Idea: ScummVM+

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

timofonic

Post by timofonic »

I think the location of this post is more adecuate in Junkyard.
MrPunchy wrote:Is a great idea!!

I wanna scummvm+ to skip ALL the copy protections!!
Forum rule #0
http://forum.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=17

JohnnyWalker2001, I think you have a serious problem understanding what ScummVM is, no offence. You are still wrong with this way of writing messages to the forum.

Please avoid the massive usage of caps lock and use PM for Private Messages. I accept insults too.

I think you must think more your fantasies and convert them into something with more sense before posting them on a forum.

ScummVM Team is quite open to suggestions and developers wanting to do certain inprovements and features, not needed a fork if those ideas have certain sense.

Did you know MAME Team is not happy with those forks? Did you know they have the legal power to close those projects if they wanted but not care of that?
JohnnyWalker2001 wrote: TRY *READING* WHAT YOU'RE REPLYING TO!
I did read your message perfectly, please be more educated.
MrPunchy

Post by MrPunchy »

The Madventurer wrote:
MrPunchy wrote:Is a great idea!!

I wanna scummvm+ to skip ALL the copy protections!!
Forum rule #0
http://forum.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=17
But skip the copy protections is not warez. I have all the manuals with the codes, but is better skip them.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

MrPunchy: this has been answered many times in the past, which you could have found with a simple forum search

Refer to these posts:
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=2586
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=4109

To quote clem:
clem wrote:...some games were released in versions with and without copy-protection - since the copyprotection for those games was disabled in the .exe file and not in the datafiles ScummVM can not tell if the version you bought had copyprotection or not - and thus bypasses it

games which were only sold with copyprotection have their protection still intact...
JohnnyWalker2001

Post by JohnnyWalker2001 »

md5 wrote:Well, there's little that can be done as Kirben said, it's a bug in the original game's sound samples, which can't be altered in a legal way
I've got a little more time to write a proper reply now, sorry. As I briefly said, Kirben is talking about something else (replacing sound samples) which is regarding someone else's idea in another thread. I understand why that particular thing can't happen though, which is fair enough.

I don't think removing gaps in script timings would necessarily mean changing the audio files, as I doubt there's actual gaps of "nothing" inserted into them? (It would seem an odd way to handle audio.)

Shy of me creating a few MP3s to demonstrate what I mean, though, I don't think anyone has completely grasped what I'm suggesting (it's a little hard to explain quite how "wrong" it feels, although you DO get used to it after hours of playing CMI).

Also, like I said, it's nice to hear that ScummVM is a little more relaxed than MAME (which, I understand, is due to the difference in the project's goals), and actually does implement thing like bug fixes anyway.

I guess if I can make it clear about the gaps, then maybe they might get "fixed", too.
JohnnyWalker2001

The Madventurer wrote:I think the location of this post is more adecuate in Junkyard.

I did read your message perfectly, please be more educated.
I do apologise. I be more educated in the future.

Actually, in all seriousness, I do apologise. I lost my rag with you because of your condescending manner, and even though you still don't understand what we're all talking about here, I'm sorry I yelled at you.
JohnnyWalker2001

Another good example: When Guybrush first enters the swamp on Plunder. Murray says "boo!", and then there's a whole second pause before Guybrush screams.
Arantor

Post by Arantor »

I actually thought that slight pause (not a full second on either the original game on my PC, nor on ScummVM, but still a noticeable pause) was actually part of the joke, that Guybrush paused for a moment before screaming in a vaguely frightened way.
Oncer

Post by Oncer »

reaction time?
I don't mean reaction time of the game. I mean, Guybrush also needs time to react. No one starts screaming immediately. There usually is a short moment of shock (about 1 second :))
JohnnyWalker2001

Arantor wrote:I actually thought that slight pause (not a full second on either the original game on my PC, nor on ScummVM, but still a noticeable pause) was actually part of the joke, that Guybrush paused for a moment before screaming in a vaguely frightened way.
I thought someone might say that, but it's not part of the joke (it doesn't make sense as the user probably hasn't even noticed Murray at that point).
exofreeze
Banned

Post by exofreeze »

JohnnyWalker2001 wrote:
Arantor wrote:I actually thought that slight pause (not a full second on either the original game on my PC, nor on ScummVM, but still a noticeable pause) was actually part of the joke, that Guybrush paused for a moment before screaming in a vaguely frightened way.
I thought someone might say that, but it's not part of the joke (it doesn't make sense as the user probably hasn't even noticed Murray at that point).
maybe you just have a really slow system..lol
JohnnyWalker2001

lol

thud