Adding Voice acting to Non-Voice acting games

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

joelphilippage wrote:Ok. What I could do is just remake the whole game with AGS then I could be able to have voice acting on that. I might also be able to update the graphics too after I'm done.
Actually, I don't think you can do that either. LEC holds the rights to Monkey Island, Guybrush, etc.. :P
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

you could write a program that sits on top of monkey island(wouldn't get scummvm support, i think) that acts like speech simulator, but with ready made audio. probably more effort than it is worth (discussed @ http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=4277 )... again the copyright law's are such bitches
doc labyrinth

Post by doc labyrinth »

PsYcO wrote:but using your reasoning its ok to commit murder if no-one finds out about it. while it is an extreme, how about if you kill a homeless person with no family ties, no-one will miss him, and if you do it humanly it wont hurt anyone. so its fine right?
no, because if i were to kill a homeless person, i'd be ending a human life (regardless of whether or not it "hurts" him, i'd still be harming him) not adding voices to a game made nearly 20 years ago. if i were to use your method of inane logic, i could use that statement to make the assumption that you find no value in the life of a homeless person. maybe you think its ok to kill someone that no one would miss, but i don't. not everything is so completely black and white. there are different degrees of right and wrong, everything isn't as simple as merely "right" or merely "wrong." the fact of the matter is, if someone added voices to an old game that didn't previously have any, it would be fun to do and interesting to play, bottom line. i feel like you are simply just trying to perpetuate an argument that shouldn't have even been started. i stated interest in the aforementioned idea, if you don't like it because of your precious "laws," then don't take part. i highly doubt that he intends to make a profit off of his alteration of the game. i'm not a cop, nor do i want to be one.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Well, you can always edit your own game's scripts and then create a patch file that can be used to patch the original game. That's not illegal, people who translate game text do it all the time. You may check here for example:
http://www.clickteam.com/eng/patchmaker.php
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

doc labyrinth wrote:
PsYcO wrote:but using your reasoning its ok to commit murder if no-one finds out about it. while it is an extreme, how about if you kill a homeless person with no family ties, no-one will miss him, and if you do it humanly it wont hurt anyone. so its fine right?
no, because if i were to kill a homeless person, i'd be ending a human life (regardless of whether or not it "hurts" him, i'd still be harming him) not adding voices to a game made nearly 20 years ago. if i were to use your method of inane logic, i could use that statement to make the assumption that you find no value in the life of a homeless person. maybe you think its ok to kill someone that no one would miss, but i don't. not everything is so completely black and white. there are different degrees of right and wrong, everything isn't as simple as merely "right" or merely "wrong." the fact of the matter is, if someone added voices to an old game that didn't previously have any, it would be fun to do and interesting to play, bottom line. i feel like you are simply just trying to perpetuate an argument that shouldn't have even been started. i stated interest in the aforementioned idea, if you don't like it because of your precious "laws," then don't take part. i highly doubt that he intends to make a profit off of his alteration of the game. i'm not a cop, nor do i want to be one.
*sigh*, im not saying that a homeless person has no human value. but using your logic i see how that thought may be acceptable.
there are not different degrees of right and wrong, if you break a law you can get punished, just cause its fashionable or whatever doesn't make it right.
but if we go about telling people its fine to break the law for your own reasons then scummvm *may* get taken down or sued.
seubz

Post by seubz »

As I said earlier, you can edit the scripts by parsing the resource files, finding the right blocks, and add the right opcodes. You would have to create your own program to do that, and if you don't know how to code, you should forget about it. Also, making it in AGS would take a hell lot of time... Redoing all the scripts for the game sounds like a year of work or more. And anyway in order to "port" the game to AGS you would have to extract all the data from the resource files, so you would anyway have to know programming.