The Feeble Files

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Roarke wrote:I assume that the 4 "disk*" videos aren't needed, correct?
Probably not. At least in the 2 CD version, they're just to tell you to insert the next CD. I didn't bother to remove them myself, as they're quite small.
Vhati

Post by Vhati »

I've got the 2-CD English Mac version and just finished the game with only a couple glitches.

In the end though it can't find whowhat.dxa, which isn't included in that version.
Could someone tell me what it is?
It's supposed to play right after Feeble enters his name at the terminal.

Files Raziel has but I don't...
Charisma
Nextdoor
Omnitoy
Qtime
whowhat

My extra file...
epic.dxa (a pre-game logo)
Last edited by Vhati on Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vhati

Post by Vhati »

Also, for those who don't want to reencode, getting the data files from the Mac version was painless (they're already dxa).

It might be a good idea to let people know nothing currently can extract a Mac Installer VISE setup the way icomp5/6 can with Installshield.

People who buy the Mac version need a Mac to install it and and send the files to a PC over a network. This applies to all Mac games packaged like this.

Linux has Orange of the SynCE package that might do it in the distant future.
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

Vhati wrote:In the end though it can't find whowhat.dxa, which isn't included in that version.
Could someone tell me what it is?
It's supposed to play right after Feeble enters his name at the terminal.
Explains what happened to the characters after the game, I'm really surprised they removed this video. I didn't notice the video had been removed too, only that the OmniTV videos had been removed in the Amiga and Macintosh versions.
Vhati wrote: Files Raziel has but I don't...
Charisma
Nextdoor
Omnitoy
Qtime
Are the videos played on the OmniTV, when in the prison on Cygnus Alpha.
Vhati wrote:Also, for those who don't want to reencode, getting the data files from the Mac version was painless (they're already dxa).
The Amiga and Macintosh versions both used the DXA format for videos. But I wouldn't recommend them, since they have several disadvantages.

Macintosh version:
Lower sound quality
Missing OmnnTV videos.
Missing epilogue video.

Amiga version:
Lower sound quality
Lower resolution of videos.
Missing OmniTV videos.
Missing epilogue video.

The best version of the Feeble Files is the 4CD verisons for Windows, if you can still find it.
Vhati

Post by Vhati »

Kirben wrote:I'm really surprised they removed this video.
Would it be possile to switch to a stand-in text epilogue in the event that file is missing, for the benfit of suckers like myself?

That'd still allow for frankenstein versions.
JoeKing

Post by JoeKing »

double post, sorry.
Last edited by JoeKing on Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
JoeKing

Post by JoeKing »

JoeKing wrote:
Vhati wrote:
Would it be possile to switch to a stand-in text epilogue in the event that file is missing, for the benfit of suckers like myself?

Hello.
Here is the german text: (Eventually spoiler)
Freiheitskämpfer Genosse Floyd übernahm nach dem Tod des Schöpfers den Konzern und reformierte diesen zu irgendetwas, was an ein demokratisches System erinnert. Die Idee dazu hatte er aus irgendeinem Erdfilm. Er wurde der erste frei gewählte Kanzler der Volksrepublik Omni. Seine Mutter ist jetzt sehr stolz auf ihn.

Freiheitskämpferin Genossin Dolores erholte sich von den Folterqualen der Vollstrecker. Da sie sich jetzt irgendwie überflüssig vorkam, ließ sie sich vom zuständigen Omni-Amt umschulen. Sie verkauft jetzt Unterwäsche in einem Volkseigenen OmniBetrieb.

SAM, Roboter der Serie 13, konnte repariert werden. Leider hatte seine Personality-Karte einen irreparablen Schaden erlitten, sodaß seine frühere Persönlichkeit nicht wieder vollständig hergestellt werden konnte. Er gibt jetzt Ballettunterricht auf einem ferngesteuerten Planeten in Sektor 9.

