Swedish translations of SCUMM games

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Sushi

Re: Swedish translations of SCUMM games

Post by Sushi »

Thanks @Tsomi! I tried to get the source code for some of these tools in the past to try and fix things myself. But it seems you did both already. And you have provided a much needed FAQ with information that is spread around on here and defunct sites like the lucas forums.
Definitely going to check out the bug fixes you did and see if they behave better now on some versions I abandoned.
despot82

Post by despot82 »

I am trying to translate, and I have used the procedure to export/import back the file, but when I start the game, the ctrl+T is no longer working, and the text is not displayed at all. I also tried using the ASCII lossless when I export, but with same result what am I missing here? I do these commands:

for export:
../scummtr -o -g monkey2 -p ./

for import back the changed file:
../scummtr -i -g monkey2 -p ./
Sushi

Post by Sushi »

Some things you can try to narrow down the issue

1) Export and reimport the same file (i.e. no translation) to rule out the issue is with the flow itself.
2) Same as 1), but change one letter in the translation. Perhaps your text editor changed the line returns. (Although I would expect scummtr to throw an error in that case)
3) as a workaround you could try to set the text only/speech only/both option from scummvm’s options for the game instead of toggling it in-game with CTRL-T (I had to look up what that hotkey does)
Tsomi

Post by Tsomi »

Hi,

I'm the current maintainer of scummtr. It's better to report your issues on the Issues (or Discussion) page of the project at https://github.com/dwatteau/scummtr; what's put in the various forums may remain unseen.

Having a bit more context would help indentifying your issue more precisely :)
  • On which system are you running scummtr? Windows?
  • Which precise game edition are you targeting? Is it the DOS release of Monkey Island 2? The Ultimate Talkie edition? The Macintosh release? The Amiga release?
  • Which text editor are you using for working on your translation file?
If you look at the manual page for scummtr, you will see an explanation of what each option does, and some exemples:

Code: Select all

Extract the text of the original Monkey Island 2 game to a Windows-1252
     file, with added context and protected resource names:

$ scummtr -g monkey2 -cwh -A aov -p /path/to/MI2 -of mi2_orig.txt

Import a new French translation into the game files:

$ scummtr -g monkey2 -cwh -A aov -p /path/to/MI2 -if mi2_fr.txt
So If you want to translate a LucasArts SCUMM game to a West-European language, I'd suggest using the full list of flags above (i.e: add -c, -w, -h, and -A aov). Whenever you add a flag at the export phase, you need to add it at the import phase as well.

If you did an invalid import at some point, it's better to start again from scratch (do regular backups while working on your translations, really do!). By "from scratch", I mean: from the original, unmodified game resources. Just do an a new export/import with the options above. As long as you stick to West-European characters, and use a reasonable editor (such as Notepad++ on Windows) it should be fine.
Perhaps your text editor changed the line returns. (Although I would expect scummtr to throw an error in that case)

@Sushi: No, unfortunately... If the text editor changes your line returns behind your back (or if the -w flag is misused or forgotten when necessary), or if the text editor trims whitespace, or does some funny things with the encoding, scummtr will just try to use the invalid input, as-is, sometimes even corrupting the game in some way. That's how it behaved back in 2003, and so some fan-made translations (such as the Italian and German fan-made translations of Zak FM-TOWNS, if my memory serves me right) are buggy because of that (i.e. the -w flag used for export but not for import).

Making scummtr a bit friendlier and safer was one of my goals, when I got its sources in 2020/2021. But now time has passed, and I don't have as much time and motivation for such a long task. For LucasArts/Humongous games (for Monkey1-CD/Monkey2 and later LucasArts titles), I'd suggest exploring NUTCracker. It's much more maintained, and its architecture is much cleaner. It may need a nice tutorial being written for it online, though.