Is there a way to run/compile residual on ppc Mac G4?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Elowan

Post by Elowan »

oh, well.... are there some options for the game, that must be tweaked in residual options?

because my save-game loads.. but stands still in the land of the living... before saveing game, it worked... but slower than the chapter around the office....
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

Ahh, you shouldnt do configure && make after the config.h-fix, since configure creates a new config.h. That tweak is really meant to override that issue. (Just doing "make" fixes that)

This is however just a quick-fix, and not a proper solution though, but a proper one shouldn't be too hard either. (Either way it shouldn't affect your game, as your CPU is 32-bit anyways).

As for an icon, well, there IS a quick-fix for that too, albeit not THAT ultra-pretty. Just open the folder you compiled in, in Finder, and drag "residual" to the right side of your Dock, (the right side of the zebra-crossing), that will work as a launcher. Yes, I know it's on the wrong side of the dock, but its the quickest fix I can come up with.

For a pretty icon too:
Open the icons folder, and double click on the residual.icns file, the first one should already be selected, press CMD-C, then go to the residual-file in the directory above, select it, and press CMD-I, then select the icon in the upper left corner, and press CMD-V. You might have to readd it to the dock afterwards to get the effect.

I'm not quite sure that I know what you are asking about in the last post though, does saving work everywhere but in the Land of the Living? Can you load saves at all?

As for adding it to the download-page, A proper fix should be done for PPC, as well as the need for having a cross-compiler set up to do nightlies if that was to happen, since it's rather useless to spread outdated versions (and thus get bug reports for bugs that were fixed after the last version was put up). Right now, there isn't even a 10.5 version for Intel there. (The current one has an issue with 10.5 when built on 10.6, which IIRC is what is used to build the nightlies).
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

einarj wrote:As for an icon, well, there IS a quick-fix for that too, albeit not THAT ultra-pretty.
There is actually a "pretty" way of doing all that, and it's built-in. After make, run make bundle and you'll have a nice and proper app bundle you can stick into your applications folder just like any other Mac program.
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

Elowan wrote:oh, well.... are there some options for the game, that must be tweaked in residual options?

because my save-game loads.. but stands still in the land of the living... before saveing game, it worked... but slower than the chapter around the office....
Some game options can be tweaked from the ResidualVM GUI, but not all. For some, like fullscreen, you have to edit the config file.

As for the problem you are having loading/saving...is the saved game you are trying to load saved by an earlier build of ResidualVM? If not, but if you have used an earlier version of ResidualVM, you may need to trash your ResidualVM Preferences file and rerun the GUI so that a new one is created. You'll have to redo your config but I had the same problem you are describing when saving/loading was first made to work and that was the solution for me.
Elowan

Post by Elowan »

hi and thanks again for all the usefull feedback and supporting me on my task :)

ok, the icon issue is solved, did it the copy&paste way.

"make bundle" didn┬┤t work, got a big list of errors.

and yes, i got problems when loading a save game :(
(the issue in the land of living was, that the game was nearly unplayable coppy in this part of the game, but runs perfect before and after this "land of living act")

ResidualVM says, loading a savegame from launcher is not supported (anyway, i setup a path for savegames), so i load my savegame from the grim menu ingame.

so, it loads and crashes after a few seconds:

Code: Select all

Imuse::restoreState() started.
Imuse::restoreState() finished.
GrimEngine::savegameRestore() finished.
lua: (null)
Active Stack:
	`gettable' tag method at line 2346 [in file Scripts\_system.lua]
	function (Scripts\_options.lua:2937)
WARNING: L1_SetGamma, implement opcode, level: -2147483648!
Active Stack:
	function (Scripts\le.lua:207)
WARNING: Lua: call expression not a function!
Active Stack:
Active Stack:
Active Stack:
Active Stack:
Active Stack:
Active Stack:
Active Stack:
Active Stack:
Active Stack:
Active Stack:
Active Stack:
Active Stack:
Active Stack:
Active Stack:
Active Stack:
Active Stack:
ImSetParam() Unimplemented 0!
logout

[Prozess beendet]
hmm, maybe it┬┤s the case, because i played with some settings (hardware/software render) in residual, after saving a game?

Any ideas?!
Elowan

Post by Elowan »

As for the problem you are having loading/saving...is the saved game you are trying to load saved by an earlier build of ResidualVM? If not, but if you have used an earlier version of ResidualVM, you may need to trash your ResidualVM Preferences file and rerun the GUI so that a new one is created. You'll have to redo your config but I had the same problem you are describing when saving/loading was first made to work and that was the solution for me
no, it was a savegame from the residual-version, i just builded some hours before, so no, it was not a savegame from grimX or another earlier build of residual.

ah, oki i´ll try the "trash the prefs" (from grimX.wrapper/residual old version) aarg, where was that ".residual.rc§ (or something like that) stored again?

ahh, i remember : "ls -a" and "rm .residualrc" ? was it that, you meant?

no -didn┬┤t solve the crash when loading a game :(
Elowan

Post by Elowan »

deleting the prefs in "Library/Preferences/residual..." got no better result.

the savegame it loaded, sound plays and i can move... after about 3 seconds, residual closes (see code posted above)

and the grimdialog.html┬┤s are not readable - i mean the are only showing some typings like "Q:S'├ä++├ñ_├╝├Â?=?L├û" and so on ^^

my savegame path is set to "default" in residual.

other issues are, the voiced of manny sometimes is very silent (example when sitting on his computer in his office or sometimes talking to another char). maybe this is a king of "wrong surround fx" ??

i tested and made a new savegame... and now, it won┬┤t even load.. it keeps loading like forever, showing the osx-"beachball" and putting out some crippled voice and playing some sounds. After one minute, i force-quit residual.

