Grim Fandango Deluxe - Original Thread [Locked]

Discussions regarding the development of the mod "Grim Fandango Deluxe"

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ultraneonoirantihero

Post by ultraneonoirantihero »

P.S. As soon as you fix facial animations and make Glottis, I'm gonna make new GF HD Widescreen video :)
JohnnyWalker2001

Post by JohnnyWalker2001 »

giucam wrote:This is great! Great but not perfect though :). Manny has a grey line that passes below his right eye, making him look really tired ;). Can we get rid of that?
It's actually in the model. It's not his right eye, it's both of them. It would be good if we lost that, I think.

Edit: Or maybe it was softened? I don't know, but I do know that sometimes it makes Manny look "tired". I can live with it, though.
Last edited by nuphonic on Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JohnnyWalker2001

ultraneonoirantihero wrote:Then again, some people here want to see more "realistic" Manny: the one who's bones look like real bones. And for me that would ruin the artistic and visual feel of the game, they need to be like paper mache.
I agree with the sentiment completely. The look is important to keep the same. On thing, though: Manny IS made out of bone. (It's referenced many times in the game's script.) Either way, I think we need to stay close to the original look, and this model has done exactly that. I love it!
fischkopf

Post by fischkopf »

I'm excited, which model will you do next? :?
Blacksad

Post by Blacksad »

Next model is Glottis, i think.

But at first, a short video :D klick
JohnnyWalker2001

Posted :)
Blacksad

Post by Blacksad »

A first version of glottis is finished.

I will go into detail, the next days.
There are some problems, because of the round shape of the model. The intersecting lines are very ugly.

Image Image
fischkopf

Post by fischkopf »

Nice. :shock:

Big improvement, even better than your manny model i think.
Blacksad

Post by Blacksad »

Fischkopf wrote:Nice. :shock:

Big improvement, even better than your manny model i think.
Really? I think its the rendering. I used another render engine on this model. Because the standard renderer of blender already makes different images, i switched to the new one, which delivers much better results. ;D

Glottis now with 3D-Collar, and 3D-Pockets:

Image Image Image

The obj3do.exe doesn't work anymore on my machine. Have no idea whats going wrong. Can someone compile the model to test it ingame?

Glottis-model :: .obj :: .blend
VoodooFX

Post by VoodooFX »

These look amazing.

But what happens to 3D pockets and collar once you advance to year 2, when both Manny and Glottis change their outfits?

Or does the game utilize separate models for each year as well?
ultraneonoirantihero

Post by ultraneonoirantihero »

Glottis looks excellent :) Only textures remain. How much time does it take you to remodel these characters?

Does anyone know how to fix facial animations? What causes that glitching / flickering?
Blacksad

Post by Blacksad »

Difficult to say. After work, a few days, every day a few hours^^ Maybe something between 10 and 20. This time it took much less time then for the manny model.

The flickering appears when manny opens his mouth and the head switches to another model. I don't know how to get the new head models working. Ive packet two additional remodeled heads together with the new manny but the speaking animation used the original heads. Just replacing does not work, there must be some additional work to do. (Or maybe i replaced the wrong head-models :D)

VoodooFX wrote:Or does the game utilize separate models for each year as well?
Thats the way how it works. Even when the model has the same shape, it uses a new "copy" with different textures on it. :)

Yesterday i played a few hours and i recognized some strange things. Sometimes the game shows a tiny cut sequence. When manny climbs up the "tie-rope" for example. At this moment you can see a switch between the new and the old model. I wonder if we can reanimate this short sequence and use it as an overlay for the existing video file. (This would be a lot of work because there are a lot of this sequences, and its not so important at this time i think, but maybe we could keep it in mind)
Last edited by adiro69 on Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

I thought the reason for the flickering head was that the original textures contained multiple layers for the mouth movement and the current tools can't recreate them.
The different heads for the jaw movement seems to work just not the textures.

I think there are multiple models for each character when the costume changes as a new texture wouldn't work for Manny in the cloak or in the snow jacket.

But I could be wrong on both counts.

edit: there you go multiple models
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iByj4NIjf8E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-t9mrq2R3c
cplhenshaw

Post by cplhenshaw »

Blacksad wrote: The obj3do.exe doesn't work anymore on my machine. Have no idea whats going wrong. Can someone compile the model to test it ingame?
I couldn't compile the model either, and I'm not really sure why. The model is rotated upright from its original position (I guess from when you rendered the pictures) but that previously hasn't stopped it working, just made it weird in game. I'm guessing it's probably a bug somewhere in my code but not really sure why it appears for this model, and not any previous ones. I made a few simple edits to the original glottis and they all compiled as usual.

If you put up a version with the original rotation I'll try again, and if it still doesn't work I'll have to do a bit of digging to find out what exactly is going wrong.
Blacksad

Post by Blacksad »

Hm. Because you can't compile the model to, i think its a problem with the .blend.

This problem appeared the first time after i applied a rig to the manny model. (i have the same problem with manny btw^^). Maybe its the modifier. But i already tried, deleting all these modifiers and compiling it, but it didn't work.

I start a new try. Opening a new file and importing just the meshes of the new model. Maybe this will work. (Anyway, rigging is not important. Did it just for fun, to make a nice pose :D)

btw. Rotating is no problem. In Blender just check "-y as forward" in the export dialog and the .obj is rotated correctly. (already did this in the previous models)