Discworld

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Eugene, I'm sorry, but I DO play the ScummVMcompatible games I own all the time and I never ever came across a bug in them, besides, it's not like I'm going to complain if Discworld crashes when I'm using an unofficial build anyway:) I'm just so excited to be able to play this again with scalers and without DOSBox that you are just going to excuse me.
meist3r

Post by meist3r »

OMG OMG OMG just compiled the svn build to 0.13.0 and it works ... I love you guys. It really works. Voices, animations, subtitles and all. I'll be hasting through this game now just to see if it's broken in some place but I don't think so. What a long time I've been waiting to play this.

Fantastic work, looking forward to Discworld 2 :P (I hope that will be resolved eventually too). Keep up the fantastic work and sorry, I'll go play Discworld now, I don't own any of the other untested games.

I <3 ScummVM

Edit: OK the settings are not persistent when you close the game so you have to reactivate/tweak them every time you start it again but I think you guys will fix that in the final version. The double click sensitivity and subtitles option as well as the Mouse button swap is not saved. But that is not a blocker anyhow.

Edit2: After a couple of hours of playing there seems a lot to be in need of some tweaking still. I wouldn't really advise trying to play the game right now, But we all knew that anyhow =)
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

meist3r wrote:Edit2: After a couple of hours of playing there seems a lot to be in need of some tweaking still. I wouldn't really advise trying to play the game right now, But we all knew that anyhow =)
Actually, I wasn't aware of that. Could you elaborate? There is a list of known issues (most to be found in the original, too, sadly): <http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Tinsel/TODO>. If you see others, we are certainly interested in hearing about them.

About the settings not being saved: Good point, forgot to enable that, should be fixed soon.
meist3r

Post by meist3r »

Ok now I'm thoroughly confused. I just PMed DrMcCoy about this yesterday and he told me that I should wait until the game is supported. I can see his point and I'd be happy to wait until I can enter Tinsel bugs in the tracker.

Should I PM you what I found then anyway? I've got a game breaking inventory bug that is not on the TODO list yet.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

meist3r wrote:Ok now I'm thoroughly confused. I just PMed DrMcCoy about this yesterday and he told me that I should wait until the game is supported. I can see his point and I'd be happy to wait until I can enter Tinsel bugs in the tracker.

Should I PM you what I found then anyway? I've got a game breaking inventory bug that is not on the TODO list yet.
Game breaking inventory bug? Strange, about 3-4 different people are known to have finished the game many times, and none have encountered such a bug. Could you be more specific?
meist3r

Post by meist3r »

md5 wrote:Game breaking inventory bug? Strange, about 3-4 different people are known to have finished the game many times, and none have encountered such a bug. Could you be more specific?
I isolated the buggy behavior. I can avoid it so the game is (probably) completable but it's a bug nonetheless. When I open any inventory (Rincewind or luggage) and simply use or resize it everything works. But when I click and hold the title box of the inventory and drag the window across the screen and then close it; the next time I open any inventory (and every time after that) a single click will immediately close it. I can't put things in, can't get items out because it closes immediately. This breaks the game from then on because you can't use the inventory screens.

You can work around this by only resizing the inventory in the place it is without moving it or by not touching the size of the inventory at all but that's not really how this should work, is it? I would assume that the position of the inventory box is not updated properly and so every click is "outside" the inventory so it closes.

Edit: Just tried the latest build from today and it happens here too. Only when I move the inventory windows across the screen.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

meist3r wrote:the next time I open any inventory (and every time after that) a single click will immediately close it. I can't put things in, can't get items out because it closes immediately.
Okay, that should be fixed now in the SVN repository.
ddkram

Post by ddkram »

just got the new SVN and the problem is gone. thanks guys. also if anyone wants me to upload the latest SVN (like i did last time) just ask and i will.
Ohvee

Post by Ohvee »

The inventory bug was the only thing that I encountered so far. This kept me from giving the Librarian the banana, so I didn't really get that far anyway.
If you could post the newest SVN that would be great. I don't have anything to compile it with currently.
ddkram

Post by ddkram »

ok here is the latest SVN. Built with Visual Studio 2008. This time i also packed included themes and the sdl.dll so its only the EXE and it can run without any external files.
(these files are all the same i just mirrored them so if anyone has trouble they can use a different one)

http://www.mediafire.com/?oex9ohdx1x0

http://www.filefactory.com/file/f08a15/ ... ddkram_rar

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RZM4SAN1

http://rapidshare.com/files/132401540/s ... ddkram.rar
meist3r

Post by meist3r »

I just compiled the latest trunk build and the inventory bug is gone. Well done. Thanks, I'll be playing on then :D
heruan

Post by heruan »

Which files should I use from the Discworld CD-ROM? Scummvm 0.13 does not recognize the game in the directory where I copied all the CD contents...
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

heruan wrote:Which files should I use from the Discworld CD-ROM? Scummvm 0.13 does not recognize the game in the directory where I copied all the CD contents...
I'm not sure exactly which are needed, but this is what I have:
  • english.idx (an index into english.smp)
  • english.smp (sound effects and speech, I think)
  • english.txt (English subtitles and other text, I believe)
  • index (an index of all the data files?)
  • midi.dat (all the music)
  • sample.bnk (not used yet, but I'm hoping it contains Adlib instruments)
  • 149 .scn files. In earlier versions, I believe they were named .gra, and I think there were fewer of them.
The files ScummVM are looking for when detecting the game are dw.gra, dw.scn and english.smp. (Though not all of them for the same version of the game.)
heruan

Post by heruan »

I have the Italian version of Discworld, and no *.smp files nor *.scn, only .gra. Hence the game is not recognized :(
arkhan69

Post by arkhan69 »

heruan wrote:I have the Italian version of Discworld, and no *.smp files nor *.scn, only .gra. Hence the game is not recognized :(
Strange...
I have a european version with french, german, itlian and spanish languages and these files exist. At first, the game couldn't be loaded because apparently it checks if the file "english.txt" exists. I just had to rename the french.txt into english.txt and it went well.