Pre-AGI games (TrollVM) support for ScummVM

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

timofonic

Post by timofonic »

clone2727 wrote:
The Madventurer wrote:I was confused because clone said...
clone2727 wrote:]Geez. This is not a secret. This is all accessible to the public
I was think he was insinuating about some ultra-secret WIP work, like CABAL 8)
I was referring to -devel
OK. I hope curtcoder backs and continues with this :)
timofonic

Post by timofonic »

Any news about this? A few months and no news.

I hope to see someday the "troll" (or whatever) directory in ScummVM SVN :)
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

I'm *sure* something is happening
Pseudo_Intellectual

Post by Pseudo_Intellectual »

The Gelfling Adventure and Dragon's Keep appear to have much in common with the other games supported through TrollVM; that latter appears to be the very template from which Winnie the Pooh in the Hundred Acre Woods was later re-skinned, as a description of the gameplay and interface is identical. Since the time and staff are good fits (Al Lowe's work 1982-84) it's not impossible that these are early offerings from the same codebase and that with the new inclusion of TrollVM, most of the work necessary to support them would have already been done.

Not really having any serious programmer skills under my belt, I have nothing to do with this suspicion but attempt to use this forum to bring them to the attention of someone who might be better able to evaluate my claim 8)

(Ah, now I see them mentioned in the wiki under "Future Engines" at the bottom of http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Engines ... I will leave this post in my path to prove that some bright bulb already had the idea, so someone searching the forum won't think they're covering untrod ground. Aren't you just glad I'm not someone else suggesting that SCUMMVM support Quake?)
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Pseudo_Intellectual wrote:The Gelfling Adventure and Dragon's Keep appear to have much in common with the other games supported through TrollVM; that latter appears to be the very template from which Winnie the Pooh in the Hundred Acre Woods was later re-skinned, as a description of the gameplay and interface is identical. Since the time and staff are good fits (Al Lowe's work 1982-84) it's not impossible that these are early offerings from the same codebase and that with the new inclusion of TrollVM, most of the work necessary to support them would have already been done.
I haven't looked at Dragon's Keep at all (TrollVM had almost no code for it :P), but I know that Gelfling Adventure is also very hardcoded like Mickey. But, all of these PreAGI games have some hardcoded parts and I suspect Dragon's Keep would be the same.
Mon1018
Spammer

Post by Mon1018 »

I would also love to see that TrollVM gets integrated into ScummVM.
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

:shock: It is... ever thought of reading the release notes?!
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Mon1018 wrote:I would also love to see that TrollVM gets integrated into ScummVM.
Hi Mon1018. It was alleged by some people that you are simply a clever bot, given that you only make semi-meaningful comments on various old threads, and have accounts on literally thousands of forums. Would you be so kind and refute that notion? Else we'll delete your account and all messages, as well as inform some of the other forum maintainers...
Pseudo_Intellectual

Post by Pseudo_Intellectual »

[quote="Pseudo_Intellectual"]Not really having any serious programmer skills under my belt, I have nothing to do with this suspicion but attempt to use this forum to bring them to the attention of someone who might be better able to evaluate my claim 8)[/quote]

In a similar vein, some casual reading has yielded the new trivia item that these games' graphics (at least, on the Apple 2) were handled by Penguin Software's "The Graphics Magician". I don't know if that will make them easier to work with; presumably this will already be known to someone who's gotten their arms bloody in its guts.