Moderator: ScummVM Team

MrX_Cuci

Post by MrX_Cuci »

Ok, ok, got. Can I at least leave the *.drv files out? :wink:
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

MrX_Cuci wrote:Ok, ok, got. Can I at least leave the *.drv files out? :wink:
In most games, usually yes. But in some SCI0 games, these actually contain the sound patch sent to the audio driver... so if you delete them, your game won't start
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

In summary: Just keep all files. It's just not worth the bother to sort through them, you only save a couple kb anyway.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

md5 wrote:
MrX_Cuci wrote:Ok, ok, got. Can I at least leave the *.drv files out? :wink:
In most games, usually yes. But in some SCI0 games, these actually contain the sound patch sent to the audio driver... so if you delete them, your game won't start
They're not included in the PATCH files? That's also strange because you can move drivers between different games and it works fine without screwing up instruments. And the utilities I have to create my own instrument PATCH files (for MT-32 and Adlib) for SCI0 do just that, write to PATCH files. Which games use the drivers?
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

MusicallyInspired wrote:Which games use the drivers?
Only the early ones should require the AdLib driver (KQ4 old and xmas1988). Some games seem to require the MT32 one as well, but the code doesn't specify which ones those are.
MusicallyInspired

Fascinating. Good to know.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

clone2727 wrote:
MusicallyInspired wrote:Which games use the drivers?
Only the early ones should require the AdLib driver (KQ4 old and xmas1988). Some games seem to require the MT32 one as well, but the code doesn't specify which ones those are.
The MT-32 patch is in patch.001, which is only missing in SCI0 early games. Later games include it in their resource files
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Just to clear this up a bit: the *.drv files should only be needed in the 3 SCI0 early games (i.e. KQ4 early, xmas88 and LSL2 early). The rest have the patch files in their regular game resources, so the drivers aren't needed.
MusicallyInspired

Neat. So only the super early SCI games, most of which have newer revisions at that.