Moderator: ScummVM Team

suloku

Post by suloku »

EDIT: tried renaming again, seems to work just right :shock:

EDIT2: adding the voice.inf file makes the trick without having to rename:

00 00 -> french
01 00 -> deutch
02 00 -> english
03 00 -> spanish? Tried SPGOB3.ITK and ESGOB3.ITK with no luck. Read 05 00 below.
04 00 -> italian (I tried renaming an audio file to ITGOB.ITK and worked)(my CD doesn't come with italian audio).
05 00 (and others probably) -> Mute? Subtitles appear, but blunt's face speaking doesn't at any time (nor audio of course).

I hope that helps someone, but well, as renaming worked, there's no much sense for the voice.inf file unless it's somehow added to scumm or some utility to select audio language in gobs3.

EDIT3: I made a simple exe that creates the voice.inf file with the desired language:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mmzm53w1jya

Sorry, I don't have much access to the net lately, and I don't have my pc around when I'm able to connect.

Anyway, I haven't tried again, but I'm sure that renaming made the speech weird, but I'll try again.

What I've tried is installing from the cd under a dosbox environment, selecting spanish as subtitle language and english as audio language makes it work just right.

Then I tried copying the installed files over a new dir and adding that dir to scummvm, I selected the spanish version of the game when prompted and my surprise is that it worked right away with spanish subs and english audio.

I also noticed that the installed game has a few more files than there are at the cdrom, this is a filelist:
CAT.INF -> 0x00 to 0x09 and 0x1F4 to 0x1FD set to 0x20. All other until 0x6A3 (1699 bytes) set to 0x00
COKTEL2.IMD
COKTEL.CTL
COKTEL.IMD
COKTEL.IMS
EXT.STK
GOB3.EXE
HIRAM.VRL
IMD.ITK
INSTALL.ASK
INTRO.STK
MDO.CFG -> it isn't a text file, I'll upload if asked to
MDO.DEF
MDOS.IMD
MUS_GOB3.LIC
SETUP.EXE
TOT.STK
USGOB3.ITK
VERSION
VOICE.INF --> this file contents are "02 00" (hex)
MDO.DEF contents:
NAME:GOBLINS3
EXEC:GOB3
LINE:
LANG:LG_FR+LG_GB+LG_DE+LG_SP
GRAPH:VGA
MOUSE:YES
SOUNDN:
SOUND:BLASTER+MEDIA+NOSOUND+ADLIB+MDO
JOY:NO
CDROM:YES
RAM:570
RAMHI:100
HARD:500
MPC:1
And this are the CD contents (what I copy to scumm, adding track1.mp3 of course): (bold=not present on an installation, underlined=not present on the disc, but on a goblins installation)
CAT.INF
COKTEL2.IMD
COKTEL.CTL
COKTEL.IMD
COKTEL.IMS
DEGOB3.ITK
EXT.STK
FRGOB3.ITK
GOB3.EXE
HIRAM.VRL
IMD.ITK
INSTALL.ASK
INSTALL.COM
INSTALL.INF
INTRO.STK
MDO.CFG
MDO.DEF
MDOS.IMD
MUS_GOB3.LIC
README.BAT
README.TXT
SETUP.EXE
TOT.STK
USGOB3.ITK
VERSION
VOICE.INF
ZZZZZZZZ.ZZZ
So, the installation just copies the necessary voice file, plus creates the voice.inf, mdo.cfg and cat.inf files
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

suloku wrote:EDIT2: adding the voice.inf file makes the trick without having to rename:
Whoa, okay. I never noticed that the scripts read a VOICES.INF file. They only do it when Spanish is selected as the primary language, too. That's some evil hack *g*.

Anyway, the numbers seem to match the general language numbers also used by the engine:

Code: Select all

enum Language {
  kLanguageFrench     =  0,
  kLanguageGerman     =  1,
  kLanguageBritish    =  2,
  kLanguageSpanish    =  3,
  kLanguageItalian    =  4,
  kLanguageAmerican   =  5,
  kLanguageDutch      =  6,
  kLanguageKorean     =  7,
  kLanguageHebrew     =  8,
  kLanguagePortuguese =  9,
  kLanguageJapanese   = 10
};
The second value seems to be ignored, since only one byte is read out of that file.
suloku

Post by suloku »

That's really a strange thing. Is spanish the only language lacking voices?

That would make sense to have it be able to at least select which language do you want the voices to be at the installation, but that leaves me with the question: is spanish the only language where the installer lets you select the voices language?

If it is, it would be fun that they added this only to one language.