Drascula wants to take over the world!

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ICEknight

Post by ICEknight »

Now that it works without problems, have you guys found out if this game shares the same engine as Alcachofa Soft's other games, like Fred and Jeff/Mortadelo y Filemón?
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

There is no engine. Everything is hardcoded, everything :cry: :cry: :cry:

Eugene
Ceri Cat

Post by Ceri Cat »

Ouch sev. That's painful.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Yeah, and not only that, the code was... well... not that pretty
Ceri Cat

Post by Ceri Cat »

Ugh I copped enough abuse because I dared to tidy up some code on an open source project and had the audacity to ask the programmer why he'd done something a particular way. Got jumped by other users. *sighs* I was actually just trying to help the community for that project by making the code easier to read and modify, and a little more resource efficient. *rolls eyes* Messy code annoys me, even my own I keep tidy as possible because it makes it quicker to find and patch bugs. Part of the problem here though might be being translated and hard coded originally that they mangled the code in the translation process. Or is the Spanish as bad?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

No, it's not the function/variable names that we're talking about here, almost all of them have been translated to English now. The problem is the way that the original programmers chose to do several stuff, as well as the constant copied and pasted code all over
Ceri Cat

Post by Ceri Cat »

I didn't either, a few times with translations I've seen code that has been rewritten which didn't make sense to rewrite for a simple interface translation.
Jade

Post by Jade »

ummmm i coulda sworn the voice acting wasn't this horrendous when i was little? is this a case of everything that was bad when you were growing up you saw as good? lol
Tsampikos

Post by Tsampikos »

You remember correctly.But it's not because the quality is bad.I have the impression that the voice acting was not of people who had english as mother-language. It's been years since i last played the game and i don't remember if i am wrong or not.But there was sure something odd about the voice acting.
Desperado

Post by Desperado »

And what about Alfred Pelrock? It's from the makers of Drascula.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/alfred-pelrock
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

the engine is STILL hard coded.
kelmer

Post by kelmer »

Alfred Pelrock has nothing to do with Alcachofa Soft, Drascula or its "engine", it was developed by different people.

Besides, it's probably the worst game ever . :P
kelmer

Post by kelmer »

By the way, I've just tried Drascula and found that the sound controls don't work at all; I can't find a way to raise or lower the bars, which if I remember correctly was done by just clicking the mouse in the original game.

Also, if you hold your mouse button down, the game runs very slow. Did this happen in the original version as well?

On the other hand, the original game skipped dialogue lines by just pressing any key, but this makes it almost impossible to take screenshots, as the scenes are skipped when you press "Alt+S", is there any way to disable this?
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

use Ctr - Prt Scr?

you should report these things to the bug tracker, not here:)
kelmer

Post by kelmer »

I don't know wether these are bugs or not, so I decided to ask here first.