Bürger Clemens und Bürgerin Elke haben sich wieder versöhnt und dann schnell geheiratet. Sie verbrachten danach fünf glückliche Jahre mit der Aufzucht von glücklichen Kühen, bis ein verirrter Tornado ihre Kommune zerstörte. Elkes üble Schwester Anja wurde später aus dem Knast entlassen und stänkerte ständig herum. Außerdem brach sich Clemens zwei Finger bei einem illegalen Wettpopeln mit seinem Nachbarn.
Beide sind irgendwann aufgewacht und mußten feststellen, daß alles nur ein Traum war.
I tried to translate into english but beware... :roll:
Freedom fighter comrade Feeble took over the company after the dead of the creator and reformed it to something like a democratic system. He got the idea about that from an earth movie and became the first free elected chancellor of People's Republic Omni. His mother is now very proud of him.

Freedom fighter comrade Dolores recovered from the torture of the executors. Because she feeled needless, she let herself re-educate by the responsible Omni department. She now sells underwear in an Nationally-owned OmniEnterprise.

SAM, robot of series 13, was fixable. Unfortunately his personality-card was damaged irreparable, so his former personality could not be re-established completely. He now gives ballet exercises on a remote-controlled planet in sector 9.

Citizen Clemens and citizen Elke have reconciled and married quickly afterwards. After that they spent five happy years breeding happy cows until a strayed tornado destroyed her commune. Later Elke's evil sister Anja was released from prison and kept messing around. Furthermore Clemens broke two fingers at an illegal pick-one's-nose-contest with his neighbor.
Both woke up eventually and had to realize, that everything was just a dream.
Joe
SimSaw

subtitles

Post by SimSaw »

I've noticed that the subtitles (when activated by T) in German 4 CD version are in English. I wondered if this is a bug somehow (maybe English and German text in this version), but I noticed when installing the game on my Windows ME notebook that I wasn't able to activate the subtitles. Now my question: Was that for the English version, too, or was it possible to activate subtitles in original English game and the German localisation team was just too lazy to translate the subtitles and therefore removed the possibility of showing subtitles?

I also saw that the subtitles of the German version are not running correctly: For a long speech segment with several text segments for it to be shown, only the first one is actually displayed and for some special things no text at all is displayed (for example sentences from Omnibrain). Is this normal or are there any plans for advanced text display?

Maybe Kirben can throw up some light upon these things.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: subtitles

Post by sev »

SimSaw wrote:I've noticed that the subtitles (when activated by T) in German 4 CD version are in English. ... For a long speech segment with several text segments for it to be shown, only the first one is actually displayed and for some special things no text at all is displayed (for example sentences from Omnibrain). Is this normal or are there any plans for advanced text display?
Yes, this is normal. In original game subtitles were not entitled to be displayed, but served as a hint to find full phrase in the script by the voice actors/translators. Hence many subs are consisted of only phrase beginnings.

Eugene
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

Vhati wrote:

We will provide a cutscene pack, with just these missing cutscenes in the future.

If you use the original Macintosh version of the Feeble Files, does it attempt to play this video?

You can use the saved game from ScummVM. in the original game too. You will just need to unpack (They are gzip compressed) and rename the filenames of the saved games.

When I tried the original Amiga verison of the Feeble Files, it still attempts to play this video.
Vhati

Post by Vhati »

Kirben wrote:We will provide a cutscene pack, with just these missing cutscenes in the future.
:D :D :D :D :D
Kirben wrote:If you use the original Macintosh version of the Feeble Files, does it attempt to play this video?
Dunno. I'm a Windows/Knoppix guy. I'll have access to a coworker's Mac on Friday.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

You can use the saved game from ScummVM. in the original game too. You will just need to unpack (They are gzip compressed) and rename the filenames of the saved games.
That's good to know - it means I can do the reverse to convert a post arcade savegame for use in ScummVM. I was never able to legitimately complete the arcade puzzles.
FeebleFiles1

Post by FeebleFiles1 »

The new compression is great, The File is really smaller then the original smacker ones. That is great, you have develped an better codec then smacker, and that opensource, really great work
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

FeebleFiles1 wrote:The new compression is great, The File is really smaller then the original smacker ones. That is great, you have develped an better codec then smacker, and that opensource, really great work
I wouldn't go that far. The total size of the DXA cutscenes for the games I've tried were larger (particularly for Broken Sword 1, as I recall it) than the original Smacker ones. But the new compression is a dramatic improvement.
john_doe
ScummVM Developer

Post by john_doe »

Iirc the cutscenes from Broken Sword are double-height, i.e. only half the image height is used and upscaled by the player. The new DXA codec works only with full frames so that's why the resulting size is bigger.