Future wars protection!!!!!!

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

monster99f150
Got a warning

Future wars protection!!!!!!

Post by monster99f150 »

FOUND A BUG! the floppy version of future wars should have the copy protection REMOVED, because i just tried out scummVM on the CD version of Future wars, its detected as Future Wars (Sony CD version/DOS/English (US) and the game starts right up! No copy protection screen whatsoever. Isn't it the policy to disable copy protection in a game if the CD version had it disabled??? Cmon fix this.....The funny part is that the only difference between the floppy and CD version is one file...called AUTO00.PRC. if you copy this file into the directory of the floppy version of Future Wars and replace the file thats there already, and re ad the game, it will think its the CD version and run the game, with no protection. THere's no ill effects, scummVM doesn't play the audio cd tracks, just the same music that was in the original floppy version of the game. I suppose for now its a way of getting around the protection until someone fixes this error.
KuroShiro

Re: Future wars protection!!!!!!

Post by KuroShiro »

monster99f150 wrote:FOUND A BUG! the floppy version of future wars should have the copy protection REMOVED, because i just tried out scummVM on the CD version of Future wars, its detected as Future Wars (Sony CD version/DOS/English (US) and the game starts right up! No copy protection screen whatsoever. Isn't it the policy to disable copy protection in a game if the CD version had it disabled??? Cmon fix this.....The funny part is that the only difference between the floppy and CD version is one file...called AUTO00.PRC. if you copy this file into the directory of the floppy version of Future Wars and replace the file thats there already, and re ad the game, it will think its the CD version and run the game, with no protection. THere's no ill effects, scummVM doesn't play the audio cd tracks, just the same music that was in the original floppy version of the game. I suppose for now its a way of getting around the protection until someone fixes this error.
The floppy version never had it disabled so... no. Copy protection I believe is only disabled in ScummVM if it was at some point in that specific version, or if permission is given by the publishers (ala Simon the Sorcerer).
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

The protection screen is also disabled when a version of the game was officially released with a altered executable that skips the protection (low-cost releases, typically). In this case, it's not possible to tell at detection time if the game uses a protection screen or not as the game files are identical.

In the case of Future Wars, the protection screen is *NOT* a bug.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Strangerke wrote:In the case of Future Wars, the protection screen is *NOT* a bug.
...it's a feature! (I always wanted to say that :P )
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Re: Future wars protection!!!!!!

Post by tsoliman »

monster99f150 wrote:because i just tried out scummVM on the CD version of Future wars
Where did you get it? I have been looking for this for a while. It is very rare I think.
monster99f150
Got a warning

Post by monster99f150 »

Came across the CD while spring cleaning thru all my computer junk. Didn't even know I had it.
balpat

Post by balpat »

As far as I remember, the CD version doesn't add anything to the game, does it?
grim107

Post by grim107 »

balpat wrote:As far as I remember, the CD version doesn't add anything to the game, does it?
I believe that the CD version offered a complete soundtrack. However, I don't believe that the music can be played in ScummVm (as it's so rare, that no ScummVm programmers have copies of it.)