Lost Game Saves On Update!!

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Miz-Fortune

Lost Game Saves On Update!!

Post by Miz-Fortune »

Has anyone else updated to the latest SCUMMVM and lost their save games?? I just got 1.5.0 (Jul 21 2012) and all me game saves are gone!

I had saves for Curse Of Monkey Island, Sam & Max, Broken Sword 1 & 2, royally peeved about this, can anyone advise is there's any kind of recovery??
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

Windows?
Miz-Fortune

Post by Miz-Fortune »

Yeah Win7 32x, I was running SCUMMVM version 3 for ages, finally had to update now all my saves are gone!!
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

They're still there. The default save location directory has changed. I am not the right guy to give more details sorry.
I will try to see if I can get more info if no one else replies by then.
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

From the NEWS file:
Windows port:
- Changed default savegames location for Windows NT4/2000/XP/Vista/7.
(The migration batch file can be used to copy savegames from the old
default location, to the new default location).
Miz-Fortune

Post by Miz-Fortune »

Okie thankies :D Are they moved even if the target file is the same as the previous version?
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

If the global options or the specific target has a specific save location that's not just "default" then you're not affected.
Miz-Fortune

Post by Miz-Fortune »

Nope, no saves, every game is blank for save data. Could they be in program data?
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

mizfortune: If the migration script tool included with the v1.5.0 release (migration.bat) failed to work for you, then your savegames were likely in a nonstandard directory.

Use the "Search" tool of your operating system i.e. Start->Search->For Files or Folders on Win32 to search for files of the type "*.000" or "<shortname name of game>" i.e. "bass" for Beneath A Steel Sky or similar.

Once you have found where your old savegames are located, use a file management tool such as Explorer (Win32) to copy these to the new savegame location, which is noted along with other useful and relevant information in section 6.0 of the ScummVM README file...
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Ah... This may also be relevant from http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=11719 :

Sounds like you have UAC enabled in Windows 7, and the migration script is failing to find the saved game files.

Try this manual method:
Select 'Saved Games (old default)' from the Saved Games section of ScummVM on the Start Menu.
Select the 'Compatibility Files' option in Windows Explorer.
Highlight all your saved games files.
Right click and chose 'Copy'.
Select 'Saved Games (new default)' from the Saved Games section of ScummVM on the Start Menu.
Right click and chose 'Paste'.

That should hopefully work.
Miz-Fortune

Post by Miz-Fortune »

Okie, I tried the file search as suggested, and nuffin'. And it's weird as I didn't uninstall the previous version, as SCUMM usually just installs as an update.

Okie, seeing as the save location can be changed, does that mean I can say make a new folder, bleh, and save my games in that? Least I'd know where they'd be and even do a backup.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Of course... But let's see if we can find your older games as unless you did any manual deletion of folders, it is unlikely they are gone.

I'm sure you have read section 6.0 of the README? ;-)

This covers the default locations of savegames. These folders may be "hidden" and so not show up in a Windows Search (Don't blame us, blame the Win32 search tool ;-)

If you browse to these folders, you may find your savegames:
<snip>
Windows Vista/7:
\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\ScummVM\Saved games\

Windows 2000/XP:
\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\ScummVM\Saved games\
</snip>

Replace "username" in the above with your login username i.e. JoeBloggs and prefix with your system drive i.e. C:
Thus e.g.:
C:\Users\JoeBloggs\AppData\Roaming\ScummVM\Saved games\

Also ensure that Explorer->Tools->Folder Options->View->"Show hidden files and folders" is enabled.

The older savegame location may be in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\ScummVM or C:\Program Files\ScummVM\Savegames or similar... so check there as well.

Please report here if you have no luck and if so, which version of Windows you are running
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Also, what does the procedure for Win7 given previously show i.e. What do you see when you click on " 'Saved Games (old default)' from the Saved Games section of ScummVM on the Start Menu. " and "'Saved Games (new default)' from the Saved Games section of ScummVM on the Start Menu."...