any ideas about discworld?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

tanatie

any ideas about discworld?

Post by tanatie »

Any ideas about whether or not I can play Discworld 2 - mortality bytes and 3 - noir (especially 2) on windows xp with scummvm? if not what else can I do? I really loved that game years ago and since then I've read every discworld book I could find and now that the game could be even better (couse of the refferences) I can't seem to find a way of playing it anymore. Although I haven't tried scummvm yet couse it's not mentioned anywhere in the help file...
Thanks for the help!
Last edited by tanatie on Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clem

Post by clem »

no, those games are not supported by ScummVM (as a quick glance at the compatibility page would have shown you)

Discworld 2 plays well in DOSBox I think, no idea about Discworld Noir
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

clem wrote: Discworld 2 plays well in DOSBox I think
There is a win32 only version, which doesn't play with dosbox, though, dunno about a plain dos version.
tanatie

Post by tanatie »

so in other words there's no way of playing the game? through some other program/emulator maybe?
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

most versions have a dos and win32 version on the cd's. check the FAQ at the discworld game pages on Lspace.org to find out how to get it running on xp

http://www.lspace.org/games/discworld/index.html

hope this helps
tanatie

Post by tanatie »

so do I...thanks...
ddkram

Post by ddkram »

well discworld noir works fine in XP. i am actually playing discworld noir on XP currently.
and i got discworld 1 to work by just changing my compatability (right clicking the EXE i run it from and changing it to win98) one of my PC's with XP but the other one it worked but without sound so i aint sure why maybe its my hardware.
tanatie

Post by tanatie »

ok, I just got discworld 2 running. I had to make a few adjustments in dosbox. Now it works find except for two things: the sound has a buzz in the background (maybe I chose the wrong sound card...how do I know which one to choose?) and the sound and the video are a bit "jumpy" i.e. rincewind moves around normally, but when the screen moves or a video plays it skips about 70% of the frames...like if a video would be 10 seconds long it would show me the first second, then the 2, 3, 4 seconds would be skipped, it would show 5 and 6, then skip the rest until the final frame. the music kinda goes along with that...

discworld noir installs normally on my comp but it shuts down after about 15 minutes or so...last time I played it it happened just after I got to the ankh cafe...don't know why this happens either though...
ADutchGuy

Post by ADutchGuy »

I found a great step-by-step guide on vogons for running Discworld II using VDMSound, you might try it:

http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.p ... =discworld

Hope this helps, it did for me :)

ADG
tanatie

Post by tanatie »

thanks, I'll keep the link handy for some friends who wanna play the game...I got the sound figured out through guessing though...now it's almost perfect...

I am stuck though...what do I do to find the answer to the question why (that's the quest the mad philosopher sitting on the pole gives you, saying angus want's to know...)?
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

you can get spoiler free hints for discworld 2 @
http://www.uhs-hints.com/uhsweb/disc2.php
hope this helps
kimad

Post by kimad »

tanatie wrote:thanks, I'll keep the link handy for some friends who wanna play the game...I got the sound figured out through guessing though...now it's almost perfect...

I am stuck though...what do I do to find the answer to the question why (that's the quest the mad philosopher sitting on the pole gives you, saying angus want's to know...)?
it's a while since i played it, but i believe you have to ask HEX, the ant-powered machine in the high energy facility. talk to skazz.
Mon1018
Spammer

Post by Mon1018 »

but i know most versions have a dos and win32 version on the cd's. :oops:
Robot_Maker20

Post by Robot_Maker20 »

Didn't the ScummVM team actually get official permission to support Discworld 1 & 2? I thought there was just a problem finding the source code, and that people are understandably reluctant to start reverse-engineering them while there's still a chance the code will be supplied?
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Robot_Maker20 wrote:Didn't the ScummVM team actually get official permission to support Discworld 1 & 2? I thought there was just a problem finding the source code, and that people are understandably reluctant to start reverse-engineering them while there's still a chance the code will be supplied?
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Tinsel