Larry 1 corrupted version

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

tumbleweed

Larry 1 corrupted version

Post by tumbleweed »

Hi!

I am plannign to try some Sierra adventures, and I started browsing Larry 1 VGA versions.

Looking ScummVM detections, it seems to exist only one version of spanish VGA Larry, but there is a message indicating "this is a known corrupted version". Where can I find info on this topic? What does it mean corrupted (corrupted from what) if it is the only one?

I own precisely the original Sierra Larry Collection's 1-2-3-4-5-6, but my CD drive does not work by now so I can not check it is really the same version as my old backup (which matches the aforementioned md5, but I am not sure if I keep it from the very CD or from another source).

Besides, what is the actual difference between english versions 2.0 and 2.1? Are we sure it is only the protection questions at the beggining?

Edit: Lastly, (I know I ask too much, but you know better than noone these thingS) I am interested in knowing whether you identified any Larry 7 retail version that came out-of-the box as 1.20v
Thanks my firends!
m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer

Re: Larry 1 corrupted version

Post by m_kiewitz »

tumbleweed wrote:Looking ScummVM detections, it seems to exist only one version of spanish VGA Larry, but there is a message indicating "this is a known corrupted version". Where can I find info on this topic? What does it mean corrupted (corrupted from what) if it is the only one?
I wasn't able to find out who originally added that comment (sev copied it over from another file). I tried that version yesterday and noticed, that at least the transitions weren't working correctly in ScummVM. This was caused by a hack, that I added in 2010, which made ScummVM detect that version of the game as SCI1 MIDDLE instead of the proper SCI1 LATE. This was done because of a bug report.

I then removed that code and everything still worked. My guess is that we already fixed the actual issues properly in the last few years.

I tested a few rooms and I couldn't find any issues. So maybe the whole comment isn't true.

If you own that version and want to play through it, just go for it. It would be interesting if everything works now. You would have to use the latest ScummVM daily build though.
I own precisely the original Sierra Larry Collection's 1-2-3-4-5-6
The Spanish LSL1 VGA version is definitely not included in the European Leisure Suit Larry Collections. It may be on the US LSL Collections, but I can't check that, because I don't own those (yet).
Besides, what is the actual difference between english versions 2.0 and 2.1? Are we sure it is only the protection questions at the beggining?
2.0 and 2.1 use different versions of the Sierra interpreter. Finding out the exact differences would be quite some work. Sierra often fixed a few bugs here and there. It shouldn't really matter.
I am interested in knowing whether you identified any Larry 7 retail version that came out-of-the box as 1.20v
Larry 7 is using SCI32 and is not yet supported.
tumbleweed

Post by tumbleweed »

m_kiewitz wrote: If you own that version and want to play through it, just go for it. It would be interesting if everything works now. You would have to use the latest ScummVM daily build though.
Yes, I was using last one and I did not see any important bug, that is why I was curious. Thanks!
I own precisely the original Sierra Larry Collection's 1-2-3-4-5-6
The Spanish LSL1 VGA version is definitely not included in the European Leisure Suit Larry Collections. It may be on the US LSL Collections, but I can't check that, because I don't own those (yet).
[/quote]

Indeed I did not check it but now you said that, I just come from checking it in my old games shelf, since I was shocked as I bought it a decade ago, and I was sure I would remember playing a non-translated game (I learnt english later), but yes, in the backcover of the box itself, I can see the french, british and german flags with localized comments but no spanish. Anyway I could not check it as I have no CD-ROM drive currently.
2.0 and 2.1 use different versions of the Sierra interpreter. Finding out the exact differences would be quite some work. Sierra often fixed a few bugs here and there. It shouldn't really matter.
I was asking this because I assumed my copy was the spanish one, it was corrupted, and I started browsing versions and preparing to buy an english copy, so it was important to know what are the differences among last versions, beign 2.0 easy to get. But now I know I have the english one so it does not worry me anymore.. Life is a casuality hahaha

I am interested in knowing whether you identified any Larry 7 retail version that came out-of-the box as 1.20v
True, but detections table have some comment regarding that issue, so a certain degree of research must have been already done.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

tumbleweed wrote:
True, but detections table have some comment regarding that issue, so a certain degree of research must have been already done.
There has been a lot of work on SCI32... which is why you see the detection entry. However, a lot of things are still missing, and LSL7 is definitely not playable (e.g. all the right click menu options are missing, so you can't interact with anything, some scenes aren't working because of unsupported large game scripts etc)