Discworld

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Darothane

Post by Darothane »

okay, time for my next problem :(

Code: Select all

User picked target 'dw' (gameid 'tinsel')...
  Looking for a plugin supporting this gameid... Tinsel Engine
  Starting 'Tinsel engine game'
Can't subscribe to MIDI port (65:0) or (17:0)!
discworld just closes when i start it with this message in console :(
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Darothane wrote: Can't subscribe to MIDI port (65:0) or (17:0)!
MIDI configuration - at least for Linux - is one of those things that are still not very user friendly in ScummVM. There is some work in progress which I believe is meant to fix that, but the last time I checked it still wasn't fully implemented.

ALSA has some concept of "MIDI ports", which I don't really understand myself. By default, it tries to use 65:0 (which was a sensible default for hardware MIDI long ago) and 17:0 (which is a sensible default for hardware MIDI today). But if your sound card doesn't have hardware MIDI support, that probably doesn't work very well. Here's what I see if I type "aconnect -o" in a console window:

client 14: 'Midi Through' [type=kernel]
    0 'Midi Through Port-0'
client 16: 'SB Live! Value [CT4832]' [type=kernel]
    0 'EMU10K1 MPU-401 (UART)'
client 17: 'Emu10k1 WaveTable' [type=kernel]
    0 'Emu10k1 Port 0  '
    1 'Emu10k1 Port 1  '
    2 'Emu10k1 Port 2  '
    3 'Emu10k1 Port 3  '
client 128: 'TiMidity' [type=user]
    0 'TiMidity port 0 '
    1 'TiMidity port 1 '
    2 'TiMidity port 2 '
    3 'TiMidity port 3 '
I don't know what 14:0 and 16:0 are used for, but 17:0 (or, I guess, 17:1, 17:2 and 17:3) use the build-in MIDI synth on my sound card. In my case, I also must have loaded a sound font file with the "asfxload" command. But I can also use 128:0 (or, I guess, 128:1, 128:2 and 128:3) to play the MIDI through TiMidity++. On Debian, this is set up by the timidity-daemon package, I believe.

You can tell ScummVM which port to use, either with the SCUMMVM_PORT environment variable, or by adding a line like "alsa_port=128:0" to the [scummvm] section of the ~/.scummvmrc file.

Another option is to not use ALSA for MIDI at all. ScummVM can use TiMidity++ as a server directly, but for some reason I've never been able to get that to work anywhere even close to acceptably. It can also be compiled with the FluidSynth library, and use that to emulate MIDI.

I should also mention that there are a few games that support both MIDI and AdLib music, where the AdLib music actually sounds better to me.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

eriktorbjorn wrote:

client 14: 'Midi Through' [type=kernel]
    0 'Midi Through Port-0'
client 16: 'SB Live! Value [CT4832]' [type=kernel]
    0 'EMU10K1 MPU-401 (UART)'
client 17: 'Emu10k1 WaveTable' [type=kernel]
    0 'Emu10k1 Port 0  '
    1 'Emu10k1 Port 1  '
    2 'Emu10k1 Port 2  '
    3 'Emu10k1 Port 3  '
client 128: 'TiMidity' [type=user]
    0 'TiMidity port 0 '
    1 'TiMidity port 1 '
    2 'TiMidity port 2 '
    3 'TiMidity port 3 '
I don't know what 14:0 and 16:0 are used for.
16:0 should be the MIDI port on your soundcard, which can be used to connect an external synthesizer. Depending on your soundcard that one might be integrated into the "Gameport" and thus you would need some special MIDI cable for that.
Cthonic

Post by Cthonic »

Sorry if this is a huge bump, but I'm having problems with Discworld 2, I have all the files in the correct place, renamed and all, and ScummVM still doesn't recognise the game.

Any help?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Cthonic wrote:I'm having problems with Discworld 2, I have all the files in the correct place, renamed and all, and ScummVM still doesn't recognise the game.
Just to rule out the simplest possible explanation, which version of ScummVM are you using? The Discworld games weren't supported until ScummVM 1.0.0rc1.
Cthonic

Post by Cthonic »

eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Cthonic wrote:1.1.148874.
Then I don't know. I have no problem with mine (the British DOS/Windows version, judging by the box) but maybe you have a different one?

The game detection is, as usual, fairly crude. As far as I can tell, it only looks for two or three files. They usually have to match a certain signature and size for them to be recognized, so if you're sure you have them all, and you're pointing ScummVM to the appropriate folder, you may want to check that none of them got truncated and/or damaged, e.g. by copying the files from the CDs again.
Cthonic

Post by Cthonic »

Mine has a white background with Rincewind and his chest with PC CD ROM in the bottom right corner.

Which version is this?
njw

Post by njw »

What's holding up the freewaring? I've been excitedly and patiently waiting for about the past two years, but haven't heard anything. I see the Tinsel wiki page hasn't been updated, but I was wondering what still has to happen for it to complete?

Also, is it both Discworld games that are to be freewared, or just the 1st?

I very very much hope they can be freewared, and under a DSFG friendly license, so they can be included happily in Linux distributions and such.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

njw wrote:What's holding up the freewaring?
An obscure legal situation.

I believe one of the devs mentioned that the rights appear to be in limbo.
Due to bankruptcy, corporate takeovers, incomplete contract clauses, deaths and untraceable individuals, it can become impossible to establish who to ask about the IP rights to something.
davidk64

Post by davidk64 »

Hello

We're playing the 4 part Discworld rip on Scumm by Kranmer and have got to near the end of Part 2 where you steal the custard book from Ogg while she puckers up for a kiss with her eyes closed. However we are not getting the mouse pointer focus to do this until the conversation completes.

Has anybody else experienced this and is there any way around it? We're using Vista.

Cheers

David
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

davidk64 wrote:We're playing the 4 part Discworld rip on Scumm by Kranmer
No support on this forum for people using illegal copies!
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

davidk64 wrote:Hello

We're playing the 4 part Discworld rip on Scumm by Kranmer and have got to near the end of Part 2 where you steal the custard book from Ogg while she puckers up for a kiss with her eyes closed. However we are not getting the mouse pointer focus to do this until the conversation completes.

Has anybody else experienced this and is there any way around it? We're using Vista.

Cheers

David
You should probably get rid of your other personalities, they seem to drive you to do illegal things, like downloading warez...
davidk64

Post by davidk64 »

In case anybody else runs into a similiar problem - I found a fix. We've been playing it in full-screen mode. Reducing to a window allowed us to get cursor focus to steal the custard book then saved and back to fullscreen mode.

Cheers

David
Tomaso

Post by Tomaso »

I'm playing Discworld right now (legal copy), and I ran into the problem with getting the custard book..
(ScummVM v1.5.0)

The fix described above didn't work for me, but after fiddling around for a while, with a bunch of different settings, I suddenly got it to work with my original settings:
* Graphics mode: 2x
* Aspect ratio correction: *checked*
* Fullscreen mode: *checked*
Go figure..

Safe to say there's a bug involved.
First-time players will be stuck playing their asses off! :)