Thank you from a Linux user...

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

cuppsy

Thank you from a Linux user...

Post by cuppsy »

So I wasn't sure if this should go here or somewhere else, so my apologies upfront if this is out of place. I just wanted to extend a huge thank you to the people making ScummVM, and especially the people working on the daily builds.

I've been a long-time DOSBox user, but I hadn't spend much, or really any, time using ScummVM, since the former seemed to run most of my old games just fine.

I bought a copy of the original Myst game recently, and being a Linux user, spent much of the past week trying to rig it to work. QuickTime was hit-or-miss, and the game would sometimes just not boot, other times give me a black screen, and at best, freeze when starting a new game. I'd just about given up on playing one of my favorite games growing up, when I'd seen a mention online about new builds of ScummVM working with Myst.

So I loaded up a daily build, and to my shock, the game worked damn near perfectly out of the box. The videos played, the game ran smoothly, it was awesome. I'm still early in the game, but so far everything is running as it did when I was a little kid. And it's awesome.

Anyways, I just wanted to share this thank you... because I'd nearly given up on being able to run Myst on my laptop, and now I can waste away hours reliving my childhood. :) Thank you for all your hard work.