WARNING: The node 0 was already allocated. puncher_punched.key!
Active Stack:
	function (Scripts\_options.lua:2894)
WARNING: L1_SetGamma, implement opcode, level: 0!
Killed
logout

[Prozess beendet]
giucam

Post by giucam »

The fact you say you hear low voices tells me you're not using the latest git revision. Since recently i fixed some problems with savegames too can you do a "git pull" in your residual directory and call make again?
If that error still happens after that please open a bug report on github.
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

Yeah, I have to agree with giucam. What Elowan is describing clearly belongs to a build from old code. Which is probably why make bundle doesn't work (which certainly worked for me earlier today, just as it has done for longer than I can recall). And it has to be why saving/loading doesn't work for him/her.
Elowan

Post by Elowan »

hi again,

"git pull" worked so far. after that i had to edit config.h again (removing some lines) and run "make". residual builded. but "make bundle" after building residual still dont work. in the end, it says:

ld: symbol(s) not found
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [residual-static] Error 1
i┬┤ll try later, if the load/save & sound issues are solved and will report back.
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

That's interesting, that you can't make a bundle. What's your exact setup? Meaning, MacPorts or Fink? If Fink, stable or unstable branch? Which version of Xcode? And, how have you configured your environment variables in your bash profile? Have you specified which gcc compiler to use? Knowing all that might help figure out what the problem is.
Elowan

Post by Elowan »

My xcode version is 3.1.4 and i guess gcc is latest version. Env. Variables i dont know, i did not setup some. I guess that config.h does take care of that? I am using macports, also clean install.

How can i specify and provide you more detailed informations?
What to type in terminal and poste here, so you can get the excact info you asked me about?

Thx for helping me find out

edit: gcc = powerpc-apple-darwin9-gcc-4.0.1
bash = bash-3.2$
Xcode = 3.1.4
macports= 1.9.2
Leopard 10.5.9 ppc

env. var. = ?
Elowan

Post by Elowan »

oki, the sound issues are gone... but resume a savegame...still fails :(

Active Stack:
	function (Scripts\_options.lua:2894)
WARNING: L1_SetGamma, implement opcode, level: -2147483648!
ImSetParam() Unimplemented 0!
logout

[Prozess beendet]
i deleted the prefs again and made a new savegame....

oh my.... what i am doing wrong here? i mean.... if i can┬┤t load a savegame properly.... :(
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

With Xcode 3.1.4 (which is, I think, the latest available version for PPC Macs) the default gcc compiler is version 4.0.1, although 4.2 is available for use. But I don't know whether your problem making a bundle is linked to the compiler version. The error you're getting doesn't mean anything to me. I'm not a coder. I just know enough to be trouble.

You can see your environment variables by entering nano .profile into the terminal. Nano is a simple text editor and .profile is the bash profile. If you view that file, all you should see is only what MacPorts set up for you when you installed it. I wouldn't touch those lines, but if you wanted to change the compiler you use to version 4.2, you would need to add the following lines:

export CC=/usr/bin/gcc-4.2
export CPP=/usr/bin/cpp-4.2
export CXX=/usr/bin/g++-4.2

And then save the changes. You'll see the available commands at the bottom of the screen. The ^ means the ctrl key. However, I'm not sure whether you'll really gain anything by this, although it won't hurt to try. As long as you don't commit any typos that you don't catch.

Other than that, I'm of limited use to you because I use Fink (unstable branch) instead of MacPorts, so the things I did to tweak my bash profile don't apply to you (other than specifying the 4.2 compiler). For all I know, maybe there's an issue making a bundle when you're using MacPorts.
Elowan

Post by Elowan »

oki, now my .profile looks like this:

export CC=/usr/bin/gcc-4.2
export CPP=/usr/bin/cpp-4.2
export CXX=/usr/bin/g++-4.2
# MacPorts Installer addition on 2011-05-11_at_20:34:38: adding an appropriate $
export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH
# Finished adapting your PATH environment variable for use with MacPorts.

# MacPorts Installer addition on 2011-05-11_at_20:34:38: adding an appropriate $
export MANPATH=/opt/local/share/man:$MANPATH
# Finished adapting your MANPATH environment variable for use with MacPorts.
but still "make bundle" doesn┬┤t work.

how do i update gcc fro 4.0.1 to 4.2? "update gcc" was my guess - but seems not to be right