Moved to Git

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

This is working for me.
Try to do it in a completely different directory (e.g. /tmp)
Try to checkout https instead of http (both work for me)
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

i tried both and both with http and https, always the same

...so, sadly not up to date anymore
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Raziel wrote:svn co http://svn.github.com/scummvm/scummvm

svn: Svndiff has invalid header

What am i doing wrong?
Your version of svn is too old. Try updating. At least someone on github had the same problem:
kcivey wrote:I'm getting a similar problem, andyinabox. I'm assuming it's an incompatibility with older versions of svn. I was seeing it with version 1.2.3. Works fine with version 1.4.4.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Thought so :-(

No update here, i'd have to build it myself but i'm missing some dependencies and most of all the skill of coding :-/
mattn

Post by mattn »

http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/SVN#Getting_the_code should be updated.

Where will the tools and buildbot branches be stored now?
mattn

Post by mattn »

you might also find some of the info here useful for adding to your git tips wiki page: http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/ ... the_source

in particular

Code: Select all

git config --global alias.upbase "rebase '@{u}'"
this might be useful if you don't like merge commits
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

mattn wrote: Where will the tools and buildbot branches be stored now?
I was thinking the same about tools, scummvm-misc, residual?
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Red_Breast wrote:
mattn wrote: Where will the tools and buildbot branches be stored now?
I was thinking the same about tools, scummvm-misc, residual?
The tools are hosted on github too. Since scummvm-misc and residual are no projects directly related to ScummVM (i.e. not part of ScummVM) it is up to them to decide whether they will continue to use SVN or switch to git. Anyway they probably will not be hosted as part of the ScummVM organization on github.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Thanks. I'd forgot that I'd already noticed that there was a tools repository.
I wonder how others are finding git? By others I mean those of us that only think of source code as a bunch of files with different coloured text that you can turn into an executable.
With what I'm about to say let me stress that if the team feel that git is better than svn then that is the important thing here. This is just some personal observations.

The git terminology is very different and I prefer svn in this respect. I don't think it's because I'm used to svn either. Last weekend I managed to set it all up by cloning the repository and for the last hour I've been trying to work out how to update. I think it's either fetch or pull but I can't work out the difference (how on earth do you guys for whom English is not your mother-tongue manage?)

With svn instead of clone it would be checkout and to update it would be update. I've tried 4 different GUIs and a couple of terminal apps but don't like any of them. As I have to settle on one I think it's going to be Cola Git GUI.
By the way there is a terminal program in some repos like apt titled easygit. It's suppose to be 'git for mere mortals'. Don't you believe it.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Red_Breast wrote:The git terminology is very different and I prefer svn in this respect. I don't think it's because I'm used to svn either. Last weekend I managed to set it all up by cloning the repository and for the last hour I've been trying to work out how to update. I think it's either fetch or pull but I can't work out the difference (how on earth do you guys for whom English is not your mother-tongue manage?)
Well I guess the easy way out is reading the manual pages / documentation... That helps for both native and non-native English speakers.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

or any of the tons of tutorial. Or the "Git for people knowing SVN" guidelines. Or one of the visual "cheat sheets" which summarize the most essential command.

Or just memorizing that "git pull" is what you need to do instead of "svn update" ;).
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Lord Hoto - I guess it's just me then. I had a girlfriend from the Nederlands for a few years. She spoke English way better than me.

I really wouldn't just post without going through the tutorials etc. I don't know if I give the impression of that type of person. I just don't want to spend hours trying to get my head around this stuff. My time is limited.

I just don't think that both of you got the gist of my post. The main point I'm talking about is that for those of us who don't understand code the SVN terminology is easier to understand if you just want to set up a folder on your PC of a repository. As I said about fetch and pull. I could read the differences in about 10 seconds. But I can't get my head around what I was reading.

I'll start pulling then. Let's hope I get the right end :roll:
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Well, it's just... googlined for "git for svn users", the first links is <http://git.or.cz/course/svn.html> for me.

One of the first things visible there is a box saying this:
If you are just after tracking someone else's project, this get you started quickly:

git clone url svn checkout url
git pull svn update
Now, we do realize that understanding what pull, fetch etc. all do is a more complicated than SVN. However, you wrote
Red_Breast wrote:Last weekend I managed to set it all up by cloning the repository and for the last hour I've been trying to work out how to update. I think it's either fetch or pull but I can't work out the difference (how on earth do you guys for whom English is not your mother-tongue manage?)
The point is, you don't need to understand the difference if you just want to figure out what to use instead of "svn update" -- just follow one of the tutorials out there :).

If you want to understand what they are doing, well, then it is definitely not language barriers that are the problem. The names "fetch" and "pull" could in principle be exchanged, or replaced by something else. Don't look at the word, look at the descriptions of the commands. The git reference manual, and tutorials, explain this in varying degrees of details. You'll have to invest some time, I guess -- but once more, only if you really want to understand what's going on, e.g. if you are planning to use git for more than just following the source change :).

The key difference to understand here is with SVN, you locally only have a "checkout", a working copy, but not the repository itself. With git, you actually have a full copy of the complete repository, with all the history in there. *And* in addition, you have a checkout/working copy of the source code, but it is based on *your* copy of the repository.

If you do "git fetch", then this simply downloadds the new history since you last did a fetch; but it does not yet apply the new history to your working copy.

If you do "git pull", then this is roughly "git fetch", followed by a command that ensures that your working copy is updated to the latest version of the code, too.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

LordHoto wrote:The tools are hosted on github too. Since scummvm-misc and residual are no projects directly related to ScummVM (i.e. not part of ScummVM) it is up to them to decide whether they will continue to use SVN or switch to git. Anyway they probably will not be hosted as part of the ScummVM organization on github.
One of the nice things I've found about Github is the Network tab, which allows you to see all the active branches from a given project. So it will be easier to track everyone who's working on ScummVM engines, so long as they host their engine on Github, using a forked copy of ScummVM.

I've already created a fork of the project with different branches for the different engines previously in the Scummvm-misc repository. Certainly it will make things easier to merge back into ScummVM later, and still maintain all the relevant commit history.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

You've explained a few things very clearly to me fingolfin. Thanks. Especially the fetch and pull difference.
Back to my first post I didn't want to be told that there are plenty of tutorials and documentation online with links. I found what was happening with me is the more I was reading the less I was understanding. My post was simply to find out how others used to SVN are finding it.
Anyway all sorted now.