no sound on Monkey Island

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

*.lec and *.lfl files? This is not the CD version, so it's not surprising that there is no CD audio heard
messyhead

Post by messyhead »

md5 wrote:*.lec and *.lfl files? This is not the CD version, so it's not surprising that there is no CD audio heard
I said:
messyhead wrote:...I had everything I needed for the floppy (Amiga) version.

I've got all the *.lec and *.lfl files, and the music.dat and sample.dat files so not sure why there's no sound.
I'm not referring to CD audio, as I had said I knew I needed the mp3 files for the CD audio.

I'm referring to the audio in the Amiga floppy version, hence the reason I posted the files that I had.

Does the permissions have to be set to execute on all the games files? As they're not at the moment, could that be the reason there is no audio?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

No, the reason is that the game scripts themselves ask for the CD audio to be played. In the Amiga version, there simply isn't any script that asks for these audio tracks to be played. The reason you don't hear any music in the Amiga version is that its music is in TFMX format, which is currently not supported by ScummVM - but it's part of a GSoC task, so it should hopefully be supported in the future
messyhead

Post by messyhead »

md5 wrote:No, the reason is that the game scripts themselves ask for the CD audio to be played. In the Amiga version, there simply isn't any script that asks for these audio tracks to be played. The reason you don't hear any music in the Amiga version is that its music is in TFMX format, which is currently not supported by ScummVM - but it's part of a GSoC task, so it should hopefully be supported in the future
Excellent, thanks for the info. I'll persevere with getting the DOS version working with the CD tracks, and just ditch the floppy version.

thanks
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

messyhead please, change your signature, I had to edit your post to remove it
messyhead

Post by messyhead »

md5 wrote:messyhead please, change your signature, I had to edit your post to remove it
Done, but didn't see anything in the rules about signatures - I did check beforehand.
messyhead

Post by messyhead »

I've managed to get mp3's for Monkey 1 from scummbar. Will these work ok if I put them in the same data folder as the game files and rename them track1.mp3, track2.mp3 etc?

The game files for the version I have are called MONKEY1.000 and MONKEY1.001 which I believe are the alternative CD version, but not sure how this differs from the original.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

messyhead wrote:I've managed to get mp3's for Monkey 1 from scummbar. Will these work ok if I put them in the same data folder as the game files and rename them track1.mp3, track2.mp3 etc?

The game files for the version I have are called MONKEY1.000 and MONKEY1.001 which I believe are the alternative CD version, but not sure how this differs from the original.
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=3860
DuffPaddy

Post by DuffPaddy »

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I just thought I'd add my findings for anyone else who may read this.

I followed the advice above (for which many thanks) and all worked OK, apart from the track numbering. I found that I had to number the track MP3 files starting at 'track2.mp3', not 'track1.mp3' as advised. With the 'track1' method, the wrong theme music played on starting up. Starting at 'track2', it seems to work OK: the main theme, SCUMM Bar, church music, etc. play exactly as expected.

For info, I'm running ScummVM 1.2.1 on Fedora 14 with the "White Label Double Pack" CD of Monkey Island 1 and 2. Track 1 is the data and tracks 2 to 25 are the music (for Monkey Island 1), with the theme music being track 16.
majormerak

Post by majormerak »

I'm sure I have missed something throughout this post, but I have the two files from the CD (Monkey.000 and Monkey.001) on my PC.

No program (iTunes, WMP, etc...) recognizes any song or track off of those two files. How can I rip the tracks off then?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

majormerak wrote:I'm sure I have missed something throughout this post, but I have the two files from the CD (Monkey.000 and Monkey.001) on my PC.

No program (iTunes, WMP, etc...) recognizes any song or track off of those two files. How can I rip the tracks off then?
I'm not sure I understand the question correctly, but those two files are the actual game (graphics, script, game logic, sound effects, etc.). I don't think the CD version has any of the original music from the floppy version, but there should be a bunch of audio tracks on the CD itself. Any player that can handle ordinary music CDs should be able to play those.

(I have heard rumors about releases of the game where these tracks were missing for whatever reason, but I've never seen one of those myself.)
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

As you typed WMP I assume you use Windows.
Trying to cover everything so that you can understand even if you've only just started using computers I'll ask if you know the difference between CD audio, typically what you get when you buy a music CD, and audio on a CD in data format?

Erik pointed out about versions of the CD with no CD audio but usually, and with all versions I've come across, the game came as a mixed mode CD. Very rare these days but quite common back then.

If you use Windows download a little program called CDex. Put the CD in the tray and point CDex to the optical drive. Once loaded you will see the data track and the audio tracks. I vaguely recall 24 audio tracks. CDex can rip them to mp3 for you to use in ScummVM but they have to be renamed. CDex will show at the top 'Data Track 01' followed by 'Audio Track 02' through to 25.
Audio Track 02 has to be renamed 'track 01' (without the quotes - you can also drop the zero to just 'track 1' I believe) and so on to track 24.
A batch renamer helps but if you've never used one before it can take just as long to understand the renaming software as it does to do the whole lot manually.

http://cdexos.sourceforge.net
majormerak

Post by majormerak »

When I did, only "Data Track 01" came up...
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Then it looks like you have one of the versions that Erik mentions without audio.
majormerak

Post by majormerak »

Well that sucks...