an NT based OS. There is no DOS mode, only the poor DOS emulator, NTVDM. To even get sound with the NTVDM you would need to install VDMSound. Even the file system is probably NTFS, which DOS can't read. A Windows NT based (this also includes XP and Vista) does not use config.sys or autoexec.bat. There is config.nt and autoexec.nt for use with the NTVDM, but has nothing to do with the boot of the OS.
***BXXXXXT **** WRONG!
Well in this case only, to be mildly un-combatitive, normally you'd be correct.

The machine in question is a horrifically over burdened original pentium.. i'd be surprised if it's a 400mhz. It was built up to 98 from windows 3.1 after a lightening strike resusutation, by ME.
2k was slapped over the top at a later time by my Cuz. It most def does have remains of 98 & dos on its Fat 32 partition.

To continue,
the CD version that was realeased by PCgamer was requisite a purchase code. I was wondering if any one'd call me on that. Seeing as how I still have the CD in my collection, i'm still vauguly stymied that I never did cough up the dough & have another good solid piece of media to rely upon.

But, as far as your other point :
exofreeze wrote: As of this year several abandonware sites have had legal threats for hosting the Monkey Island series.

Just because some sites out there still host it does not mean that they are legit.

LucasArts has NEVER made any of their games freeware.
They don't have much time left, As I earlier stated, I bought my CD 14 yrs ago, and it had existed on floppy before that, I don't know how long. BUT Copyright law, holds original work for maybe 17yrs. Look into Disney's frequent re- contesting for protection on the likes of "Snow White" to the level of the Supreme court.
They've extended that because of Undeniable Legal clout, but I'd wonder if Lucas arts might fight about Monkey Island 1 when it's copyright Expire's.

Those abandonware site's may not have much longer to worry about. Though trademark.. if they have trade mark, like SCUMM that they can keep active different way's.

And on yet another note Exo,
exofreeze wrote: That is over 10,000 games, practically the entire history of video gaming, in one arcade. http://theexo.com/main.htm
Your sales page seems to be broken, I'd like to understand how unlike the Lazurus project you feel you can get a profit on re-branding mame'd stuff without I'm SURE the consent of that many large manufacturer's.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

arkaoss wrote:They don't have much time left, As I earlier stated, I bought my CD 14 yrs ago, and it had existed on floppy before that, I don't know how long. BUT Copyright law, holds original work for maybe 17yrs.
You are very, very wrong here. It would be best if you checked on our wiki pages for copyright before you made such claims:
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Copyright_FAQ

In particular:
Abandonware is not a proper legal concept. Copyright of computer software seems to end 95 years after publication (at least in the USA). Feel free to check back in around 2080 if you're allowed to download the games then.
and also:
Works created in or after 1978 are extended copyright protection for a term defined in 17 U.S.C. § 302. With the passage of the Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act, these works are granted copyright protection for a term ending 70 years after the death of the author. If the work was a work for hire (e.g., those created by a corporation) then copyright persists for 120 years after creation or 95 years after publication, whichever is shortest.
Therefore, it would take much more than "maybe 17yrs"

So, I still keep asking my original question:
Is there a point in this thread?
Collector

Post by Collector »

arkaoss wrote: ***BXXXXXT **** WRONG!
Well in this case only, to be mildly un-combatitive, normally you'd be correct.

The machine in question is a horrifically over burdened original pentium.. i'd be surprised if it's a 400mhz. It was built up to 98 from windows 3.1 after a lightening strike resusutation, by ME.
2k was slapped over the top at a later time by my Cuz. It most def does have remains of 98 & dos on its Fat 32 partition.
You never mentioned that you have a dual boot on that machine. Your original post:
arkaoss wrote: It's running windows 2000 people! that might as well have a dos boot mode. I'll slip in some Cd drivers into the autoexec.bat & heck you can even run the incredible machine & Transport tycoon Deluxe like the old days!.
Not one mention of Windows 9x at all. EVERYTHING that I said about 2k still holds true. NT has no DOS, only a crappy DOS emulator. Maybe you don't understand what dual boot is, but you can setup multiple incompatible OSs on the same machine as long as the OS has been ported that architecture. It is possible to have DOS, several versions of Windows, Mac OSX, Linux, BSD on the same computer. This does not mean that they all have a DOS mode.
arkaoss

Post by arkaoss »

multiboot?!?! i . u. wh.
anandtech forum's, suorangeman. 7 os's on 1 system. I read that after he wrote it and made a system that booted 98, NT, linux, and Beos. Multi boot's pretty fun' isn't it? We are getting off topic. Maybe me and collector could reminsce in PM or something. He's right about not being able to play ooold games on 2k without real emulation or low level multi-booting.

no wait.. i'm not outta here. curses to the legal system for extending copyright to 98 yrs (see my comment about Disney. I'm pretty sure it's their fault.)
ok.. now i'm done commenting. sorry.
longlivejordank

What is the point of this thread?

Post by longlivejordank »

I know I know I said I wouldn't post again but...

The point of this thread was for me to help my 13 yeard old cousin figure out how to get music/sound on her pos computer. We successfully did that. In the mean time this whole disaster came about. When all I wanted to do was help little Justine with her game. Well on a good note, she has already beaten Monkey Island 1 and is on to Monkey Island 2. So thanks...
"Now turn off your computer and go to bed"
TribeHasSpoken

Post by TribeHasSpoken »

md5 wrote: So, I still keep asking my original question:
Is there a point in this thread?
A lot of myths are being brought up and debunked, making it a valuable resource. You could say that the Copyright FAQ serves the same purpose, but the pirates on this thread obviously haven't head it.
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

TribeHasSpoken wrote:A lot of myths are being brought up and debunked, making it a valuable resource. You could say that the Copyright FAQ serves the same purpose, but the pirates on this thread obviously haven't head it.
tbh, i dont think the pirates care
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Ok. That's enough. Forum Rule 0 has been violated several times. This thread is locked