The Feeble Files

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

john_doe
ScummVM Developer

Post by john_doe »

noize wrote:I tried the new encoder yesterday, and it saves about 340 MB for the 4CD release over the original dxa encoding scheme.
This is great! And with being 130 MB smaller than the original .smk files, the new encoder beats the commercial smk compression ratio.
The only downside is that, it took more then 12 hours an a P4 Dual Core 2,8 GHz to encode it all.
Nice to hear that :)

It's so slow because it compresses each frame three times to see which method is the smallest, which it then uses.
whatever

Post by whatever »

do the new dxa encoded files work with 0.9.0?
if not - is it certain that the new dxa compressed files will remain usable in final 0.10.0? i don't want to waste a whole day of encoding to save ~300mb if i have to repeat everything in a few months...
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

whatever wrote:do the new dxa encoded files work with 0.9.0?
No, the improved DXA compression was added after ScummVM 0.9.0.
whatever wrote:if not - is it certain that the new dxa compressed files will remain usable in final 0.10.0? i don't want to waste a whole day of encoding to save ~300mb if i have to repeat everything in a few months...
Yes, the improved DXA compression will be included in future ScummVM releases.
whatever

Post by whatever »

thx,

encoding is done now and it seems to work fine with svn
FeebleFiles1

Post by FeebleFiles1 »

@all developers Can i send you screenshots of the feeble files? i could make 10 good ones, if yes, to who should i sent it?
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

FeebleFiles1 wrote:@all developers Can i send you screenshots of the feeble files? i could make 10 good ones, if yes, to who should i sent it?
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Screenshots
FeebleFiles1

Post by FeebleFiles1 »

* If you have write access to the web module in the SVN repository, you can commit it directly. NOTE: Don't forget to add the binary format key (-kb)
* Alternatively, you can submit it via our patch tracker
* If you didn't perform some actions with screenshot file, for example you didn't pngcrush it or are unable to produce thumbnails, please mark your submission accordingly
to point one:

how to get access to the webmodule of SVN

to point two.

what is patchtracker?

what do you mean with point 3?
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

FeebleFiles1 wrote:
* If you have write access to the web module in the SVN repository, you can commit it directly. NOTE: Don't forget to add the binary format key (-kb)
* Alternatively, you can submit it via our patch tracker
* If you didn't perform some actions with screenshot file, for example you didn't pngcrush it or are unable to produce thumbnails, please mark your submission accordingly
to point one:

how to get access to the webmodule of SVN
ask sev nicely ;-)
to point two.

what is patchtracker?
ScummVM patch tracker: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=41 ... unc=browse
what do you mean with point 3?
If you send the screenshot unaltered (no optimizations or any alterations done)
and/or are unable to provide thumbnails (little picture of the big picture ;-))
then you should add a note to the submitted screenshot that you haven't done so
Rueda

Post by Rueda »

Hello,

After aprox. 24 hour to transform bmk to dxa (with batch file to make it)game don't work.

Error:

Version: Spanish (Erbe), packaged with Gabriel Knight 3 and King's Quest VII.

Thanks.

PD: Yes, are in folder
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

Rueda wrote:Error:

Version: Spanish (Erbe), packaged with Gabriel Knight 3 and King's Quest VII.
Use a recent snapshot of ScummVM SVN, the details for the Spanish version of the Feeble Files was added after ScummVM 0.9.0.
deadagain

Post by deadagain »

1. I'm using this simple script (as posted here in various forms) to convert the movies.

for %%i in (*.smk) do binkconv.exe %%i %%~ni.png /n-1 /z1 /#
for %%i in (*.smk) do binkconv.exe %%i %%~ni.wav /v /#
for %%i in (*.smk) do encode_dxa.exe --flac --best -b 1152 %%~ni

How about including this and the one for linux in the readme? It would probably make it easier for people trying to batch-convert...

2. Is there any way to set the priority for encode.dxa.exe from the commandline?? I'd erally like to have it run in the background (idle mode).
john_doe
ScummVM Developer

Post by john_doe »

deadagain wrote:2. Is there any way to set the priority for encode.dxa.exe from the commandline?? I'd erally like to have it run in the background (idle mode).
If you have WinXP (don't know if it works with earlier versions) you can start encode_dxa with the start command and a parameter to set the process priority.
E.g. "start /w /low encode_dxa.exe (...)" would start it with the lowest priority.
deadagain

Post by deadagain »

Thanks, start command did the trick...
JKing

Post by JKing »

deadagain wrote:How about including this and the one for linux in the readme? It would probably make it easier for people trying to batch-convert...
Probably with a warning that it may or may not work... I wrote a rather handy Windows batch file myself. It keeps track of missing files, but of course the weakness here is that I'm not sure whether I have them all. I counted 234 not including the "Insert disc" videos that I assume are never used in ScummVM.

There batch file is here if it's of any interest:
http://jking.dark-phantasy.com/projects ... onvert.zip
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

JKing wrote:
deadagain wrote:How about including this and the one for linux in the readme? It would probably make it easier for people trying to batch-convert...
Probably with a warning that it may or may not work... I wrote a rather handy Windows batch file myself. It keeps track of missing files, but of course the weakness here is that I'm not sure whether I have them all. I counted 234 not including the "Insert disc" videos that I assume are never used in ScummVM.
225 (not including the Diskx.dxa) with the 2-CD version...