Igor: Objective Uikokahonia is now Freeware

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Longcat

Post by Longcat »

No, I think he is speaking about the spanish cd talkie version.

If an english version still exist, it resides at Pendulo Studios.
tumbleweed

Post by tumbleweed »

It was distributed in english for sure, but I am not sure whether it was talkie http://www.myabandonware.com/media/capt ... onia_3.gif

But I think so I barely infer it from an interview with their designers:

http://macedoniamagazine.frodrig.com/pendulo.htm

(translation of some paragraphs in the middle section)

R.L.- Well, it's true that there were a lot of meetings with Infogrames and indeed, a deal was done for its distribution, although due to some internal problems of them, eventually they had to cancel some projects, among them it was Igor.
Regarding other versions of the game, a version for USA was developed with an improved interpreter and some new screens. Unfortunately, the company that licenced it did not do a good distribution job, and the product gone quite unnoticed.
In Spain, it's gonna be released soon through El Mundo newspaper a new CD-ROM version which will feature voices, audio music and all the imrpvoements from the american version.

R.H.- Once Igor finished, a thing we made clear was that we need to improve the engine just to offer more quality in the following project. Thus, we developed a powerful one in protected mode and 320x200. It required 4 Mb RAM, which allowed multidirectional scrolls within large screens, as well as big and smooth animations in a cartoonish style, voices, etc. Upon that new engine we started to develop the Igor that infogrames wanted, but unfortunately, the project had to stall and the engine was never released. In those moments, market advanced a lot technologically, and we had to get our hands from scratch over a new engine that worked in high res, the one used in Hollywood Monsters.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

The English version was distributed and is quite easy to locate, but it is not a talkie. I know an english talkie was produced, but I am pretty sure it never was distributed.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Ps. Hollywood monsters suffered the same fate, an English talkie was produced and sent to some reviewers(I know it exists), but never released publicly.
tumbleweed

Post by tumbleweed »

It's not that I don't trust you, but can I ask you what are your sources just ot be sure to erase it from my wishlist?
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Why would you want to erase it? Just because it is not in The public domain does not mean it does not exist. Hopefully, someday, Pendulo will release it.

And what, specifically, are you asking for a source for?
tumbleweed

Post by tumbleweed »

Ohh! So I can not only erase it from the wishlist but also I have to assume it's even more difficult to get given it exists :)

i was wondering about your sources because you sound like totally sure of what you say. I mean how do you know they had a completly finished version' I checked once and could not find any enlighting comment
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

I can not give you any reliable source for that, i have been an avid collector for years and have never seen any trace of it in the public domain(legal or illegal). I know they were close to releasing the english talkie version when it was cancelled, which would indicate that the game was at least in it's final stages.

But you would have to ask Pendulo directly.

I know the English version of Hollywood monsters exist, because I have seen it myself. Most of the game is translated , except for a few cutscenes that are still in Spanish. One of the reviewers at Adventuregamers own a copy.