Multiplayer ScummVM idea

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

J1800

Multiplayer ScummVM idea

Post by J1800 »

My idea is to be online with a friend on SKYPE but play a synched up Scummvm, so we could argue/discuss what the puzzle solutions are, what choices to make and so on. Each of us could click on the screen, so we'd have to co-operate so the character doesn't run back and forth.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Re: Multiplayer ScummVM idea

Post by dreammaster »

J1800 wrote:My idea is to be online with a friend on SKYPE but play a synched up Scummvm, so we could argue/discuss what the puzzle solutions are, what choices to make and so on. Each of us could click on the screen, so we'd have to co-operate so the character doesn't run back and forth.
Sounds like fun. I don't use Skype much, but I know it does have screen share capabilities. I'm not sure if the remote viewer can operate the mouse or not, though.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

There is a "Let's play together" series on Youtube by Marlene55 (in German)

They played quite a few point & click adventures. One person actually plays the game, and the others join in and talk along. There are some occasions where you can see clicks on screen from the non-players. I don't know what software they used for that.
Collector

Post by Collector »

I like this idea.
Smothermunchie

Post by Smothermunchie »

There's always VNC Viewer or Rdesktop.

I doubt you would ever get more than 8 fps going that route though.
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

LogicDeLuxe wrote:There are some occasions where you can see clicks on screen from the non-players. I don't know what software they used for that.
It would be most helpful if you can point at a timestamp and a URL of a specific video where you see the on-screen click happening. I might recognize it as I use a variety of those desktop sharing programs at work and they each have their own arrow/ping/cursor icon.
Collector

Post by Collector »

Smothermunchie wrote:There's always VNC Viewer or Rdesktop.

I doubt you would ever get more than 8 fps going that route though.
What if all players had copies of the game data and just the IO commands and save games were shared, but processed locally?
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

Collector wrote: What if all players had copies of the game data and just the IO commands and save games were shared, but processed locally?
Take a game like indy4.
You'd have to have identical copies of the game for shared input to work.
Even then timing and randomness will interfere.

So let's say the output has to be shared as well. Someone would have to then modify the game scripts in every possible place to accept the output by waiting on the network result of stuff.
In the end even if you did all that, it wouldn't be scummvm work anymore, it would mostly be rewriting the game to allow this.

But then again I may have misunderstood what you meant.
Collector

Post by Collector »

No, you didn't. I was wondering if different versions would be an issue with this approach.
lazylazyjoe

Post by lazylazyjoe »

Have you tried sarien.net ?
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

tsoliman wrote:It would be most helpful if you can point at a timestamp and a URL of a specific video where you see the on-screen click happening.
Here you are: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdD-VVJeiWc&#t=3m28s
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

LogicDeLuxe wrote:
tsoliman wrote:It would be most helpful if you can point at a timestamp and a URL of a specific video where you see the on-screen click happening.
Here you are: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdD-VVJeiWc&#t=3m28s
That looks a lot like projectplace (or teamviewer)
Users that don't have "control" get this arrow when they click.

Of course I could be wrong. It could be something else that I don't know about.
J1800

Post by J1800 »

tsoliman wrote:
Collector wrote: What if all players had copies of the game data and just the IO commands and save games were shared, but processed locally?
Take a game like indy4.
You'd have to have identical copies of the game for shared input to work.
Even then timing and randomness will interfere.

So let's say the output has to be shared as well. Someone would have to then modify the game scripts in every possible place to accept the output by waiting on the network result of stuff.
In the end even if you did all that, it wouldn't be scummvm work anymore, it would mostly be rewriting the game to allow this.

But then again I may have misunderstood what you meant.
I was thinking of Indy4 aswell, I didn't know how complex it would be to design. It sounds harder then I guessed, but thanks a lot for discussing it.

But the idea of using skype screen-sharing and just chatting about choices, that might work too. I will try it out.
J1800

Post by J1800 »

lazylazyjoe wrote:Have you tried sarien.net ?
That looks incredible.